Poll: Which Call of Duty developer is superior?

Tf2 H3aVy

Jun 17, 2011
Rex Fallout said:
Tf2 H3aVy said:
In my opinion, Infinity Ward is a vastly superior developer to their counterpart Treyarch. I have a few arguments to support my side;

>Superior graphics and aesthetics
>(opinion) Better campaigns
>(opinion) Superior mulitplayer
>more realistic firearm design and kickback
>Wider selection of kill-streaks, not just dogs, SAM turrets, and air support

All in all i think that IW is a much better developer than Treyarch, but if you folks disagree, feel free to comment below and let me know what you think.
1- What? Better graphics? Their graphics are equal, they arent different at all.
2- No. Just no. Mw1 had a great campaign I will give you that, but no not Mw2. Treyarch did a wonderful job with W@W in my honest opinion, (especially considering the whole World War 2 thing has been done to death) And they have their Zombies storyline in the same game to boot. Black Ops also had a wonderful story, and I dont understand how some people couldn't follow it.
3- debatable. Mw1 had great multi, I will give you that, but I enjoyed W@W's just as much. I have NO fun playing MW2, (a reason why I sold it like a week after I got it) and Black Ops seemed to combine great elements that I loved from both Mw1 and W@W.
4- guns are the same in those aspects.
5- Do you remember what the killsteaks were in Mw1? and for that matter Mw2? Same thing! Mw2 just added the Nuke which people complained so much about that it was taken out in Black Ops.
It's impossible for both companies games to look the same, the use different graphics engines for god's sake! i hate when people make this argument, you need to have an eye for detail when judging graphics. Infinity Ward uses the IW2 graphics engine, CoD4 used the IW1 graphics engine. I'm not certain of what engine treyarch uses but it's sure as shit not the IW brand engine, that's Infinity Ward's. The IW engine allows for the barrel to go all the way into the receiver (thats the body of the rifle in case you don't know anything about the wonderful world of fire arms) while Treyarch's barrels have a crater going into the tip of the barrel. These types of things make the games render differently. Treyarch has lower quality gun and character models to allow the game to render faster and smoother but still has atrocious glitches and an unsolved lag problem, have fun playing the terrible Treyarch spin-offs that wish they we're CoD4.

EDIT: the kill streaks in MW1 we're balanced, any idiot with an LMG could tear the attack chopper, the boogie man of MW1.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
The problem I have with both of them is that neither one likes to accept that the other exists.

IW barely runs off of Treyarchs upgrades to the games, whereas Treyarch neglects the superior engine that IW uses in place for it's almost outdated CoD5 engine.

IW has a much more smoother feeling game, but it does this by having every single aspect of the game being overpowered in some way.

Treyarch did a rather good job of bringing us a balanced CoD, the only problem is the sheer strain on the connection because of the theater mode added in, and how the game just can't take itself. The only person who ever really has a fair gunfight is the host.

It's hard to say at this point. Black Ops singleplayer was rather terrible, and I absolutely never cared for Reznov. His only character trait was that he yelled a lot.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Well, Infinity Ward made: COD1, COD2, COD4 [sub]and MW2 and 3...[/sub]
Treyarch made: COD3, COD: W@W and Black Ops.

CODs 1, 2 and 4 were brilliant. Cod 3 was shit. W@W was good, but not as good as 1, 2 or 4. MW2 was shit and I expect MW3 to follow in its footsteps. I've never played Black Ops.
The score: 3 for Infinity Ward, 1 for Treyarch.

Therefore: my vote goes to Infinity.

Raizekage

May 31, 2011
Infinity Ward no contest. The only thing Treyarch has going for it is Zombies and I absolutely hate zombies. So the distinction was very easy for me.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Infinity Ward for the sheer fact that Modern Warfare was the only title with a proper difficulty curve and had a strong "War is hell" feel rather than the fucking "GAWD BLESS AMERICAH!!!" feel that makes me feel nervous in that right wing gun nuts are intelligent enough to develop games. Modern Warfare was good, Modern Warfare 2 was a sharp disappointment but still competent, World at War was pretty bad and Black Ops sucked. I think that before Modern Warfare 3 is released, the dev team should go to drug rehab for their meth habits and try to pace things.

