Poll: What's Your Opinion of the Halo Series?

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
I loved what I played of it, simply because it didn't give unfair advantages to those who play it way too much. It seems, however, that halo 4 will ruin all of that. I've played enough of CoD to know what it's like as a level 1 being nailed by a bunch of high level guys. Seriously developers, would you kindly keep levelling out of pvp. It ruins the point.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I like them. I know that some people say the story is impenetrable or that is unrealistic but I've not had any problems with the first and I don't want a realistic shooter

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
I've loved Halo ever since I picked up Halo 2 in '04. I'll be the first to admit it's hardly innovative or special, but nonetheless, it's still damn good entertainment with a rich, engrossing universe.

ODST was actually my favorite. I don't understand people who say it's a "50-dollar expansion". That makes no sense to me, given that it has a LONGER campaign than Halo 3 and a new multiplayer mode, as well as modifications (slight ones, but still) to the graphics and gameplay.

Seriously, people, dafuq are you talking about?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I liked CE, and found the ones after it lackluster. Easily prefer other shooters to the newer ones, though the ones I prefer are older too. Those compared to CE and they probably still come out on top. CE wins in the campaign, but the multiplayer isn't to my tastes.

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
If you ask me, Halo 1 was an attempt to bring something like Half Life to consoles. It's got some clear comparisions, like Headcrabs and the Flood. It was fun to play, don't get me wrong. I've always enjoyed the game.

Halo 2 gets a lot of hate - and that's mostly because of cut content and the lackluster ending. But I liked it. It took the simplicity of the first game and tried to be more mature about everything - especially with the focus on the Elites and the Arbiter. You could very well argue that they were more critical to the plot than the plight of Earth and the Master Chief. The writing was the best of the Halo series..

Halo 3, while more fun to play, was a step back in that regard. All the problems are solved with even more Forerunner stuff, the Elites are given a back seat, turning the more complex motivations of the Covenant established in Halo 2. Just look at the Prophet of Truth. As for ODST, it was an experiment, not one that I'm particularly found of.

Reach and I have issues. The writing is ... poor. And while the Covenant does torch the planet, the sheer amount of time it takes in comparison to Earth in Halo 2/3 combined with the focus on how "awesome" and noble Spartans are just feels like some sort of fanboy wish fulfilment. And how humans are basically the best thing ever.

That's just my take on it. I've been playing them since CE came out. I'm curious where Microsoft is taking the franchise. From what I've heard the tie in books have been rubbish - nonsense about how the Flood were cured by humans who also fought the Forerunnners. I dunno, whatever.

Oct 2, 2010
bigfatcarp93 said:
ODST was actually my favorite. I don't understand people who say it's a "50-dollar expansion". That makes no sense to me, given that it has a LONGER campaign than Halo 3
Not if you're one of the people who blasted through it in 3-5 hours on normal. But with that playstyle, it's hardly shocking that those people didn't like it. I've found that really enjoyable playthroughs of Halo games tend to take much longer than if I was really pushing for time; the main exception is probably speedrunning.

as well as modifications (slight ones, but still) to the graphics and gameplay.
Yeah, mostly a wider FoV* and more mature (and somewhat qualitatively different) use of the capacities the Halo 3 engine makes available. I actually think it's a really cool case of engine-use iteration for Halo, considering that Halo games usually have their engine totally gutted and rebuilt between releases. And the result is amazing.

The gameplay modifications are also a nice thing, I think. Ironically, switching out full regen for mostly-non-regen actually wound up letting Bungie reduce enemy damage to player while maintaining challenge, which in some ways can actually encourage agressive maneuvre combat. It doesn't pull the series all the way into Halo 1 mode (and it probably shouldn't, given what the game is supposedly trying to do), but it gives it certain advantages over Halo's 2 and 3.

*The FoV is actually normalized to about the same as Halo 1's, which is AWESOME; we're talking 70 degrees for 4:3, almost 90 for 16:9, and almost 110 for 8:3 split-screen! Approximate (give or take a couple degrees on a measurement) results for FoV throughout the entire series are here [http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive38.pl?read=1138638].

