Poll: When will Guild Wars 2 be released?

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
Predict when Guild War 2 will be released in the poll above, if you get it right, you will win the internet! And my respect too.

I'm a multi-player RTS and single player FPS gamer who has never played a MMO before, but I'm quite excited about this MMO. I think Guild Wars 2 is really different because it doesn't have subscription fee, it doesn't have the Healer - Tank - DPS triangle, and its entire system of skills / moves /actions are all situational. So finally a triple A MMO game that will actually be an enjoyable experience to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

Check it out if you haven't already, I hope Guild Wars 2 will be to the MMO genre what Company of heroes was to the RTS genre. I.E. On the surface yet another fantasy MMO WoW clone, but deeper down it is entirely different and it is the next generation of innovations for the genre.

GroundWalker

Jun 3, 2011
I personally think, and hope, that it'll be released around February and March.
Really, doesn't that sound like a reasonable date?

targren

May 13, 2009
GroundWalker said:
I personally think, and hope, that it'll be released around February and March.
Really, doesn't that sound like a reasonalbe date?
Considering it was supposed to be out by 2008 (that's what they told us to excuse Eye of the North being so short and half-assed), I don't think "reasonable" enters into it.

im-white

Mar 24, 2010
when it's ready. oo speaking of which, i figure it won't be released and they will need to update the entire engine b/c it isn't good enough by today's standards. they will probably release it right before titan lol

targren

May 13, 2009
Stall said:
It will be released when it's finished.
Clearly you're not familiar with ArenaNet. In my four years of Guild Wars, they never stopped revamping, rebalancing, and messing around with anything that was broken, that wasn't broken, or just that too many nitwits cried about on the Guru forums.

Shit, it's been out for over 6 years now, and it's still not "finished."

(OK. WTF is with the alien script in the damn captcha?!)
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/522/recaptcha.png/]

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
targren said:
Stall said:
Clearly you're not familiar with ArenaNet.
Clearly you're not familiar with Arena Net. "When it's finished" is the answer that they always give when asked when GW2 is coming out.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The answer is not soon enough. Damn that game looks awesome.

targren

May 13, 2009
gigastrike said:
targren said:
Stall said:
Clearly you're not familiar with Arena Net. "When it's finished" is the answer that they always give when asked when GW2 is coming out.
True, but they also said "we won't sell anything in the NCSoft store that provides any gameplay advantage."

Then comes Storage pains and character-hero slots.

TL;DR: ANet lies.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
targren said:
gigastrike said:
targren said:
Stall said:
True, but they also said "we won't sell anything in the NCSoft store that provides any gameplay advantage."

Exactly. The game is finished now and they just want to see how long they can hold up the hype, just to mess with you.

off topic: What gameplay advantage is there to reskinning NPC's you already had, and being able to stow more stuff in a box, again?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if it came out around March along side Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3.

That said, Arena Net has given no indication that the game is ready any time soon. I expect the game to release 4th quarter 2012 and voted as such. While I have an interest in the story of Old Republic, Guild Wars 2 is the only MMO I know I'm buying.

Nathan Allison

Jan 28, 2011
targren said:
gigastrike said:
targren said:
Stall said:

Sir, you be trollin.

I never gotten storage pains despite playing for 5 years. My paragon, ranger and monk does a great job stashing everything since their almost useless. lol at character hero slots, um, if you think that gives an advantage you are bad at Guild Wars.

Closed beta will be coming out before the year ends guys, beta doesn't last 6 months (unless your DragonsNest), use your head, June 2012 is not possible.

targren

May 13, 2009
2xDouble said:
Exactly. The game is finished now and they just want to see how long they can hold up the hype, just to mess with you.
Actually, re-read my previous post (the one before the one you're replying to) and you'll see that my point is the opposite. The odds of it being "finished" when they decide to release it are slim-to-none.

off topic: What gameplay advantage is there to reskinning NPC's you already had, and being able to stow more stuff in a box, again?
Are you serious? Have you played the game since EotN? With the introduction of consets, and the rebalancing of just about every area of the game taking them as a baseline (i.e. it is still possible to do without consets, but much harder), the ability to hold more consumables and/or the materials required for crafting them without sacrificing storing something else (weapon sets, armor, whatever) is a definite advantage.

As for the heroes, from what I see, it's not reskinning NPCs you already have (and if you're right and that's all it is, then that is a phenominally stupid thing to charge $10 each for), but adding NEW heroes to your roster: in other words, for 40 bucks, you can have 7 necromancer heroes instead of the usual three. The added flexibility in teambuilding would be an advantage of epic proportions.

targren

May 13, 2009
Nathan Allison said:
Closed beta will be coming out before the year ends guys, beta doesn't last 6 months (unless your DragonsNest), use your head, June 2012 is not possible.
That's what they said in 2008, 2009, and 2010.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
targren said:
Actually, re-read my previous post (the one before the one you're replying to) and you'll see that my point is the opposite. The odds of it being "finished" when they decide to release it are slim-to-none.
I did, and I gathered that you were none too happy with ArenaNet. You do a very good and simplistic job of conveying tone. I, on the other hand, use more subtlety.

Are you serious? Have you played the game since EotN? With the introduction of consets, and the rebalancing of just about every area of the game taking them as a baseline (i.e. it is still possible to do without consets, but much harder), the ability to hold more consumables and/or the materials required for crafting them without sacrificing storing something else (weapon sets, armor, whatever) is a definite advantage.