TheDutchin

Jul 27, 2010
I much prefer IW because their multiplayer is far superior. After saying that I feel the need to say "but I love zombies", because I really do love the zombie game type, however, BOs multiplayers was.... disappointing. At first I thought the currency system was awesome, I could have what I want, when I want it, and if I didn't have enough money, go play some wager matches. But then (There is always a "But then.") I found out that it wasn't simply a "but what you like" system, it was a "Buy what you like, after you've unlocked it" and I thought that was redundant. Why must I BUY things AND UNLOCK THEM? It really should be one way or the other, by doing that you're just saying "yeah you've earned it, but do you have x amount of fake money saved up?". And on top of that, once I get my AUG bought and paid for as well as my scavenger sleight of hand, ninja and claymores, I run out of all need for the stuff. I realize these points kind of contradict each other but what I'm saying is: The money is useless once you get what you know you like, but if you want to try something new you tend to be out of luck. This really constricts people to using the same strategy/style that they used in MW2 or the last CoD they played, and what do we tend to call things that have the same game mechanics and you play the exact same way? A DLC. Granted, there are new guns and a new campaign, but wouldnt it be much better if IW made MW3 WITH treyarch, and they just let treyarch throw in the zombies and help with the writing of the story. To me, that is the perfect combination. So in this "Perfect Game" IW does: the game play in the campaign, all of the multiplayer and the graphics. Treayarch does: the writing of the campaign, zombies. Who does it seem would be doing more work? IW, for a reason.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Treyarch, obviously, because Grey Matter made Call of Duty: United Offensive, and Treyarch hired them!

God that was a good game, it has such a badass multiplayer too, especially with weapon mods for modern guns and stuff. Good times.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Infinity Ward because they made COD2. And also because they didn't have to blatantly shove everything in the players face just in case they had an IQ of 1 and didn't get the story. Fucking hell parts of Black Ops were transparent.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Infinity.

I liked CoD 2 and CoD 4 the most.
Zombies are quite cool, and so is Reznov.
But Infinity has Captain Price. And no Character that will ever be created has any value compared to Captain Price's moustache.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Are we talking about the two devs as simply 'game developers' or 'CoD developers'?

Because if we're just thinking of CoD, the IW, but if it's for the dev in general, then Treyarch, purely because of Spiderman 2.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
The only thing Treyarch has done that was even remotely good was Zombies. Everything else is either a copy/paste of something Infinity Ward crafted or was demonstrably worse than it's infinity Ward counterpart. See: CoD4 -> WaW, MW2 -> Blops

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
Infinity Ward by far. I never really enjoyed the zombies mode to begin with. Treyarch just seems to piggyback off of IW. Activision needs more money so they have Treyarch capitalize off of IW's reputation and the quality of their games. Also, Treyarch COD games just seem extremely unpolished at times. Take Black Ops for an example. Graphically, some parts of the game look great. However, if you look at some things for too long, they just look plain bad. There's one part in particular, the first contextual melee kill in Cuba. You strangle an enemy and see his face. It looks terrible, especially when juxtaposed to the good looking faces in the rest of the game. I don't really care for graphics in games but it at least should be consistent. The only thing I can compliment Treyarch on is that their fire and explosions look pretty cool.

IW on the other hand can really craft good games. They bring enough innovation to the table with each game (so far at least. I don't know about MW3 but that's just based off of what they've revealed as of now.) to make it a different experience. In my opinion, the graphics are far better than Treyarch's games. Their games are also just ultra-polished. Everything they did obviously took some thought. They also have an idea of pacing in their games.

So yeah, my opinion.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
If Infinity Ward - the old one, anyway - could make the games and Treyarch could do the support (patching/balancing/tweaking/etc.), then we'd have the perfect Call of Duty.

Since they don't work together, it seems like IW does most of the innovating while 3arc does most of the maintaining, I'd say the edge goes to IW. If only a bit.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
mm I'd have to say DICE. They've larger maps, free map updates, expansions for their games and vehicles.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
Out of the Poll options I'm going to have to go with Infinity Ward on this one. COD 4 stole a lot of time from me. Though Gray Matter Interactive wasn't bad either. United Offensive was great >.>

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
There has only been 1 CoD game which flopped, CoD 3. Made by Treyarch.

That game was sooo bad! Honestly Treyarch was like now that we have control of CoD we're going to reinvent it! They added classes and vehicles and ruined the entire experience. Luckily IW kept making good CoD games and Treyarch decided to stop actually thinking and went back to copy pasting IW's work.

One day them copy pasting won't be enough, and then CoD will die. Of course by then maybe IW will have a new IP.