Poll: Where all the (D&D) paladins at?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Wow, a lot of you sound like the kind of person I would absolutely never want to play with.

And hell yeah, I play Paladin. I fucking love the Paladin class and archetype.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Poerts said:
I've been DM'ing (and very rarely playing) D&D for about 6-7 years now, and in all that time, I have never seen someone roll up a Paladin. Ever. Not even consider it. Even among groups that all dedicate themselves to being good-aligned (which, to be honest, seems kinda rare) no one ever wants to play the Paladin.

Is this just my players? What sort of mythical sasquatch-like beast even plays this class?
I'd think there are trust issues with you as the GM, combined with increasingly bad game design.

I say trust issues because a Paladin takes a lot of work from the GM as well to run their campaign around the idea of someone who will be following that kind of a code. Being a Paladin is supposed to be an advantage, and when a campaign basically seeks to remind the player constantly of the limitations of the class, and presents constant moral conundrums, it rapidly becomes a serious pain in the rear for someone to play one. Especially if the rest of the players are all playing more morally ambigious good guys who are all proudly willing to take a "fuck the paladin" attitude to his face.

Originally the character was conceived in light of games mostly involving dungeon crawling, with the limitations of following "the code" coming up occasionally. It was also designed to be crazy powerful, especially seeing as the stats needed to be one were so bloody high. Basically the odds of someone taking a "F@ck the paladin and his code" attitude in the game could be seen as a death sentence for the person doing it, meaning that encouraging Paladins in the party used to be a popular way of keeping various "rogue types" in line.

As EGG ( E. Gary Gygax ) himself pointed out at one point the infamous "Holy Avenger" was an intended part of the character, meant to continue the Paladin's crazy badassitude at the mid-high levels of play, and should be considered an entitlement... a "when will I get one?" rather than a "will I ever get one?" question, which is why it was listed as part of the Paladin class since it was intended as a feature of sorts, says something about the mindset that went into the original creation for AD&D.

Starting with 3E, the focus on game balance made certain subclasses less viable, and the Paladin was one of them. Putting everyone on the same basic number of attribute points, combined with the Paladin's polymath nature meaning that he might be able to do almost anything to an extent, but he'd suck at all of it, as opposed to virtually being a one man party based on the level of "rolls" (or assigned attributes) to do the job right. This might be "fair" in terms of abillities on a certain level, but the Paladin also carries around a substantial number of limitations without any compensation in overall power level to balance them. This makes the Paladin more akin to parodies like Quigley in Robert Asprin's "Myth" series than the powerhouse of goodness and light he was supposed to be, pretty much a relatively powerless trouble magnet that acts as a foil for the rest of the party if anything. This is epecially true in cases of people wanting to run "dark fantasy" campaigns loaded with realism and morally ambigious situations, with a high degree of role-playing. Pretty much you had better hope good is too stupid to figure out what is going on, or any degree of RP is probably going to get the Paladin killed (perhaps even by the rest of the party).

I've played a few Paladins in my time in various editions of D&D, and I will say in the later editions it's more something you do as a personal challenge, than to kick back and
have a good time. I also need to know the GM is going to be trying to not make my life difficult, and that the rest of the party is willing to work with it, or else I figure why bother, it's a foregone conclusion that my great hero of light is going to probably be
comedy relief.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but that's my thoughts on the subject. The Paladin evokes images of a specific kind of fantasy that doesn't come up that much nowadays. In a game based off of say the glory days of Camelot (pre quest for the Holy Grail) or flat out defending a kingdom against the unambigious forces of darkness that are threatening, it can be a great character to go questing with. If you hold up say "Game Of Thrones" as an example of what Sword and Sorcery should be... well, not so much then.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering about the "Holy Avenger" comment which has met some outcry in the past from D&D players (either against me or Gygax). The basic point of it is that a Paladin is more or less obligated to attempt to attack things like demons and devils on sight, and to lead with their chin. This being "stupid" is an understatement in most cases, but The Holy Avenger was supposed to be an exception, the idea being that when the Paladin was wielding it, it emitted an anti-magic aura that applied to only evil magic, which extended to a much greater radius if he raised the sword above it's head. While later rules governing innate abillities can conflict with this, in the early days part of the point is that 99% of what the Demon has just won't work on a Paladin because with that sword his inherant goodness simply does away with the evil magic. Charm gazes, innate spell abillities, teleport at will (not if it's already in melee with the paladin while the sword is out), all of that stuff would be off the table fighting the paladin.... which is sort of why evil fears these guys. The idea being that while a "free +5 sword" would be game busting beyond belief at low levels, the Paladin should probably have one once he hits the mid levels of about 7th to 8th level and his level starts to match the hit dice for demons and other "it's evil, so I must face it" monsters begin appearing in the random encounter charts.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Well, I have never played DnD (But I want to) but I have kind of made my own DnD up, Warhammer 40K version. I have a lot of friends who play 40K, and I wanted to play DnD but I had no idea where to start or who to talk to, so I made up DnD: 40K.