As for the heroes, from what I see, it's not reskinning NPCs you already have (and if you're right and that's all it is, then that is a phenominally stupid thing to charge $10 each for), but adding NEW heroes to your roster: in other words, for 40 bucks, you can have 7 necromancer heroes instead of the usual three. The added flexibility in teambuilding would be an advantage of epic proportions.
I'm playing the game right now. I alt-tabbed back from my vanquish to change Zero Punctuation tracks and noticed I had a message.

So what? Who does it help or harm? You'll never need more than 4-5 cons in any one instance, unless your team sucks (and even if you do, needing more than 8 is ridiculous excess). What good is stockpiling them and the materials to make them? It doesn't change the economy because you would have used the stuff for cons anyway, and acquired the materials and cons exactly the same way as if you had no storage space. The only difference is you can take longer in between conset-buying runs. No, the primary advantage to extra storage panels is the ability to keep items you don't want to throw away or sell, such as pretty swords. And what's the gameplay advantage to that?

You're right, Merc heroes do add to your hero rosters. Again, so what? You get two or three of each class in heroes anyway, and you shouldn't need more than four of any one profession including yourself (again, unless your team or team-building skills suck). Who exactly does that help or harm? You can't farm with 7 heroes because the drops become terrible (compared to solo and all-human teams) and heroes are too unreliable in Elite areas. The entire game is instanced, so you're not kill-stealing or ganking anybody, they don't get access to any special skills or unfair abilities, you can't use them to level up other characters on your account, you don't get extra loot for it, you can't take them into PvP at all... so where's the advantage? the ability to stack seven Necromancers, when having three rapes the entire map anyway? whoop-de-fkng-do.
targren said:
Nathan Allison said:
That's what they said in 2008, 2009, and 2010.
If you read carefully (or at all, for that matter), you'll notice they've never said anything about Beta testing until March of this year, other than there will be Beta testing.

Look, I don't fault you for trolling a company you decided you don't like, this is the Internet after all, but you could at least know what you're talking about when you start accusing people of lying.

targren

May 13, 2009
2xDouble said:
I did, and I gathered that you were none too happy with ArenaNet. You do a very good and simplistic job of conveying tone. I, on the other hand, use more subtlety.
"Subtlety" is not the same thing as "inverting the entire premise to make a smartass comment." That's known as a straw-man actually.

So what? Who does it help or harm? You'll never need more than 4-5 cons in any one instance, unless your team sucks (and even if you do, needing more than 8 is ridiculous excess).
What good is stockpiling them and the materials to make them? It doesn't change the economy because you would have used the stuff for cons anyway, and acquired the materials and cons exactly the same way as if you had no storage space. The only difference is you can take longer in between conset-buying runs. No, the primary advantage to extra storage panels is the ability to keep items you don't want to throw away or
sell, such as pretty swords. And what's the gameplay advantage to that?
The game is 6 years old. I played it for 4. It's not that big. So by the pigeon-hole principle, it's clear that long-term players will play the same instances more than once, rendering the number of cons needed for "any one instance" a completely irrelevant metric. And clearly not having to stop between failed runs to go farm feathers/slabs/etc or pay for another conset is an advantage.

And don't give me the bullshit about the "economy." The "demand-based" economy spiel was driven into the ground when ectos crashed and Anet not only reset the value because of all the bawwing from the power-traders, but hard-coded a floor into the system to keep it from happening again.

You're right, Merc heroes do add to your hero rosters. Again, so what? You get two or three of each class in heroes anyway, and you shouldn't need more than four of any one profession including yourself (again, unless your team or team-building skills suck). Who exactly does that help or harm? You can't farm with 7 heroes because the drops become terrible (compared to solo and all-human teams) and heroes are too unreliable in Elite areas. The entire game is instanced, so you're not kill-stealing or ganking anybody, they don't get access to any special skills or unfair abilities, you can't use them to level up other characters on your account, you don't get extra loot for it, you can't take them into PvP at all... so where's the advantage?
The advantage is in the flexibility. Just because you're evidently a PvXer who lacks the creativity to see how it is such is a flaw in your perceptions, not in my assertion.

the ability to stack seven Necromancers, when having three rapes the entire map anyway? whoop-de-fkng-do.
targren said:
Nathan Allison said:
If you read carefully (or at all, for that matter), you'll notice they've never said anything about Beta testing until March of this year, other than there will be Beta testing.

Bullshit. They were dangling that carrot in front of us on Guru when I was still active there (the last time, according to my profile, was last October).

Look, I don't fault you for trolling a company you decided you don't like, this is the Internet after all, but you could at least know what you're talking about when you start accusing people of lying.
Talk about your PKB's...

I can only assume that you're the one trolling me, as otherwise, being as obtuse as you are pretending to be, I doubt you'd be able to operate a qwerty keyboard. If you don't have a problem with the stuff their selling, that's fine, and a perfectly valid opinion. To pretend it doesn't have any effect on gameplay is intellectually dishonest at best, fanboy trolling at worst.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Don't care because it will be released when it's ready. Like Blizzard, ArenaNet shares the same philosophy and GW2 will be a masterpiece.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
targren said:
Look, I said it was OK. You don't have to attack me because you decided that you don't like the company. Remember? you quoted it.

Also, I'd clean up that post before accusing others of inability to use a keyboard. It doesn't really paint you in the most positive light.