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Tanis said:
It's the FF7 of FPS.

Yes, it's the game that popped a LOT of cherries for console gamers who had never played a FPS online, but that's about it.

Mediocre main series, with a crappy RTS, and mediocre anime movie thing.
Better analogy would be that Halo is to Halo 2 as FF VI is to FF VII. FF VII/Halo 2 is the flashier one that got a lot of hype and raised a dedicated following that would go on to characterize the series' stereotypical fan boy and the direction its future iterations would take trying to recapture that success. In retrospect we would realize that the former (FF VI/Halo 1 for PC) was better game play wise, and the third game proceeding it (FF IX/Halo: Reach) would try to be more reminiscent of that, to generally positive (yet mixed) results.

captcha: same same

Too true, too true.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I'm torn.
I love Halo. It was the game that first got me into gaming in the first place, single player, multiplayer with friends. I really got into the gameplay and I fell in love with the lore and mythos like of course the MIGHTY SANGHREILI!!

No matter what I will always love the Halo trilogy and I even am a fan of Halo: Reach and even ODST. I have also watched, and own, Halo Legends. I also have a lot of figures and collectables and statues from Halo, a lot of them Elites.

However in spite of this I really am having a problem with the direction Halo is going. I never liked the whole 'Halo 4' thing in the first place because I honestly thought that Halo 3 made it pretty clear that Halo was over. The Covenant defeated, the humans and the Elites possibly forging a lasting alliance, the Flood was destroyed and the Halo Array is deactivated. Literally every plot element revealed at the beginning of the trilogy had been resolved, all the loose ends tied. I could write for hours about all the ways it wrapped up so nicely and left with closure, how poetic some elements of it were.

That's why a sequel where suddenly 'OMG THERE ARE STILL SOME COVENANT LOYALISTS AND NEW FORERUNNER EVIL THAT SOME HOW WENT UNNOTICED BY BOTH THE UNSC AND THE COVENANT DESPITE A THIRTY YEAR GALAXY SPANNING WAR ALL AROUND FORERUNNER AREAS' feels like there is a serious risk of diminishing the effect of the original and possibly removing things I liked about Halo in the first place.

I admit it is too early to tell, maybe I shouldn't worry but I can't help it.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
My view of Halo in a nutshell

Halo Combat Evolved: Great gameplay, neat story, nice twist, innovative vehicle operation, great multiplayer mode, good but limited arsenal, Cortana is awesome.

Halo 2: Mostly the same gameplay, bizarre story directions, few new ideas, fewer good ones, more and improved vehicles, more but definitely not improved weapons, again good multiplayer, Cortana still awesome but looks different.

Halo 3: Gameplay good but playing it safe, complicated weird story, disappointingly short campaign, lot's of cool vehicles, shitloads of mixed bag weapons, Crazy out of this world good multiplayer, Cortana is creepy hallucination/ghost girl now apparently.

Hal0 3 ODST: Halo 3 what?

Halo Reach: They made another one?

Halo 4: Are you fucking serious?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Vrex360 said:
That's why a sequel where suddenly 'OMG THERE ARE STILL SOME COVENANT LOYALISTS AND NEW FORERUNNER EVIL THAT SOME HOW WENT UNNOTICED BY BOTH THE UNSC AND THE COVENANT DESPITE A THIRTY YEAR GALAXY SPANNING WAR ALL AROUND FORERUNNER AREAS' feels like there is a serious risk of diminishing the effect of the original and possibly removing things I liked about Halo in the first place.

I admit it is too early to tell, maybe I shouldn't worry but I can't help it.
Galaxies are big, if your suprised this things went unnoticed then you must think that even with space travel that the whole galaxy would be mapped. It will be nearly impossible to map ever spot. Hell with how big the Ark was, surprised no one noticed it just outside the milky way.

