Poll: What's your religion?

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
I have insufficient knowledge to say with certainty either way. As such, I am agnostic.

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
The Iron Ninja post=18.70309.687744 said:
Ares Tyr post=18.70309.687740 said:
Retoru post=18.70309.687731 said:
E.v.a.n.g.e.l post=18.70309.687717 said:
Atheist.
Too intelligent to buy into a religion.
Fixed that for you. :)
Touché.
Fixed that for you. (well not really, I just saw the opportunity and went for it)
You see, if I weren't Buddhist, I would've already found your address and killed you on your door step by now. But the word of the Buddha has saved you this day. You should thank God. You see? God has saved you.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Ares Tyr post=18.70309.687763 said:
Atheist.
Touché.
Fixed that for you. (well not really, I just saw the opportunity and went for it)
You see, if I weren't Buddhist, I would've already found your address and killed you on your door step by now. But the word of the Buddha has saved you this day. You should thank God. You see? God has saved you.
I would agree with you other than your use of the word god. Buddhists seem to not believe so much in god as a higher power.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus post=18.70309.687725 said:
Did you add the charismatic party yourself?

It's like saying "I'm a gorgeous Agnostic."
I'm not a pentecostal (I'm agnostic) but I wasn't sure if this was intentional sarcasm or just not knowing. Charismatic Christianity involves a lot of the more 'fringe' behaviour of various churches, quoting wiki:

"The charismatic movement begins with the adoption of certain beliefs typical of those held by Pentecostal Christians ? specifically what are known as the biblical charisms or spiritual gifts: glossolalia (speaking in tongues), prophesying, supernatural healing ? by those within mainstream Protestant and Roman Catholic churches."

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
Aries_Split post=18.70309.687769 said:
Atheist.
Touché.
I would agree with you other than your use of the word god. Buddhists seem to not believe so much in god as a higher power.
Being a Buddhist, this is something I would know. But I sacraficed my religious integrity for humor. Which shows how dedicated to comedy I am.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Ares Tyr post=18.70309.687782 said:
Aries_Split post=18.70309.687769 said:
Atheist.
Touché.
Being a Buddhist, this is something I would know. But I sacraficed my religious integrity for humor. Which shows how dedicated to comedy I am.
If only there was a church of comedy. I mean there's a fucking church of the Jedi, so why not?

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Answer me this Buddhists, and know beforehand that of all the religions I like your's best (Not including the Norse and devine lock religions).
Does your religion have a secret dance? Hmmm?

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
The Iron Ninja post=18.70309.687788 said:
Answer me this Buddhists, and know beforehand that of all the religions I like your's best (Not including the Norse and devine lock religions).
Actually, yes. But those are the more theistic versions.

We gots Tai Chi, though! And Shaolin Gung Fu (which by extension turns into about every other eastern martial art)!

Retoru

Aug 6, 2008
Atheist.
Douche.
Now, is calling me a douche really Right Speech? It seems you conveniently ignore the Eightfold Path when it suits your needs, doesn't it? I'd say it even violates Right Action, Right View, and Right Intention as well. So, in one post you managed to completely violate fully half of the tenants of the Path.

You can say you're a Buddhist all you like, but until you start to walk the Path and recognize the Truths you're just playing around at Buddhism.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Not that I know of. Although if you fastfoward a video of someone bowing to Buddha on an endless loop it is HILARIOUS.

Also:I am a officially a Buddhist. I took the oath thingy about a half an hour ago. I just happened to have a metal statue of the Buddha sitting around, so it wasn't too hard.

Retoru post=18.70309.687795 said:
Atheist.
Douche.
Now, is calling me a douche really Right Speech? It seems you conveniently ignore the Eightfold Path when it suits your needs, doesn't it? I'd say it even violates Right Action, Right View, and Right Intention as well. So, in one post you managed to completely violate fully half of the tenants of the Path.

You can say you're a Buddhist all you like, but until you start to walk the Path and recognize the Truths you're just playing around at Buddhism.
"The Buddha recommends that all his disciples keep the minimum of the Five Precepts. These are not rigid commandments that one is compelled to live by. They really are more like training rules that are taken voluntarily. They establish your virtue and protect you from harm in this life as well as in future lives. It is the foundation for your spiritual journey."

