Poll: Which console "won" this generation?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Objectively: Wii
Subjectively: Wii

The Wii was the best selling console of this generation and earned Nintendo more money than MS or Sony did.
That is the only way we can objectively judge who won. Everything else is subjective.

I played my Wii a lot and I'm still playing it.

NSMB, Galaxy 1&2, SSBB, Monster Hunter Tri, Fire Emblem, Sengoku Basara, 2 Kirby games, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblades Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandoras Tower, Metroid Prime trilogy, Epic Mickey, Zack and Wiki, Muramasa, Little King's Story, Pikmin 2, No More Heroes 1&2... and those are just from my memory. I don't own all this games (yet), but I've played them at least a bit I'm going to buy them.

Soon I'll be replaying Twilight Princess because it seems like I missed a bit of the story. And I want to refresh my memory before I get my Hyrule Historia.

The PS3 has only 2 games I would like to play, the 360 has non. Every other game I want to play is multiplatform and I play it on my PC.

The Wii started with bad 3rd part support and only few Nintendo titles. But now that it's lifecycle is almost over, you can see that the game library isn't huge, but it has some of the best games I've ever played.

Also, this library and the fact that the WiiU is fully backwards compatible... promising. :)

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I think Xbox won mainly for Xbox Live. The controller and Xbox Live is why I am not a PC gamer.
That's a strange pair of reasons... most PC games support the 360 controller and I can't think of anything you can do on XBL that you can't on PC for free (sans the cost of your ISP). I mean, I can understand if you don't want the hassle of DRM, the cost of a PC compared to a console or like how it's a little easier to set up a console in a living room... but what does XBL do that a PC can't? What's different about using a 360 controller for a PC game over a 360 game?

I'm not trying to 'convert' you or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.
I have tried setting up my controller to my PC but it just didn't work. Though I suppose I could fix it without too much trouble.
Xbox live however I just find easier. All the games can use the sames friends list and I like the party system and community. I never understood why everyone hates Xbox Live's community. I mainly run into nice people or people who are just a bit of fun to banter with.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Trippy Turtle said:
I have tried setting up my controller to my PC but it just didn't work. Though I suppose I could fix it without too much trouble.
That's kinda odd. I just plug it in and it works. Is it an official pad? I remember we used to have a MadCatz one and that didn't work on the PC.

Xbox live however I just find easier. All the games can use the sames friends list and I like the party system and community. I never understood why everyone hates Xbox Live's community. I mainly run into nice people or people who are just a bit of fun to banter with.
Fair enough! I know what you mean about the community, in a way. I haven't had great experiences with XBL, myself, but people say similar things about the TF2 community and, yet, I've literally come across exactly one asshole. They're huge communities and I firmly believe there are more cool people than assholes on them, it's just that the assholes are louder.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Verdict can't be made until we're officially in the next generation. Despite having a PS3, I'm not prepared to declare the black monster the winner this round.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Echoing a few thoughts here, I'd say for me it was the PS3. Nicer design, less running issues, free online, plays blu-rays, better exclusives, more reliable (no RROD), and generally just a pretty tight console. But then again a lot of those are my opinion, my only reasons for liking xbox 360 are the controller, and that I think Forza was better than GT5 overall. Oh and there's been like 3 of them released in the span of GT5.

However, xbox360 is still doing better I believe, only second to the Wii in sales (and I imagine, profits). Hoping for a more successful new generation, and no BS with regards to online-requirement playing and barred used games. Backwards compatibility would be nice too.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
The Wii.

Sorry, got to hand it to the company that printed money. Doesn't matter what you think of the console's potential, or anything else. Revenue determines victory in the corporate world.

PS3 is the best piece of hardware, but that doesn't=victory or else we'd be saying previous console wars were won by the Sega Master System, the Game Gear, the Jaguar, the Dreamcast, the TurboGrafx--Pretty much any Sega or Atari Console not named Genesis/Mega Drive or 2600.

