Poll: What's Your Favorite Fruit?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Rastelin said:
The banana. The atheist nightmare... Haha

No really, it is the king of the fruit kingdom.
I see someone's been watching Kirk Cameron Hahahahaha

Now I wan't a banana phone

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Apples, specifically of the Granny Smith variety. They have to have that satisfying crunch when you bite in to them (no soft apples), be very juicy and very sweet.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Pineapple all day. Preferably grilled but I'll take it however I can get it.

Also, there's this one kind of cherry I forget the name of that's absolutely amazing.

Josufu

Jun 13, 2010
I prefer apples. They're quick and easy. Little to no prep work involved. Inexpensive, depending on the type of apple. Filling. Tasty. Mmmmm. I've had three Red Delicious apples today, and I picked up a bag of Fuji apples on the way home.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yopaz said:
Guffe said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
The banana is a herb not a fruit!!!!

On Topic:

Citruis fruits for me, oranges and tangerins.

Captcha: Tastes like chicken
o_O wtf
Actually, banana is a berry and so are oranges and tangerines.
You sure?
Oranges grow in trees so they can't be berries!?
Bananas my biology teacher told me are herbs and so I've heard from a few others too but never berries, where does that come from?

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
It's so hard to choose! I love a majority of fruit and vegetables (except raw onions. BACK TO HELL WITH YOU BEAST!).

But if I can only choose one poll option, sign me up for Berries (Strawberries specifically).

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Nectarines, how could you not mention those? They are like the peach's much cooler and tastier cousin, and depending on whether it's firm or soft, you have a different experience every time you put it in your mouth.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Apples for the mutherfuckin' win!

Golden Delicious are the best. No doubt.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Well I am one of the Strawberry eaters.

I don't know, I just love the sour/sweet flavor on a nice breezy hot day outside. Especially if I am on a hill.

Strawberry make any event better! ^_^ (Even your funeral if you don't agree with me. 0_0)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Guffe said:
Yopaz said:
Guffe said:

On Topic:

o_O wtf
You sure?
Bananas my biology teacher told me are herbs and so I've heard from a few others too but never berries, where does that come from?
The banana plant is a herb, that the plant is a herb means that it wont have a visible plant over ground during the off-season. The part of the plant that we eat is just a mean of spreading seeds (though the banana doesn't have that anymore). A berry is defined by the fact that it is made out of one gynoecium which gives a single (often juicy) fruit with several seeds inside (there are exceptions to this). The banana is confusing as a fruit because it no longer have seeds and only reproduce by cloning, but in the past it used to have several large, hard seeds which made it less popular. So you are kinda right when you say that banana is a herb, but that only refers to the plant not the part we eat.

Citrus fruits are clearly berries because they have several seeds per fruit (again there are exceptions with clementines which most confuse with tangerines).

A tree is not as easily defined since we generally learn to assume that trees are only those big pieces of wood that has a lot of branches and either have needles or leaves (worst definition I have seen was that trees are bigger than bushes). The smallest species of tree (Salix herbacea) doesn't get much taller than about 2 inches. Honestly I'm not sure how to define it, but I think a tree is simply a plant which is built up by cellulose, hemi-cellulose and lignin to get a woody structure.

Feel free to ignore this next part if you're not interested in me rambling about useless stuff I have learned from studying too much biology, it's a little off topic form what we actually talked about.

The definitions, our lack of knowledge and the language we speak are causes for all of these misunderstanding. Strawberry is a part of the rose family and so is raspberry. Thus it would make sense that these two had the same kind of fruit knowing our taxonomy, it would make sense that both are berries since both have the word berry in their name and we don't really know the definition those damn botanists have for the different plants and all that. However the strawberry is a composition of flower that has swollen and the green spots covering it are in fact nuts. The Raspberry is in fact several small fruits called drupes that are defined by a single hard seed in the centre, which have gathered together to look like a bigger fruit in order to stand out more for possible animals that can spread it.

Now I hope I haven't just been rambling here and just created more confusion by using expressions without providing an explanation and actually given you some increased understanding. I have a lot of interest in plant, both structure, strategy, taxonomy so I have the habit of talking too much about it, sorry about that.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Oh gosh, it's too difficult to decide. I couldn't possibly pick one fruit over all other fruits, and you sir, are a demon for trying to make me choose!! Anyways, I will just try and Rank them in levels/tiers instead, at the top being the best and bottom being the least best.

Tier 1- Honeydew melons, mangoes, pomegranates, raspberries, watermelons, tangerines, pineapples
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 2- Grapes, strawberries, blackberries, kiwis, tangelos, green apples, oranges, blueberries, coconuts, grapefruit, lemons, limes, pears, plums(the more sour the better), peaches, apricots, cherries
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tier 3- Red apples, bananas, clementines, papayas
And here at the bottom, is one fruit that I feel has no redeeming value, a fruit that makes me feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Here at the bottom, is the avocado. Avocados can all disappear you wretched, little bastards.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yopaz said:
Guffe said:
Yopaz said:
Guffe said:

On Topic:

o_O wtf
You sure?
The banana plant is a herb, that the plant is a herb means that it wont have a visible plant over ground during the off-season. The part of the plant that we eat is just a mean of spreading seeds (though the banana doesn't have that anymore). A berry is defined by the fact that it is made out of one gynoecium which gives a single (often juicy) fruit with several seeds inside (there are exceptions to this). The banana is confusing as a fruit because it no longer have seeds and only reproduce by cloning, but in the past it used to have several large, hard seeds which made it less popular. So you are kinda right when you say that banana is a herb, but that only refers to the plant not the part we eat.

Citrus fruits are clearly berries because they have several seeds per fruit (again there are exceptions with clementines which most confuse with tangerines).

A tree is not as easily defined since we generally learn to assume that trees are only those big pieces of wood that has a lot of branches and either have needles or leaves (worst definition I have seen was that trees are bigger than bushes). The smallest species of tree (Salix herbacea) doesn't get much taller than about 2 inches. Honestly I'm not sure how to define it, but I think a tree is simply a plant which is built up by cellulose, hemi-cellulose and lignin to get a woody structure.

Feel free to ignore this next part if you're not interested in me rambling about useless stuff I have learned from studying too much biology, it's a little off topic form what we actually talked about.

The definitions, our lack of knowledge and the language we speak are causes for all of these misunderstanding. Strawberry is a part of the rose family and so is raspberry. Thus it would make sense that these two had the same kind of fruit knowing our taxonomy, it would make sense that both are berries since both have the word berry in their name and we don't really know the definition those damn botanists have for the different plants and all that. However the strawberry is a composition of flower that has swollen and the green spots covering it are in fact nuts. The Raspberry is in fact several small fruits called drupes that are defined by a single hard seed in the centre, which have gathered together to look like a bigger fruit in order to stand out more for possible animals that can spread it.

Now I hope I haven't just been rambling here and just created more confusion by using expressions without providing an explanation and actually given you some increased understanding. I have a lot of interest in plant, both structure, strategy, taxonomy so I have the habit of talking too much about it, sorry about that.
That was actually a really interesting and not confusing read, thanks.
I just learned a few new things today, well saying this somtime to my friends when drunk with the argument " a random guy on the internet told me so" might not sound too good but you seem knowledgable and interested in this stuff so I'll believe you (either feel happy for me not being an ass and contnuing to debate or then be happy for screwing someone over in case you made all that up :p).
And the tangerine and clementine thing, don't worry I used to work in grocery store ;)
But thanks again, a really interesting read you gave me!!!