Poll: When do you consider someone no longer a teen?

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
I turned 18 in May, and am now therefore legally an adult. Yet some of my friends still consider me to be a teen until I'm 20.

So I was wondering what the general consensus is here. When the person reaches legal adulthood, or when they turn 20?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Well, generally when they turn 20 since they're not something-teen anymore. That's literally what it is. A "teenager" is a person who has "-teen" in their age, there's no deeper meaning.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
When they turn 20, although the state of not being a teen doesn't mean anything of character, nor does being an adult, aside from the legal stuff.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Two words: Individual basis, when you stop acting like a teen, you are no longer a teen for me. You could be 30 years old and still be considered a teen in my eyes, likewise, you could be 15 years old and not be considered a teen to me for many reason, such as being raised in a culture where adolescence is near nonexistent. But if I were to generally go by my American culture and how I see things, people are usually no longer teens in between 18 and 20. They may still have teen tendencies, but many try to become more adult during this time, at least in my experience.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
When they finally learn what it means to be an adult. I know people in their 20s that are still "teenagers". They're questioning their identities, They still haven't grasped the ideas of taking responsibilities, they are still dealing with knowing how to work in this world, etc.

It may seem like I'm dismissing teenagers here, but I am not. It's a fact of life that everyone goes through. You may already have done this in your teenage years, but life tends to be a bit surprising in this period of time and make you realize that you're still have a lot to go through.

Edit: Also, read this batboy http://www.amazon.com/Adulting-Become-Grown-up-Easy-Steps/dp/1455516902

It may seem like a silly book, but it really helps to figure adulthood out.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Obviously when their age no longer ends with the word "teen".

If you based your definition of teenager and adult on the age of majority and when a country decides someone is legally an adult, then you would end up with silly situations where a 18 year old from the UK would be considered an adult and older than a 20 year old "teenager" from the US (or other place where the age of majority is 21).

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
You just turned eighTEEN so you're still a teen. You'll still be one when you turn nineTEEN. It's only when you turn twenty that you'll no longer be a teen.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Technically it's obviously when they no longer have "teen" in their age, but mentally I suppose I just consider it as when they are of legal age. It's not really something I think about too much. I know that when I do think of a stereotypical teen I'm thinking more in the range of maybe 13 to 16.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Thirty. I feel like more and more in the US today the twenties serve as a time of extended childhood where the kids can drink legally.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Teen is fairly well defined.

OTOH, I don't expect someone to be massively different when they hit 20.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
When you turn 20.
Even if you're legally an adult at 18 you got no clue how childish you still are(you as in the vast majority). I work with a lot of 18-20 year olds(I'm 24) and it's horrible. x.x

I'm sure the guys at work that are ~30 feel the same way about me.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Meh, legal adulthood is the more concrete indication to me but boy apparently I'm in the minority.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Let's see... eighteen, nineteen, twenty. 20 it is. Just think of yourself as a probationary adult until you hit 21, it's easier that way.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The legal age thing is only relevant for not considering someone a 'child' anymore. Doesn't really make sense to stop calling someone a teenager prior to 20, as the term has no meaning beyond referring to years with 'teen' in them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Isn't that like asking at what age do you consider someone to no longer be in their twenties?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
20, obviously. I wonder, how many of our posts in this thread could be considered "low content" since we're all pretty much saying the same thing?