Poll: Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

poptart123

Mar 26, 2009
As the title implies, which came first? My class is doing a debate on this and I would like some fellow escapist views.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Hold on, cracked article link incoming...

EDIT:http://www.cracked.com/article_19195_7-simple-questions-you-wont-believe-science-just-answered.html
It's the very first question on the list.

Personally, I believe that the chicken came first, eggs can't run, unless its Sheldon from Garfield and Friends.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I'll say what my first semester philosophy professor told my class.

Dinosaurs preceded chickens in evolutionary history.

Dinosaurs also hatched from eggs.

So obviously the egg came before the chicken...the real question is, "What came first, the dinosaur or the egg?"

This of course assumes that you accept the theory of evolution as it currently stands and subscribe to a linear understanding of time.

Yeah, I know I dodged the original question, but I had fun regardless. ^_^

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
The only correct answer is the one with the most nerd-cred, and that's, "A circle has no beginning." Eggs as an evolutionary model do quite conclusively predate chickens though.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Eggs were around for millions of years before anything resembling a chicken evolved. The first proto-chicken hatched from an egg. So the egg very definitely came first.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
There are many joke answers that I could put into this. If I may break from that and give a serious enough answer...

I believe that in the strictest nature of things, that which came before the chicken was NOT one until enough evolution occurred and it laid the egg OF the chicken. Ergo, the egg of chicken came from not-quite-deemed-a-chicken, and thus I say the egg.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Wouldn't the chicken have to come first because eggs come from chickens. But where did the chicken come from, the egg so the egg would have to come first. But where did the egg come from, the chicken OMG this is too confusing, my brain can't contemplate this so I'm just gonna say the chicken came first.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Dags90 said:
The only correct answer is the one with the most nerd-cred, and that's, "A circle has no beginning." Eggs as an evolutionary model do quite conclusively predate chickens though.
My point exactly. The egg existed before the chicken and concerning the more narrow perspective, then the egg still came before. Basically at one point, 2 varied forms preceding the current chicken's design got jiggy with it and laid the egg that hatched our modern day chicken.

XP I think that's right

Nov 12, 2010
Obviously the egg as the chicken would have had to hatch from it as well as fish occupying the earth even well before the chicken's grandpa Rex,and to my knowledge and watching Finding Nemo,fish lay eggs.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Evolution is a tricky thing. The egg would have to precede the chicken, though the egg would have had to come from something that wasn't a chicken but that evolved INTO a chicken. Thus, an egg would have had to come first in order for the chicken to come into existance in the first place. Previous Posters have already stated this theory, which I am not really adding anything original, merely just stating the obvious. Though in this case, it isn't obvious if not everyone is understanding it... *watches everyones brain explode* SO MUCH FUN!

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
dinosaurs laid eggs. dinosaurs came before birds. the chicken is a bird. next question plz.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
The chicken egg preceded the chicken. The chicken egg was laid by an animal that closely resembled, but was not, a chicken. Therefore, the egg came before the chicken.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Glad forums are still being used to answer the real hard hitting questions.

So I'm not banned I'll go with the egg. Maaan, the theory of evolution sure sucked the fun out of this one.

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
it really depends on what type of egg. There are three separate questions that could be taken from the 'chicken or egg' phrasing.

1. any chicken vs any egg. the answer in this case is any egg, as egg laying animals were around long before the first chickens.

2. any chicken vs an egg containing a chicken. The answer is technically the egg again, because of how evolution works

3. any chicken vs an egg laid BY a chicken HOLDING a chicken. the answer is the chicken in this case.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
remnant_phoenix said:
I'll say what my first semester philosophy professor told my class.

Dinosaurs preceded chickens in evolutionary history.

Dinosaurs also hatched from eggs.
Dinosaurs have been laying eggs for centuries before chickens had evolved. Alligators and crocodiles too and they've been around Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than chickens or, people or, mammoths or other creatures that are older than us but not quite as old as Dinos.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Arluza said:
it really depends on what type of egg. There are three separate questions that could be taken from the 'chicken or egg' phrasing.

1. any chicken vs any egg. the answer in this case is any egg, as egg laying animals were around long before the first chickens.

2. any chicken vs an egg containing a chicken. The answer is technically the egg again, because of how evolution works

3. any chicken vs an egg laid BY a chicken HOLDING a chicken. the answer is the chicken in this case.
Exactly, it depends on how you define the releveant 'egg'? Is it any egg? Is it a chicken egg? What is meant by chicken egg? Do you mean it was laid by a chicken, or that it contains a chicken?

OT: Okay, like this fella/lady said, if the egg has to be an egg that contains a chiken and was laid by a chicken, then the answer is chiken. If the egg didn't have to be laid by a chiken (or any animal that evolved after the existence of the chicken), then the answer is egg.