Poll: Which console to complement your PC?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
None, I realized this generation that I can live without the console exclusives. Even then I really think the list of exclusives is going to dwindle even further because of the whole similarity of console architecture to PCs. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if in this upcoming generation people manage to find ways to play the console games on a PC because the way the game was made will be similar enough that it wouldn't require a full emulator.
Also, I'd rather save my money and upgrade my current PC when the 4k resolution stuff comes out and becomes a standard.

1UPZ

May 21, 2013
I have a semi-nice PC, Radeon 7850. Can play a lot of games on very high.
But thinking of building a new one and taking the 7850 to build a crossfire setup.
That or a clevo laptop....

With that said, I have a PS3 and a Wii U.

For "next" gen, technically Wii U, but will buy a PS4 for Gran Turismo and other Japanese type AAA games.

- Wii U = Nintendo franchise games, Classis Virtual Console games and Indie games (Trine 2 comes to mind). I think Nintendo with their 3DS and Virtual console setup can and will attract small video game developers, who can develop low cost but fun games. Focus on SNES/PSX era type development cost but deep story and rewarding game play.

- PS3 = For current games, many medium sized developers will most likely still support PS3/Wii U because development tool and cost are low and the market size is in the 80+ million.

- PS4 = For latest Gran Turismo, "show case" games like Next Metal Gear etc. Also sports games etc.

- PC/Lap top = Emulators, PC style games like FPS, strategy, next Bethesda Elder Scroll game(s) + mods, Grand Theft Auto (because of mod), Star craft and Diablo (D4 hopefully they go back to D2 depth instead of shallow DRM based, $$$, Diablo 3).

With that setup I think I'm fine.

Currently re-playing FFIX, XII and Grandia series on the PC emulators with high resolution!!! Amazing still... 10x more addictive than FFXIII which I can only play half an hour at a time max and 2-3 weeks a part... And oh! I'm replaying Super metroid on Virtual console Wii U, then Trine 2.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
This gen kinda put my off consoles but if I was to choose a system next gen for this reason I'd go PS4 followed by WiiU. I got the PS3 and 360 this gen and the 360 nothing but a dust pile. It does have a couple of games I want but overall most of them are games available and better on PC. PS3 did much better but... eh, I think the PS2 just spoiled me back in the day.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
The only 2 consoles I'll ever use to compliment my PC are the N64 and the PS2. The others... Exclusives I couldn't care less about, and nothing remotely appealing in using them.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
It seems like the wiiU would be the most logical choice, as the PS4 and the Xbox one are just crappy gaming PCs. Nintendo at least tried to make a gaming console, and Nintendo's games, many of which may require the gamepad, will offer different experience then what the PC offers... While the Play Station and Xbox will be mostly full of game that have PC ports anyway (like last gen).

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
My 360 is gathering dust.
I use a shared PS3 for some exclusives.
I might consider a 3DS for its exclusives.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I would personally take a handheld, for the variety of games that aren't already on PC

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
In all honesty, PS4 or Wii U.
One of the two. I'm not liking what I've heard of the XBone in the slightest.
If neither, then the 3DS would probably do just fine.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I might consider a PS4 if it isn't horribly expensive. I won't pay more than $150 for it because after that, I could just use the money to upgrade my PC some more.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I'll say Wii U, because most games that are multiplatform come out on PS3, 360 and PC (so I'm assuming PS4, XO and PC in the next gen) with Wii U you'll get more games that aren't on those platforms.
This seems like the right thread, can I ask a quick question?
I need a laptop for my own study reasons. I was thinking of getting a decent laptop to play games, as I'm a console gamer but wanted to get a good laptop so I could play PC games, and buy and mod Skyrim and Fallout. I was thinking- should I spend a lot of money on a good laptop that can play games, or buy a cheap laptop just for my studying and then buy a PS4? Getting a PC is out of the question. Cheers :)

Ben Saville

Nov 24, 2011
Probably a PS3 an a Vita, but that depends on E3. I do kind of want a PS4 but they could have just as much stupid DRM as the Xbox one. The WiiU doesn't interest me (even though it should), and my 360 currently inst doing much...

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
why would i bother with a console my PS3 has sat in my living room taking up an HDMI port since i got it have not used it at all except to play a couple of hours of heavy rain in the month after i got it

no wait sorry all i lie... i used it to play a blu ray disk i rented a few months ago

that said i may consider only consider mind you a PS4 if it has at least 12 excellent exclusives i simply cannot do with out and i get really excited about the new Gran Turismo maybe when the PS5 comes out i will forget what a waste the PS3 was

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
PS4 for all the Japanese exclusives that will never be translated and make it to this side of the Pacific.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
NoeL said:
This poll is going to operate on the hypothetical that you've switched to the PC as your primary source of gaming. If that doesn't represent you and you lack the imagination to put yourself in that scenario, I don't care - go find another poll.

So you've got your PC, and you have the option of purchasing ONE (and only one) of the three next-gen consoles to complement your gaming experience. Which are you most likely to go for, and why?
Hey, where's the Steam Box or other PC linked type boxes?

90% of my favourite games are on my PC and I like the idea that I could play my Steam games on consoles and it frees the computer room up for my brother.

WHERE IS IT ON YOUR POLL?

Autotelic

May 21, 2013
Why not handheld consoles? Handheld consoles are a perfect counterpoint to PC games. One of the reasons why I'm a PC gamer is so I can multitask. Handheld consoles are the ultimate for multitaskers.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I might get a PS4, but only if I'm not absolutely skint when I decide that I'd like one. PS+ stands out from the other consoles as a service.

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
PS4 for sure. I've had a PS3/PC combo this gen and I don't think I've missed out on anything worthwhile

Playstation for the exclusives
PC for everything else

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
XBone for me but then that might change after E3, you know when all the rumors are ether confirmed or put to rest.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TehCookie said:
PS4 for the JRPGs exclusives, which is actually similar to what I have now. I have a PC/PS3 but I game more on my PS3 since it's much more reliable than my PC.
This, for the same reason. Add in handhelds too. I'll fully migrate to the PC the day Japanese developers do.