Poll: Where the hell did all these newbies come from?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Moral of the story: What poisons a community is never new people, it's dickheads. Change is not cancer. The guidelines are your friend and sing happy songs around the campfire more often.
Have you ever considered running for president?

Labyrinth 2012?

Jokes aside, I think that hating newbies is just a phase. I mean, even I hated them for a little bit before just realizing how silly I was being. I think most members just grow out of it.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
pimppeter2 said:
Have you ever considered running for president?

Labyrinth 2012?
Why vote for a lesser evil?

I did run for Escapist President in the last (failed) election. I was the Cynic Party candidate. I'd do it again but for the fact that I'm a mod now so there would be questions of lega-.. Oh who am I kidding. I'd jump in just for the fun of it. Run against Ultrajoe too. That would be one -hell- of a match and we'd probably spend most of it laughing.

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
First of all, I dont like you. Lets just get this out of the way.

Second of all whats wrong with having new people join the escapist? I was new, you were new and *gasp* even maxthereaper was new at some point.

As long as they arent dicks, I welcome them with my open arms.

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
I just tried to post and got 404'd :S.
Anywho as i was saying...
We were once all new so don't treat new people with reproach as it removes the charm and good atmosphere of the community.
ZP popularity has brought many people to the escapist.
The mods are like badgers on speed when it comes to trolls, they act quicker than lightening.
The post is short and extremely abreviated to my origional as i'm in rather a rush

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
More traffic for the Escapist is (hopefully) better content for us. This is the only gaming site that I actually visit on a regular(read: daily) basis, so I hope new people keep coming in.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Trivun said:
-snipped to me- If they post a lot in a short space of time (without spamming, (see some other guy was here) and Neonbob for examples of the right way)
:-D
Hooray!
I feel loved now.

I joined last year around Christmas, and it took me a month or so to actually become active on the site. So for the first week or so, I was a complete noob. But then a wonderful thing happened: I started learning what was expected here.
Other members of the community gave me some advice, and I got the hang of the forum really quick.
So for the people who are unhappy with the conduct of new people, just give them a gentle nudge in the right direction.
Inverse Skies does a wonderful job of this.
Rather than simply ragging on the new guy, give them the information they're looking for(in the case of a tech question i.e. "How do I make bold text," etc.), or if it's a bad topic, send them a PM and offer some help.
Not all the new guys are idiots.

Crushed Fate

Aug 20, 2008
Fniff said:
Rex Dark said:
Starting from when do you consider someone a newbie?
1-100 post.
It is a poor way of judging 'newbie'. You could just look at the joined date? I for one don't make many posts but have been around a while. Sure, a horde new people will inevitably mean that you get a couple of idiots in the mix but even if it's 10% idiot rate (which is high) that is still 90% decent people.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
I think it sounds pretty good more people more threads meaning i can post more smart ass comments right?

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Jedamethis said:
dududf said:
We were all newbies once, if they act like trolls, then they will be dealt with like trolls.

Until they do something stupid, consider them one of us and embrace them.

But I swear to god, if they make MW2 threads I'm going to kill them. Kill them all.

Here's my list of people who MUST help.

Furburt
Shewolf
Max The reaper.
Idealist commy
Neonbob
simulord
Eatmorebabies
the Soviet connection
And Wicky 42.

We will SQUASH the newbies, if they break the rules and make non stop repeat threads! :<

To arms my bretheren! :D
Hilarious how you forgot to enlist the help of our very own Spanish Inquisition.
The inquisition watches all...

OT: It not a bad thing per se. This site is like a mini nation, it needs new blood to keep the discussions going or else we'll reach a point of dying off. The only problem is with new people comes those who don't know the rules and will starts with either ZP, Yahtzee, MW2, Halo and console threads.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
I picked "I am a newbie" because I joined like 34 hours ago.

But again, If they're being trolls, the mods will most likely clean them up.

If not then the more the merrier lol

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Fniff said:
I think we are in the middle of a member explosion. A lot of people joining us!

Good thing, or bad thing?
Oh I'm sorry..is this a private party?
Anyway, everyone was a newbie at a certain point, so no, it's not a bad thing.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Fniff said:

Noobs are the lifeblood of internet forums just as they are the lifeblood of computer games. They are extremely important, and many corners of the internet are dependent on them for their very survival, including this corner.
*Sniff* i feel so special. You can have good newbs (like me) who are pleasant, friendly, willing to learn the ways of the community. and then you have the bad newbs. the guys that type in nothing but leet and think they are the second coming of Christ.

Over_Krill

Nov 16, 2009
Fniff said:

Well i have been here for a long time i just never made an acount until some one make me angry enough to post. The reason i did not join before is because i have Dyslexic dysgraphia and i was sick which only made the Dyslexic dysgraphia worse.