Poll: When Posting?...

Exmigrant

May 19, 2010
So yeah, I was recently looking at the forums in Off-Topic, and the 3 with the most recent comments were from around one to two years ago...

I mean it's cool to see some topics around for so long, but some of them are people asking for advice. Which I assume after two years you'll stop caring about :p. I'm just really curious how many people read the timestamp before posting.

Just some Food For Thought,

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Ja, I always check the date before posting. Some threads are kinda pointless to post on after a long time, as you said >.>

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I don't, but I don't post if there's more that 2 or 3 pages in the thread either. So I don't (often) post in really old threads.

Exmigrant

May 19, 2010
Keepitclean said:
I check the date of the OP but more importantly when the most recent post was posted.
I checked that too, but sometimes the recent poster, doesn't check so we end up bringing a topic back from the grave. Even when it doesn't need to be in my opinion

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Exmigrant said:
So yeah, I was recently looking at the forums in Off-Topic, and the 3 with the most recent comments were from around one to two years ago...

I mean it's cool to see some topics around for so long, but some of them are people asking for advice. Which I assume after two years you'll stop caring about :p. I'm just really curious how many people read the timestamp before posting.

SOme threads have longevity and I think that's fine. My relationship thread has been going for nearly a year, stuff like the "ask a detective/cop" and "pimp my gun" threads have been kicking along for maybe even longer and there's no reason why they shouldn't. If people are getting something interesting/valuable out of them then it's all good.

In terms of someone starting a thread to ask for advice on a particular thing, then looking at when they asked definitely is important so that way any advice given isn't redundant. It depends on the question though, and the type of advice wanted. I must admit that I forget to look at the dates quite often when replying, but I don't go around digging up old threads on purpose either. Usually if I reply to a really old one by mistake, someone else bumped it and I failed to notice.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
Scabadus said:
I don't, but I don't post if there's more that 2 or 3 pages in the thread either. So I don't (often) post in really old threads.
Same with me, I know that not many people read every page in a multi-page thread, so my comment wouldn't really put towards anything...

I sometimes check the date, only if I remember though.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Personally I only ever look at threads that come up on the home page "latest threads" section or if I am looking for something in particular, so it very rarely applies to me.

I once saw a thread about someone asking people whether they should buy a PS3 or an Xbox 360 which was dated around two years ago. It was recently resurrected with people giving suggestions despite the fact that the person would have quite obviously made that decision by now.

Exmigrant

May 19, 2010
BonsaiK said:
Exmigrant said:

SOme threads have longevity and I think that's fine. My relationship thread has been going for nearly a year, stuff like the "ask a detective/cop" and "pimp my gun" threads have been kicking along for maybe even longer and there's no reason why they shouldn't. If people are getting something interesting/valuable out of them then it's all good.

In terms of someone starting a thread to ask for advice on a particular thing, then looking at when they asked definitely is important so that way any advice given isn't redundant. It depends on the question though, and the type of advice wanted. I must admit that I forget to look at the dates quite often when replying, but I don't go around digging up old threads on purpose either. Usually if I reply to a really old one by mistake, someone else bumped it and I failed to notice.
Oh, I completely agree that some quotes should stay around, and have the right to come back from the grave. But things like Legion pointed out, clearly some topics should remain closed/dead.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I do if it's a topic with a large number of posts and I don't recognize the title. That usually means there's been some necro-ing going on.