It was a shit load of fun, mainly because I was really stretching the rules a lot. We would do retarded things, like storming a ship of anti-psykers with our psykers in the lead, but we also each had something that would make us special. For example, in the game we had two main languages, High Gothic and Low Gothic. I had no idea what they are actually like in Warhammer 40K... but it ended up with High Gothic making my mate sound like a Mexican XD. When we first started High Gothic our good ol' friend John walked right in disguised as the enemy, and started talking random shit.

I had made the HG language as I went along, but somehow he had learnt it, and was the translator for the team. I think Amigos = Friends (yeah yeah) and Loosa = Hi or something. He managed to convince the guards to leave the armoury, then he robbed it and walked back over them, convinced them that someone had robbed the armoury, so all the guards rushed to it and we were free to walk out XD.

Anyway, onto topic:

My psyker was kind like a paladin, in the idea of he has to do things to increase his powers. See, I had made a psyker academy... but our psyker was piss poor. So he kept dealing with daemons, weird psyker and other people who kept getting the entire group into trouble. In the end, we killed him with two sentry turrets and sat there watching with popcorn.

Anyway, off topic:

How would I go about joining a DnD group? I am early high school, living in Australia, with a lot of friends who are well, nerds, but none of them play DnD and I don't know anyone who does. How could I join a DnD group?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
DrVornoff said:
Zeckt said:
Paladins are like a cancer in d and d groups, forcing the whole group to be goody two shoes. I played one once and after 2-3 weeks I did my best to "sacrifice" him for the common good. Namely, make him die HORRIBLY so I could go back to playing a donkey riding thieving jerk.
Sounds more like a failure to roleplay on your part.
Or maybe I just don't want to roleplay a paladin?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Zeckt said:
DrVornoff said:
Zeckt said:
Paladins are like a cancer in d and d groups, forcing the whole group to be goody two shoes. I played one once and after 2-3 weeks I did my best to "sacrifice" him for the common good. Namely, make him die HORRIBLY so I could go back to playing a donkey riding thieving jerk.
Sounds more like a failure to roleplay on your part.
Fair enough, but don't go 'PALADINS ARE A CANCER ON D&D' if you just don't want to play a Paladin.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I have never played D&D before but have always wanted to.

I figure people shy away from rolling a Paladin because they are considered rather poisonous to groups. You have little to no flexibility when it comes to morality, you're nearly guaranteed to conflict with another players alignment, and you are often supposed to be seen as a crusader of sorts which makes dealing with an ally doing something morally questionable like stealing become a serious problem.

Personally I wouldn't mind playing a Paladin, I believe there are clever ways around these boundaries. Although I'd prefer to play as a Druid or Ranger-like class.

yaydod

Nov 29, 2011
Well paladins can be very nice to play, and kinda fun when you respect your "code" in some situations, but im not too much in that kind of mindset to play a paladin right now.

Dunno, do you think my monk who worships Nerull (god of death and of the undead i think) and who devours the hearts of his ennemys could become a paladin ?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
DrVornoff said:
Zeckt said:
So your solution was to play badly until you got your way?
I tried something, I did not like it and I did not play badly. He died protecting the parties escape. It got worked into the campaign just fine. Just because I try a class does not mean I should have to play it for life.

Archraven

Apr 15, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
Poerts said:
Seven YEARS without a Paladin? How is that even possible?

I love playing the Paladin - in part because I don't play a "magical boyscout" as you put it. Ugh.

Paladins = Sexy Knights. Even more so since Pathfinder changed their caster stat to Charisma.

This is what I'm talking about:

Yes, I'm aware that the second one is actually a paladin deity - still.

I'd also include a picture of Bernadette from Flipside, but I can't find a good image of her in the 30 seconds I was willing to spend on looking for one.

Hell, I've played a Paladin in RAVENLOFT. That's, like, asking for bad things to happen to you.

The way to play a good paladin is to play a character who is truly concerned about protecting people. I don't generally concern myself with lots of spouting off about honor or that sort of thing - instead, I concentrate on playing paladins who protect people no matter the cost. My paladins (typically) put themselves in danger to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Paladins don't HAVE to have sticks up their asses - that's just a bad stereotype.

Besides... Smites (particularly since Pathfinder made them last the whole encounter) are fucking awesome. ^^
This for me. Personally I really enjoy being a Paladin. Of course I don't play them as self righteous and in 3.5 where they have alignment restrictions most of the time I didn't have a god I focused on, expect when I wanted to be a Fist of Raziel, and the rules for doing that where smite evil all the time forever lol. So I was never the preachy type. I would give heroic speeches though. Of course most of the time my party had the courtesy to not be overtly evil and only commit questionable acts when I was not around.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I find having to stick to a moral code limiting in a game. I'd much rather play the neutral evil mercenary fighter.

