Poll: When Do You Think FF: Versus XIII Is Coming Out?

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
So, I went to andriasang and read a recent interview with Tetsuya Nomura (the Versus director) about the progression of Versus and it said that the development team is "making preparations to enter full production." This made me raise an eyebrow. What were they doing for the pass 5 years? Square doesn't have the most amazing work hours, but they do work pretty long hours. I wonder how much of the game they actually finished.
So when do you think Versus with come out?

Captcha(well now it's called Solvemedia): weakest link *rolls eyes

A little off topic but in the interview Nomura said that the Versus "scenes are being recorded by having the four voice actors together on the recording session simultaneously." <--- this I approve of. I wonder why they don't do this kind of stuff in film and games. Audio quality maybe?

Memor-X

Oct 3, 2010
i think that if the game keeps the XIII in it's name then after XIII-2 since then it would be linked to XIII in some sense and if you look at the trailers that's released of it if it's based in the XIII world, it'll be long after XIII-2 when humanity has built all the advance stuff from Cocoon on Grand Pulse or it's set in the past in which case their still going to wait till after XIII-2 so they can try and get more story into Versus from lore they add into XIII-2

ofcause lets not forget Final Fantasy Agito XIII which now is Final Fantasy Type-0, there is a chance Versus might get a name change also....or Enix is waiting for the next console era or Versus is going to be for the Playstation Vita, after all, the graphics for Type-0 could easy confuse someone to think it was for the PS3 but it's for the PSP insted

also, everyone knows the next Duke Nukem Forever is going to be Half-Life 3 or Half-Life 2 Episode 3

valleyshrew

Aug 4, 2010
They shouldn't have revealed it. SE are horribly inefficient at RPG design. Bethesda make deeper games without these massive budgets and dev times. FFXIII barely had any RPG elements and took 4 years. I think it's just Japan has lost the ability to make modern games well. GT5 and the last guardian are other examples where they take forever to keep up with technology. I can't think of a single current gen game from japan that's deep. Yakuza is good but much smaller than GTA. MGS4 is probably the best but the singleplayer gameplay felt a bit underdeveloped.

vato_loco

May 24, 2010
End of 2012, hopefully. I'm not keeping my hopes up, this may turn out to be another eternal wait. But hey, dreaming is still free.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
vato_loco said:
End of 2012, hopefully. I'm not keeping my hopes up, this may turn out to be another eternal wait. But hey, dreaming is still free.
I wish I had your confidence

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Later than now.

Sounds about right to me. I look forward to not spending 60 bucks on it :D

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Never. Verses has been in development for half a decade, and thus far only have one gameplay video. If it does come out, it will be the disappointment that sinks the franchise once and for all.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
I basically think that it'd have XIII-2's release date if they weren't making XIII-2 (which is the developer's honest attempt to right the wrongs of the prequel), so I expect by the end of next year. If not, I will be very angry. I really want to play this game.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Am I the only one who realizes these two games, XIII-2 and Versus are sharing A LOT IF NOT MOST of the same development team? Thus, as soon as XIII-2 is out, again, they'll finish up Versus. God, calm down.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Austin Howe said:
Am I the only one who realizes these two games, XIII-2 and Versus are sharing A LOT IF NOT MOST of the same development team? Thus, as soon as XIII-2 is out, again, they'll finish up Versus. God, calm down.
Verses was announced a year or so after XIII was announced. Saying that it comes out after 13's sequel is not a point in its favor. The dev team should drop FF, and work on a franchise that isn't going up in flames. *cough* Kingdom Hearts *cough*

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Grand_Arcana said:
Austin Howe said:
Verses was announced a year or so after XIII was announced. Saying that it comes out after 13's sequel is not a point in its favor. The dev team should drop FF, and work on a franchise that isn't going up in flames. *cough* Kingdom Hearts *cough*
Did you play Birth by Sleep? If they don't reform the battle system and do a continuity reboot stat, the series is going to implode.

And can we please not forget that this is a non-number title? Those have a long, wonderful history, and should definitely be considered outside the trends of the regular series, especially since they often go out to start their own series.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
Grand_Arcana said:
Austin Howe said:
*cough* and TWNWY *cough*

I wonder if the sequel was already part of 13 and they just cut it out to release it. It took a relatively short amount of time to make XIII-2 compared to XIII.

On the other note: I thought the Birth by Sleep battle system was much better then Kingdom Heart's previous battle systems. I actually enjoyed the combat more then the story for once XD. Good game over all.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
And the Mana series! :D

-crickets-

-goes and sits in his alone corner playing Legend of Mana on his PSP-

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
XIII-2 should be out early 2012, so after that I'd guess all their resources will be put into getting Versus out the door.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
valleyshrew said:
They shouldn't have revealed it. SE are horribly inefficient at RPG design. Bethesda make deeper games without these massive budgets and dev times.
Bethesda also releases games half-finished, leaving it to the mod community to pick up the slack.

What's odd is that both Square and Enix made some great RPGs, but after the merge nothing they made seemed real impressive.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm gonna say late 2012 early 2013, but that's probably just me wishfully thinking.

I mean, they've been working on it for how long now? But I have good faith that Square Enix will get that out once XIII-2 is done, and then after that they can work on Type-0!

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Austin Howe said:
Did you play Birth by Sleep? If they don't reform the battle system and do a continuity reboot stat, the series is going to implode.

And can we please not forget that this is a non-number title? Those have a long, wonderful history, and should definitely be considered outside the trends of the regular series, especially since they often go out to start their own series.
Yes, I have played BBS. Best combat system in the series. It was much better than the bloated interface in KH1 and KH2 (how often did you cast magic from the menu?). Pretty much what Crisis Core should have been. Each entry raises more questions than answers, so I can see why that would be irritating.

A non-numbered title that's been in development hell for half a decade and still doesn't have a planned release date. I was enthusiastic about this title too; the trailer was concentrated awesome. But it's not happening. If it does happen, it won't be as good as a 5+ year development time should make a game. And I think the back-lash from XIII has prompted the game to be redesigned from the bottom up.

Heartcafe said:
*cough* and TWNWY *cough*

I wonder if the sequel was already part of 13 and they just cut it out to release it. It took a relatively short amount of time to make XIII-2 compared to XIII.

On the other note: I thought the Birth by Sleep battle system was much better then Kingdom Heart's previous battle systems. I actually enjoyed the combat more then the story for once XD. Good game over all.
XIII-2 just stirs up memories of X-2 for me, from the title to the "find missing character X" plot. The battle system sounds interesting, but that just makes it worse. X-2 was horrible, but the battle system was amazing! Wouldn't you rather have that battle system in a better game? With a plot that wasn't an excuse for tacked on fan-service? (Referring to X-2). I think the franchise should be relocated to handhelds like most other JRPGs, and leave the cinematic cutscenes and linear maps behind.