Poll: What's with the "Pineapple on Pizza" debate?

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Nothing better for my first thread post than a political discussion.

So I'm really noticing a pattern within the last couple of years at most. Everyone's heard the whole debate about putting pineapple on pizza (which I don't enjoy), but people have been doing it for years. What I'm confused about is why this "debate" is suddenly coming up now. What is the deal with the whole "pineapple on pizza" controversy as of late? Who instigated this in the first place?

And you know what, I'm just gonna add a poll for fun to see how you guys weigh in on the (issue).

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's one of those eternal internet questions. It come and goes, much like the Star Wars/Star Trek debate or the innumerable "who would win" arguments. It's the memetic equivalent of the Flu, we just got a more virulent strain this go around.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"Suddenly coming up now"?

Dude, people have been having casually arguing about pineapple on pizza for at least 20 years. And that's just from my memory, it's likely been going on long before that.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm just gonna chalk it up to one of those eternal questions the internet decided to latch onto.

As for why the question exists in the first place? No idea. Maybe some people believe sweet fruits should not be used as an ingredient in hearty dishes. Which I think is kind of silly. There are really tasty combos of sweet and hearty. Pineapple and ham. Cantaloupe melon and serrano ham. Dates and black forest ham.

Or maybe they feel it's not 'authentic' on pizza. Hogwash, pizza has spread so far and wide, adapted to so many local styles and flavours, that any talk of authenticity becomes kind of moot unless you want one in the traditional local style. Also, tastes evolve, cuisine evolves. Always sticking to what you know and never experimenting will only have you miss out on amazing new tastes.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I can see why some like it. It provides great contrast between the greasy, darker flavours of the pizza and the sweet, brighter flavour of pineapple. For me, it's too much of a contrast and reminds me I'm a fat sack eating a ridiculously unhealthy meal.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
The only fruit that should be on a pizza is tomatoes, anything else is just the work of the devil!!!!!!!!
Meats = good, extra meet = heaven; Pepperoni and/or sausage is acceptable, almost required to be on a pizza. Fungus thrown on top??? Of course, that is always a tasty bit.
But pineapple? Clearly, it's a sign from, you know ... down there in that place ... of the end times! REPENT! REPENT!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Considering the popularity of TeamFourStar, I'm willing to bet this was a catalyst for the sudden resurgence of the topic, unless it was just part of the collateral damage.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I am against pineapple on pizza. Pile on the meat to the heavens. Also, the toilet paper roll should be orientated so that is comes out over the roll. Never under.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
all these "people" against the fruit of the gods being on pizza.. how dare you and you should be ashamed of yourselves!

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Cycloptomese said:
I am against pineapple on pizza. Pile on the meat to the heavens. Also, the toilet paper roll should be orientated so that is comes out over the roll. Never under.
Wha... what kind of sick monster has the toilet paper come out under the roll?

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
Here's one of my favorite pizza topping combo, chorizo and pineapple. Yea, I'm one of those weirdos that likes pineapple on my pizza.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
TrulyBritish said:
Cycloptomese said:
I know, right? If it comes out under, when you tug on it a whole bunch comes out and you have to either roll it back up, which always ends up wonky, or waste paper.

Infohippie makes a decent point regarding cats above, but I keep the bathroom door closed so it eliminates the issue entirely.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Cycloptomese said:
TrulyBritish said:
Cycloptomese said:
I know, right? If it comes out under, when you tug on it a whole bunch comes out and you have to either roll it back up, which always ends up wonky, or waste paper.

Infohippie makes a decent point regarding cats above, but I keep the bathroom door closed so it eliminates the issue entirely.
You are close with you life philosophy, but you made a slight mistake. Here is the correct way to live ones life:

Pet: Cat (Correct)
Toilet paper: Over (Correct)
Pizza: No pineapple (Wrong)

Pineapple on pizza is great and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a racist, communist, virgin, fury, nazi, Trump supporter, whore, remoaner, dude-bro, conspiracy theorist with crippling daddy issues and repressed emotional trauma that threatens to devour their very soul each night, bit by bit loosing what little humanity they once had, until all that is left is their inability to eat a tasty pizza.

Feb 7, 2016
I like pineapple.
I like pizza.

But warm pineapple tastes fucking rotten.

But. Pizza is pizza. You order that shit and then offer me a slice, I'll eat it. At worst I'll pick it off.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Pineapple on pizza is perfectly fine, it's pretty nice even.

I prefer anchovies though.

Also, kind of baffled we have a 50/50 split here.

saphiren

Full diving
Jul 8, 2009
pookie101 said:
all these "people" against the fruit of the gods being on pizza.. how dare you and you should be ashamed of yourselves!
Pineapple is disgusting and actively tries to digest your mouth.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Bobular said:
Cycloptomese said:
TrulyBritish said:
Cycloptomese said:

You are close with you life philosophy, but you made a slight mistake. Here is the correct way to live ones life:

Pet: Cat (Correct)
Toilet paper: Over (Correct)
Pizza: No pineapple (Wrong)

Pineapple on pizza is great and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a racist, communist, virgin, fury, nazi, Trump supporter, whore, remoaner, dude-bro, conspiracy theorist with crippling daddy issues and repressed emotional trauma that threatens to devour their very soul each night, bit by bit loosing what little humanity they once had, until all that is left is their inability to eat a tasty pizza.
But I am all those things AND I dislike pineapple on pizza.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm actually not surprised by how evenly the split is in that poll...I can see the appeal of adding some sweet to the salty/savory flavor of pizza but personally, I don't like it. I've tried it more than once but I just can't enjoy it. What I do like is the earthy/nutty flavor you get with black olives and how it plays with the super savory/salty flavor of bacon on a pizza.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
You know, sometimes I need to re-evaluate my own first world privileges. I sit here, oblivious to the suffering and misery and misfortune of others, criticizing them for things that they cannot even help.

I mean, who am I, so privileged to live in New York, and know the pleasure of real pizza, to criticized poor dirty foreigners (you too Americans in other states) for their fake pizza and terrible choice of toppings?

I should donate to something...

For only the price of a slice of pizza...(and airfare) you can give a poor hungry out of towner the joy of good pizza...

(Im hungry...)