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
"I figure people shy away from rolling a Paladin because they are considered rather poisonous to groups. You have little to no flexibility when it comes to morality, you're nearly guaranteed to conflict with another players alignment, and you are often supposed to be seen as a crusader of sorts which makes dealing with an ally doing something morally questionable like stealing become a serious problem."

See, this is where I get...a little annoyed. I've heard variations of this from a lot of people and my question is this:

What kind of games do you consider 'normal' when having a single Lawful Good member of a party is automatically poisonous?

Seriously, while a Paladin has a strict moral code...it only applies to *them*. The only time it really gets enforced on his own party is when they commit 'evil acts'.

Like...murder...sacrifice to evil gods...that sort of thing.

Understood, there are people who play Paladins as uptight, preachy idiots- but all the same, for every badly-played Paladin I've seen, I've seen ten selfish, 'my alignment means I can get away with whatever I want, not what the book says' psychotic murderers with the moral compass of a Somalian pirate.

And those are the ones with supposedly 'good' alignments. I won't even get into the "rawr I play Chaotic Evil so I can act like a 12-year-old pulling the wings off of flies and it makes me cool".

In a 'good' Party, I truly don't see how a Paladin would be in any way difficult, unless you add some kind of cultural issue.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Lil_Rimmy said:
Anyway, off topic:

How would I go about joining a DnD group? I am early high school, living in Australia, with a lot of friends who are well, nerds, but none of them play DnD and I don't know anyone who does. How could I join a DnD group?
Do you know places that sell the materials? They generally run, or know places that run, game nights. I know, for example, there's a card shop (sort of) near me that runs Warhammer, Magic, Yugioh, D&D, and others on seperate nights.

Basically, the groups are out there, you just need to look a bit... :p

Poster1234

Apr 26, 2011
Sorry, closest thing to a Paladin I played was a Dark Paladin, devoted to one of those funny evil gods one of my friends had littered his campain world with. Didn't play it for long, though : I'm usually more of a caster kind of guy. Still, I had one opportunity to have him save the group : we were on a boat, and some magical sharks came, that could eat wood (my friend has a flourishing imagination) so I strapped myself to a rope, and suspended myself from the boat, held over the water by the thief and the necromancer (keep in mind I was a giant in heavy armor)while I struck the sharks with my mighty two-handed hammer. Yup, that was our plan. If you ask me, it was more fun than rescuing any of the innocent maidens I ever rescued.

yaydod

Nov 29, 2011
It is kinda impressive how many people think that "Lawfull Good" = "Lawfull Stupid",once i was robbed by a petty thieft, warned him once, then when he saw that i wasnt an evil bastard he tried again, caught him again, but i cant remeber the god i worshiped (it was somthing of law and Justice) with that in mind i choped his hands off for "the greater good" and he didn't consider my warnings of jusice being swift and painfull.
This NOT a good example of a paladin but people have to stop limiting them self to the same classe and alignements, take a paladin if you want a good chalenge on the acting parting and if oour half good you will have a great time.

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
Unfortunately, it all comes down to Stereotypes.

Paladins have a stereotype, and too many people don't want to put any effort into seeing whether it's true or not, and talk about them without any real education on the subject...thus, perpetuating the cycle.

Me, I play Rogues most of the time. Do I want a Paladin in my party? You danged skippy I do! I absolutely want a relatively predictable, loyal party member who I *can count on*. What, I have to keep my less legal activities under the radar? Psh that goes without saying.

Advantages to having a Paladin in the party, from a Rogue's standpoint:

1. Loyal, dependable backup- who will risk their own life to save yours.
2. Backup healing, plus Paladins are all kinds of handy against Fear effects.
3. Outsiders give you tons of benefit of the doubt simply because you have a Paladin in your party. "Oh! They have a Paladin! Well, we know they can't have any evil people in their group, a Paladin wouldn't put up with that."

Mooohahahahaha.

What saddens me is, how so many people talk about their favorite PC's...and how often they are nothing more than 180-degree opposites of Paladins to begin with. How exactly can you complain about Paladins, and then make nothing but Anti-Paladins?

*Paladins* are party-wreckers? If half of the people who play 'evil' PC's played them by their alignments, they'd have party wipeouts in 2 game sessions when their basically douchebag PC's turn on each other.

Blackguards? Yeah, I want a guy in my party who not only is evil for the sake of being a scumbag but has an Evil God perched on his shoulder demanding he be even worse?

Evil clerics? Before they dropped a Cure Light Wounds on you, they'd demand services in kind. Hello, they're Evil, remember?

See, what gets me is how everyone talks about Paladins like they can't be played intelligently, with exceptions made for party members...but somehow all the 'evil' parties seem to only be 'evil' when it comes to random barmaids and NPC's. Why does 'good' always have to act against party members, but, 'evil' somehow doesn't?