Technical capabilities are meaningless in this discussion--otherwise the flat-out losers would actually be called 'winners' and their companies would still be in the game.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
My personal winner is the PS3 with all the great exclusives and finally they all seem to get the ports right. My xbox360 failed with hardware troubles and besides from Alan Wake there`s nothing i really miss and i like my internet free.

From sales alone the Wii get`s the price. Nintendo where the ones able to draw a completly new audience into gameing in the first place.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'll say Wii. They may not be as popular among the core gamer crowd, but they were wildly popular among casual gamers and basically became a mint. Now, though, will they be able to repeat that success in the next generation? That will be the true test, since they now have to get those casual gamers to invest in them again. I'm not sure it'll happen.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
What metric are you using?

I voted Wii. It printed Nintendo money by the truckload. Though my favorite was the PS3.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
When people are saying that xbox has better exlcusives are they simply refering to Halo and Gears? Aren't a majority of xbox titles now multiplat by PC and PS3?

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Probably Wii. Hard to tell as Sony and Microsoft are larger, diversified companies so a direct stock price comparison wouldn't suffice. And Nintendo has its handheld console market anyway.

Any game units shipped stats out there? Console sales (market penetration) are null and void as two of the three were sold at a loss and the third basically break-even point.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sales/profit-wise Nintendo won, but it remains to be seen if this will carry on-to the next gen.

RESURRECTION21

comrade
Mar 7, 2011
pc gamers i love you guys well ok 30%of you but do you guys have to post on things like this and say pc is the best at all gawwww as a console gamer i do not run around saying consoles are better then thous pctards i mean come on you say that consoles are for kids but you guys are the ones who are acting like kids can we all just have fun and play games the way we want to with out looking down on other gamers? is that so hard i am just geting sick of it

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Clearly XBOX 360.

Any game that came out for both XBOX and PS3, the XBOX version was superior almost every time.

Nintendo sold a lot of consoles, but basically no games, so they aren't even worth mentioning AGAIN in this console cycle.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
They are all fairly successful in their own ways.

The Wii carved out a new empire of its own, and then fell hard. Not much more to say about it. If you like Mario, Zelda, and Nintendo's other first party offerings, this is your ticket.
If you don't, it's fucking USELESS, because that's almost all the Wii has got.
Well, that and shovelware. MOUNTAINS of shovelware.

Xbox 360 was the overall strongest performer with its earlier start; it's continuing to port titles to PC to this very day, which is a selling point for developers looking to branch out.

Of course, there was that little issue of 360s DYING all the time. Took them 5 years to sort it out, but it eventually happened so...yay?

Though in terms of sheer sales, the Wii was whooping everyone for a while. Different markets.
They could have ended right there on a high note, but no, they had to embarrass themselves by trying to copy the Wii and releasing Kinect.

PS3. More full-production exclusives than the 360, but not by much. Remarkably similar to the 360's performance which is by no means a bad thing.
But there are low points to the PS3, including being the first console I've ever seen get deliberately DOWNGRADED by the manufacturer (which sets a terrifying precedent), a full-fledged system-wide hack and numerous other head-scratching stratagems.
(half-hearted support for the PS2; and development of the disco-didlo Move).

Still, I would have declared the PS3 the most progressive if it weren't so doggedly determined to regress itself in the name of market control. As it stands, all of that high tech and investment money is largely wasted at this stage, and this is the system that has aged the BEST of the three by far.

It started out with a thud, and it ended relatively well, so I cannot really call the PS3 a failure.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I'm not terribly sure that the Wii did make more money than the other consoles.

The Wii had a fairly short life, a couple of the games sold, it sold more consoles, sure, but, that's not more profit, the majority of profit from consoles comes from the share they get of each game sold.

The 360 sold much more games than the Wii, considerably more, while it could be argued a few titles sold more on the Wii than any title on the 360, it's not a few titles that tell the overall success, but rather, the combined sum of all the copies sold.

You also have to take into account DLC sales (Of which the Wii has very little), Xbox live subscriptions, extra hardware such as gamepads, Kinect, etc.

Knowing this, I have a very hard time believing the Wii was the most profitable.