Retoru

Aug 6, 2008
Aries_Split post=18.70309.687796 said:
Not that I know of. Although if you fastfoward a video of someone bowing to Buddha on an endless loop it is HILARIOUS.

Also:I am a officially a Buddhist. I took the oath thingy about a half an hour ago. I just happened to have a metal statue of the Buddha sitting around, so it wasn't too hard.

Retoru post=18.70309.687795 said:
Atheist.
Douche.

"The Buddha recommends that all his disciples keep the minimum of the Five Precepts. These are not rigid commandments that one is compelled to live by. They really are more like training rules that are taken voluntarily. They establish your virtue and protect you from harm in this life as well as in future lives. It is the foundation for your spiritual journey."
Ah, but you still show that he violated his own stated belief. I established he broke 4 of the 8 precepts, so he's still got some catching up to do to maintain 5 of them.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Ares Tyr said:
The Iron Ninja said:
Actually, yes. But those are the more theistic versions.

We gots Tai Chi, though! And Shaolin Gung Fu (which by extension turns into about every other eastern martial art)!
The fact that they have names tells me that they are not secret dances.

Aries_split said:
(what he said)
I will grant you that the whole praying to Buddha sped up could well count as a secret dance though.

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
Did I ever mention that I am a very bad Buddhist? Just because I believe it is right does not mean that I follow it super-strictly. I treat other people kindly and fairly, but I'm also a martial artist, you gotta remember, and I really like to fight. My brand of Buddhism is kinda like ol' Samurai style. And he's a ninja, making us mortal enemies.

Atleast I maintain over five of the precepts.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Ares Tyr post=18.70309.687815 said:
Did I ever mention that I am a very bad Buddhist? Just because I believe it is right does not mean that I follow it super-strictly. I treat other people kindly and fairly, but I'm also a martial artist, you gotta remember, and I really like to fight. My brand of Buddhism is kinda like ol' Samurai style. And he's a ninja, making us mortal enemies.

I thought it was an "all or nothing" kind of thing...

Toasty

Aug 18, 2008
Hey Im catholic/christian, im far from perfect, im not a virgin an im not married either(or pregnant)(woohoo!:p), i dont lecture others about my beliefs, most of my freinds at school dont even know im christian.
-YES, I DO QUESTION THINGS IN MY RELIGION AND DONT JUST FOLLOW THINGS BLINDLY

i live life by the 'to each their own(way of life), as long as it doesnt hurt/drastically effect others around you' route.

And also, to disprove the belief that all christians/catholics hate homosexuals, i dont mind them, its their choice and their way of life, i wont criticise theirs an id like it if they didnt criticise mine.

- come to think of it, i'd be digusted with someone that smokes, but not someone thats gay.

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
Aries_Split post=18.70309.687819 said:

If you want to reach Nirvana it is. I'm mostly concerned with just maintaining good karma. I'm what you would call a 'lay-person'. Maybe my outlook will change with age, but at the moment I am a firey-hearted 18 year old with nothing to lose and the world in front of me. There's alot of fun to be had before I trade it in for a more concentrated life of insight.

Hell, the original Buddha, Siddhartha was a prince, husband, and father before being enlightened himself. Don't hold it against me.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Ares Tyr post=18.70309.687827 said:
Aries_Split post=18.70309.687819 said:

If you want to reach Nirvana it is. I'm mostly concerned with just maintaining good karma. I'm what you would call a 'lay-person'. Maybe my outlook will change with age, but at the moment I am a firey-hearted 18 year old with nothing to lose and the world in front of me. There's alot of fun to be had before I trade it in for a more concentrated life of insight.

Hell, the original Buddha, Siddhartha was a prince, husband, and father before being enlightened himself. Don't hold it against me.
I wasn't persecuting you, sorry if I came off that way. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up all my desires yet either. I think I'll enjoy my lust a little longer.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Would you two eat a cockroach if you stood on one? (for what it's worth I've heard they actually don't taste that bad when deep fried)

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
The Iron Ninja post=18.70309.687841 said:
Would you two eat a cockroach if you stood on one? (for what it's worth I've heard they actually don't taste that bad when deep fried)
...This post was stale like moldy quail and it equates to a big, fat, PHAIL!