Poll: Which console "won" this generation?

deathbyoatmeal

Apr 3, 2011
As this generation winds to a close, it comes time to look back on this past generation. Having been, in my opinion, the best generation thus far, which console really stood out? In my opinion the ps3 is easily the winner. The xbox beats it in user interface and online accessibility, and the wii wins in term of innovative design, but the ps3 wins where it counts the most, games. Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance, the ps3 started the most franchises this generation and all of them were huge successes and innovated in unique ways. In addition they continued great franchises like killzone and ratchet and clank and took them to new heights. Add to that great downloadable games like journey and pixeljunk, and the ps3 had the best lineup i've ever seen. What do you think?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
PS3 wins by virtue of having solid games to play. Its list of exclusives blow the Xbox out the water, who only have Gears and Halo really. The Wii was alright, but you didnt get much outside of first party titles.

Also, fuck having to pay for XBL gold.

INB4 PC wins all(it doesnt)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
My personal winner would be the Xbox 360, mainly because it's what I've basically stuck to this generation due to PS3's exclusives not particularly interesting me, besides Heavy Rain and Beyond.

Overall though it's probably the Wii. Was the most innovative out of the three, kicked both the other consoles arses in terms of sales, and they both tried to rip it's motion controls off, with Sony just attaching a ball to the end of a Wii-mote. The majority of its' first party series have had some stellar titles on the Wii as well.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I have to go with the PS3. The only thing the 360 did better in my opinion was the controller, which works best for my large hands. I preferred the interface, exclusives, PSN and design of the PS3 over the 360.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
The real question is: Who lost?

The answer to that: Nearly everybody. With the oversaturation of the AAA market, the rise and fall of casual games (yes, I'm talking Zynga), the bullshittery of EA / Activision / Ubisoft, the closure of countless dev teams, the rise of piracy and the stupid methods publishers use to fight them, hackers running rampant and screwing everyone over, the rising price of AAA games and the cost of developing them, and the shift in focus from satisfying customers to satisfying stockholders; the AAA market is currently an absolute disaster. Admist all this, there is a silver lining (most notably in the PC market) - the indie scene is on the rise; Steam and GOG are bigger than ever; and a few AAA devs / publishers like CD Projekt, Bethesda, and Valve are still staying strong. However, right now the industry as a whole is in the shitter.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
PS3 wins by virtue of having solid games to play. Its list of exclusives blow the Xbox out the water, who only have Gears and Halo really. The Wii was alright, but you didnt get much outside of first party titles.

Also, fuck having to pay for XBL gold.

INB4 PC wins all(it doesnt)
Well the PC is the superior platform, because of...reasons...still, it isn't a console, so it's a moot point.

Of those listed...the Wii. In terms of sales it certainly trumps the PS3 and 360, selling about 30 million more units than either of them. It led innovation with both of the others consoles jumping onto the motion control bandwagon. It has its share of exclusives that fans clamor for, as well as high selling, and in many cases actually enjoyable shovel-ware.

I don't know what the 360 has going for it? Umm it's cheaper than the PS3?

The PS3 does have Blu-Ray and thatgamecompany, the only single platform exclusives I'm actually jealous of.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
They all won in different ways. Wii won for casual/"active" gamers, PS3 won for Action games, mystery games, and most RPGs, and Xbox 360 won for being a generalized console who's sheer staying power has surprised me to no end.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
It depends on what you want to play as every console and PC has it's strengths and weaknesses.

The 360 is a good jack of all trades system, imo the only thing it's missing is a good TRPG and a true light gun game. However over this past year MS just doesn't seem to care asmuch about core/ XBLA gaming and is happy milking COD players with gold subs and selling music and videos with the PC and PS3 pulling ahead.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
TrevHead said:
It depends on what you want to play as every console and PC has it's strengths and weaknesses.
As a PC gamer I am just going to say that PC should not be included in this debate. The thing with it is, it's not really one to be affected by console generations and due to the modability of adding new hardware it can't be compared to console. It's hard to tell computer sales figures because of PC gaming, etc, etc.

