Poll: Where do you prefer to buy your games? And why?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Older games I check Ebay.co.uk and the same Finnish version Huuto.fi

New games I go to the Nintendo Eshop and then the stores close to me, one GameStop and two electronic stores that sell some games, and then I buy from the place that is the cheapest.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I get the bulk of my games via Steam Sales, new releases are are cheaper at a physical retailer, usually EB games (a Gamestop rebranding I think) . Pluss the midnight releases they hosted were really fun, giveaways and wntertainment untill the release time. I still remember the Skyrim release with the heavy duty re-enactors with actual armour and weapons duking it out, with the crowd betting on who would win with the first spot in line the prize.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Generally a mix of larger companies like best buy and smaller shops when possible but there really are jack and shit for smaller shop choices where I live. Sucks to have to give money to companies I don't like (gamestop for example) but I will if the need arises.

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
Well, Steam if it's for computer, but most games I buy nowadays are console, so Amazon.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Pretty much gamestop all the way. Rewards points are a nice bonus. I don't get many used games, more focusing on pre-paid cards to buy games from console stores.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Thrift stores. I like to pick up old PC games for $0.50 and try to get 'em working. I think GalCiv2 cost me $0.75. I even bought my last console game from such a place. Dragon's Dogma. $7.00, if I remember correctly.

I mostly play older games. Very little has caught my interest in the past 3 years.

Oh, and kickstarter, so I guess by extension from that... Steam. C'mon Wasteland 2...

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
smithy_2045 said:
Why would you choose EB Games over JB HiFi? At a rough guess, 90-95% of the time JB are cheaper than EB, and there's no sacrifice in terms of range of games available. If anything JB generally has a better range than EB.
Not at my JB Hi-Fi. When they first opened they undercut EB on every single game without fail, but now that they've been open for awhile and have secured their customer base they sell everything for the same price. That pisses me off.

Edit: Formatting error

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
For games that I don't really care about enough to want a physical copy (note, this doesn't mean I don't like them it just means it's not something I've been waiting for as impatiently as that rare game a year I get hyped about), Steam, because of those insane sales and fast access from pretty much anywhere. For games that I want a copy of to put on my shelf (These come out about once a year), Amazon, because it's cheaper, and it's pretty hard to find slightly more obscure games in the area I live in (and by slightly more obscure, I mean smaller than stuff like CoD or GTA).

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
I go to GameStop, the guy who is ususally working there when I go is a real cool guy. He never bugs me with special offers or anything, only if I want gameprotections for the games I buy. He even let me buy Mass Effect 3 when I was a couple of bucks short since his manager wasn't around, I reason now that I did in fact NOT pay for the Ending of the game. And he also sold me the shelf and commercial copy of Enemy Within, which was a huge bro move seeing as that was the only copy of the game for 360 they got ^^

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I usually go to 'Fore games'. A game store that also sells used games and hardware, retro and merchandise. I usually go there because I like the people working there, and more than often I stick around chatting with the store clerk after my purchase about games. And their prices are very good.

I only buy online through the playstation store or steam when I feel lazy and poor xD

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Specialty retailers (though I don't have a GameStop anywhere nearby). Anytime I've dabbled into anything else has been a bad experience.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Wherever is cheapest. Simple answer. I'll go for the cheapest option.

If I can get a steam code for £3 on a website like gmg, then I will go for thatover a £10 disc copy.

If I can get a disc game from Amazon cheaper than from the store, I'll wait a couple of days for that game.

Vice versa applies.

With PC the majority of my games are digital. It's just cheaper.

With console the majority are on disc. Same reason.

Segafriday

Mar 10, 2012
I like many gamers only buy games when they have gone down i price for a few months or years, by then, they are available used for a fraction of their retail price. i only do this because i am poor, otherwise id be all for digital, and although digital is cheaper as well, it rarely has what im looking for on sale AND be available on my OS

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Digital distribution, mostly. I also go to a comic book store that sells old games. I once bought a Mario game from there but Mario was all like "666" and Yoshi exploded in hyperealisticblood and I went back to return the game and an old woman was all like "There's never been a book store here then I realised the game was THE DEVUL!!!11!

...So yeah, Steam, GoG, Desura, that kind of thing.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
I have no real preferences, but most of my recently purchased games have been bought from Gamefly with the occasional purchase from Amazon.

Who I buy from mostly depends on who has the best deal on the game I want to buy.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I buy my stuff at Gamestop and I get my Xbox Live and PSN cards and so on from Best Buy... for some reason.
I just got into PC gaming so I've got a few games off of Steam but if I can get it for a console, I get it for a console.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
Steam, GOG, Greenman, etc. are all great places to buy games for one reason... They're cheap. That's all there is to it, I save hundreds with them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much online retail like Amazon. They are just to much cheaper compared to physical retail like GAME. Before you mention Steam I don't have one (yes I know I should but I don't see the point in installing games that I don't have the time to played).