Really, while there was many Forerunner stuff in the war before the end of the war it doesn't mean all of it's secrets could be found. Espicially since Humanity only found ruins of Forerunner tech shortly before and during the war.

And if the Forerunner Evil (which considering they basically said the Didact ISN'T the ancient evil, hardly makes the Forerunners evil) was stuck inside a shield world, it would be pretty hard to miss unless someone was actively searching for it. Since they weren't and they found it because of the Forward Unto Dawns Signal, I would say it's unsurprising that it took so long.

Also about the Covenant Loyalists...

SANGEHILI HAVE LISTENED TO THE RELIGION FOR OVER 2000 YEARS, IF YOU THINK THEY WOULD ABANDON IT OVERNIGHT, YOU UNDERESTIMATE SENTIENT BEINGS.

Considering it is indeed a religion and how many religions have spawned off of one, it's it that hard to imagine a race that is very honor based would maybe sects of the religion, or prehaps believe the Prophets were mislead?

The Sangheili aren't a hivemind, they're fully sintient beings that all think differently. I think you need to get over the fact that R'tas + Thel'Vadam =/= All of Sangheili.

Just like how the UNSC =/= All of Humanity.

I have heard you written that you think they're trying to make Humanity out to be the best... You know that's really hard to imagine SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN MAKING THEM OUT BE THE BIGGEST ASSHOLES POST AND BEFORE THE WAR.

Hell the Sangheili civil-war was pushed by ONI to heavily happen, and was even giving weapons to the Servants of Abiding Truth so that the war would happen and hope that Thel'Vadam would be killed in the process as they want to get the UNSC reason to go in and wipe out the Sangheili to stop any chance of a Great War from ever happening and that no one would ever stand in Humanity's way again.

If that isn't making Humanity more out to be the villian, then I don't know what else to say.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
Love the games.

Story is fun, good art direction, (they actually use all the colors)the mechanics are solid. Controls are really smooth. The games just feel really polished.

Multiplayer is a total blast too.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
It's one of the most averagest of average games ever created by man... sure it's functional and does most things right... but it does nothing great... there's nothing special about it... everything it does has been done before and it's been done better by plenty of games...

The only real reason it's remembered was because on the consoles it was first... that was about it...<.<

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
I love Halo but I felt a bit let down by Reach multiplayer wise, the story itself was fine and I liked the ending. My favourite is probably 3 for multiplayer and CE for campaign.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
To paraphrase Yahtzee, "It's average, run-of-the-mill...everything Halo has done has been done before and better..."

As a shooter itself, it is solid. I just wish that the writers would stop trying to give it so much emotional weight, because it's just amusing to watch. I honestly couldn't care less about Chief's story, because he's nothing more than a faceless walking billboard of Patriotism. They try to push the sad-feels too much. This isn't an emotional game; you are punching ugly little aliens in the face with colorful guns while their heads explode into confetti.

That being said, I always get my money's worth out of the games multiplayer. I'm sure I'll have plenty of memories to keep with me from Halo 4's multiplayer as well.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
My opinion of Halo is that it was a well made product, an even better marketed product, and that it threw away much of the innovation that had gone into console shooters up to that time and marked the start of the decline of console shooters.

Rant Incoming:

Everything except for regen health and people bouncing in vehicles had been done two years before in Perfect Dark. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Timesplitters games that followed were the ones that defined how a FPS could control perfectly on a console. Halo just threw it all out and emulated the PC tactic of rooting the crosshair to the centre, which is far better suited to a mouse than a gamepad. Let's look at it this way:

Goldeneye brought us:

*Fluid, console tailored controls
*Variable zoom aiming for different guns
*non-linear and highly varied level design
*Huge arsenal of weapons, all of which could be held at once
*Different objectives for each difficulty setting, with unlockable levels for higher difficulties
*Cheats, unlockable by completing difficult specific speed runs, and would not let players advance through the story when activated
*Split screen multiplayer for four people, including five modes
*Multiplayer maps tailored to 4 players or less
*Dual wielding weapons
*Emphasis on stealth and objectives over brute strength (though it was still possible)