As for who won? I'm not sure anyone has actually won. All the consoles have come across significant problems (on part because of publishers) and it just seems console gamers are being screwed over more and more. I would say none of them one, it was just rather lukewarm, and with the rumour of the next generation it sounds like this might be the last great generation. If the rumours are true of course.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Yep, PS3 sure wins, what will selling the least.

In pure sales the Wii has won.
I thought which one well...."survived" the best was usually considered the winner in our past generations where people went bankrupte,d but as has been mentioned, nobody actually lost.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
PS2 won last gen, Xbox 360 won this gen, Wii U is invariably going to suck so now it's a competition to see if the PS4 can beat the 720 in the next gen to reclaim sonys throne.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I'd say the Xbox 360. From what I've seen, it seems to be the most popular console of this generation.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I would consider all three and equal successes and equal failures, so I am glad I have all 3.

Wii
-Promised something new an exciting, delivered a mountain of shovel-ware.
+Had the Nintendo exclusives
-Weakest lineup of Nintendo exclusives for any of their consoles.

-Set a pretty low standard for gaming, making many game developers try to cash in on the CoD audience; most even admit to it publicly.
+has the best lineup of exclusives even if most are on XBLA.
-Worst build quality of all consoles.

PS3
-Chased away pretty much all 3rd party exclusives with insane price at launch, then didn't deliver on their own exclusives for whatever reason.
-Constantly condescends to their costumers
+Best console build quality and menu interface with a welcome lack of spam and ridiculous avatar nonsense.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
PS3, mainly because of games. Online is free, also a benefit. But I will consider the Wii for a second: some say it is innovative. I can count the number of games that have used its motion controls well, let alone innovatively, with my fingers, and probably could even if one hand was cut off. Most of it is gimmicky crap that uses motion controls as an excuse to have substandard gameplay. Also, I will be the first to admit that PS3 and Xbox 360 motion controls were ripping off the Wii. But the PS3 (can't say anything about the 360, haven't played it) did motion controls better than the Wii did for the few family games, but also had other games that didn't need it and didn't use it.

The Sixaxis was fun in Heavenly Sword and a few other things, but honestly, I'm glad that went as well if the alternative was games based solely around it.

Jamane

Sep 24, 2010
I'll go with the nintendo because they had a solid start and although it has not really stayed in such a strong position, the other two consoles did end up copying their gimmick didn't they.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
I would consider all three and equal successes and equal failures, so I am glad I have all 3.

Wii
-Promised something new an exciting, delivered a mountain of shovel-ware.
+Had the Nintendo exclusives
-Weakest lineup of Nintendo exclusives and third party games for any of their consoles.

-Set a pretty low standard for gaming, making many game developers try to cash in on the CoD audience; most even admit to it publicly.
+has the best lineup of exclusives even if most are on XBLA.
-Worst build quality of all consoles.

PS3
-Chased away pretty much all 3rd party exclusives with insane price at launch, then didn't deliver on their own exclusives for whatever reason.
-Constantly condescends to their costumers
+Best console build quality and menu interface with a welcome lack of spam and ridiculous avatar nonsense.
Fixed that for you.

Personally, I pick PS3. However, I only award that post-slim as I could actually afford to BUY one. May not have the MOST exclusives, but they were the BEST ones I've ever played.

In terms of financial success, The Wii followed by Xbox 360. Unfortunately, I think Nintendo lost all it's steam around 2010 when even the casual market started realizing that outside of the first party games, the entire Wii lineup were shovelware party games and SEVERELY dumbed down ports from the more powerful consoles.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
I would say that PC wins because I subjectively like it better than the alternatives

For me it's the perfect choise as I can use it for other things than gaming and I prefer mouse-keyboard controlls