Perfect Dark added:

*secondary functions for all weapons
*Dual Wielding in multiplayer, four years before Halo 2
*Six modes in multiplayer
*up to 8 computer controlled bots in multiplayer, with everything customisable from skill level to tactics and preferred weapons. Friendly bots could even be ordered around during a match.
*Larger interior and exterior locations
*level starting spots and other factors dependent on actions performed in previous levels
*Co-operative mode
*Counter-operative mode
*Various single and multiplayer challenges

Halo introduced:

*Better graphics and levels being larger still
*Enhanced flanking enemy AI
*Better vehicle physics
*Regenerating health
*ported PC/Mac controls
*LAN support with up to 16 players

and so Halo removed:

*Console tailored controls
*non-linear level design
*All weapons being held at once
*Dual wielding
*Different objectives for each difficulty
*Multiplayer maps tailored to 4 players or less
*Emphasis on stealth (for the most part)
*Secondary functions
*Down to 5 multiplayer modes again
*Multiplayer bots of any kind
*A lot of the multiplayer customisation as seen in Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, and The World Is Not Enough
*Counter operative mode
*Singleplayer and multiplayer challenges

TL:DR:

If anything, Halo pioneered a few forward steps in the console FPS market (side-steps, in the case of regen health), and the rest were big steps back in the development of the genre. Due to it's popularity, however, rivals sought to copy the bare minimum approach Halo adopted, and as a result, console FPSes have been lacking the earlier pioneering features ever since.

Hell even The World is Not Enough and Timesplitters 2 are in some ways better made games than Halo.

I was actually shocked to discover lately that for all the mass marketing and media coverage the series saturated everyone with, it was not until Halo 3 came out that a Halo game outsold Goldeneye. All the more surprising considering how massive the console shooter playerbase had become following Halo's release.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Halo 3 was the game that got me into competitive online gaming.

I used to play UT online on the PC, but that was about it. Fast forward a few years and I got an Xbox 360 with Live to hook up with some mates I'd moved away from. They got me online playing Halo 3 with them and the rest was history. I had played Halo CE and 2 before offline, but that was just some pissing around. Bloody good games nevertheless.

At the moment I just dabble in Reach once or twice a fortnight. Too much luck involved with blooming reticles, and the default maps are pretty poorly designed. I can't play an hour of Team Slayer or Objective without witnessing a spawnkill; plus grenades and armour lock amongst other things. Those buggered up the Halo feel but I enjoy Reach as an almost "non-canon" Halo game... sometimes.

Custom games, theatre mode, forge and 4-player co-op. Need I say more?

I pre-ordered Halo 4 after watching developer diaries on Waypoint. Can't wait. It seems 343i have undone some of Bungie's crazy changes whilst changing and adding some more suitable ones of their own.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I like the Halo series, more or less. In terms of gameplay, it's a great example of being able to switch between playstyles and scaleabilty. You have everything from stealthy unarmed combat, to clearing out buildings with a shotgun, to sniper battles, to pitched multi-vehicle battles, and for the most part it's all integrated pretty damn well without feeling like a series of separate set-pieces (well, there's Halo 2, but you know...)

Story and canon-wise, it's pretty good. A bit like Star Wars or Star Trek, it's a rich universe that's defined more by style and accessibility rather than originality. And, like Star Wars/Trek, if you let every last bit of fluff, canon, spin-off and side-story wind you up, you'd grind your teeth to stumps in frustration. Nerds like me like consistency, and it's annoying when some new team tramples over what was previously set-in-stone canon, or retcons chunks of the storyline, or introduces stuff in the prequels that outshines weapons/tech in the main series... but so far, so Star Wars, right? You don't need to like Jar Jar to acknowledge that lightsaber battles are really effin' cool.

I'm getting impatient for Halo 4 - both because Reach multiplayer is starting to feel stale, and because I'd like to be either vindicated in my cynicism for the storyline changes, or be pleasantly surprised.