Poll: Which console "won" this generation?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
none. The Wii was a great experiment with equal parts success and failure. Overall i would say that our industry is better for the experiment.

The 360 and PS3 are so similiar now that you have to get nit picky. Last generation I would pick PS2 hands down, now the differences are minor. If i HAD to pick, i would choose PS3 because of the blue ray player.

And yes, i would pick PC to win this generation :). The different digital services (most of which are far superior to PS3 or XBL ones), super cheap AAA games, plethora of free mods, more likely to get free content, and the indie scene.

Dec 16, 2009
i'd say the 360 "won" but i still prefer my PS3. i didnt have much experience with the Wii, mario kart i think was the only thing i gave a chance, motion controlls leave me cold

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
In my mind, Microsoft and Sony admitted defeat when they announced motion control peripherals: "Screw it, catering to the hardcore didn't make as much money as Nintendo, time to jump on the bandwagon." Obviously this doesn't really take into consideration the quality of the games but the Wii isn't a slouch in that department.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
The Wii. It sold the most and has had the largest cultural impact out of the three consoles. To suggest the PS3 or Xbox 360 can top that is just plain ridiculous.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
octafish said:
Shadowstar38 said:
PS3 wins by virtue of having solid games to play. Its list of exclusives blow the Xbox out the water, who only have Gears and Halo really. The Wii was alright, but you didnt get much outside of first party titles.

Also, fuck having to pay for XBL gold.

INB4 PC wins all(it doesnt)
Well the PC is the superior platform, because of...reasons...still, it isn't a console, so it's a moot point.

Of those listed...the Wii. In terms of sales it certainly trumps the PS3 and 360, selling about 30 million more units than either of them. It led innovation with both of the others consoles jumping onto the motion control bandwagon. It has its share of exclusives that fans clamor for, as well as high selling, and in many cases actually enjoyable shovel-ware.

I don't know what the 360 has going for it? Umm it's cheaper than the PS3?

The PS3 does have Blu-Ray and thatgamecompany, the only single platform exclusives I'm actually jealous of.
Good, custom PCs won. Off-the-shelf PCs did not. I hate to belabor the point, but my PS3 is as old as my laptop, which was designed for the games of its release time, and my PC is failing to keep up while the PS3 is still handling as well as it always did with newer and newer stuff. To keep up-to-date, I'll have to upgrade, and the PS3 needs no such thing.

To be fair though, it was a lawsuit threat that kept the Move from coming out when the Wii did, Nintendo claimed the Move was based on their prototype and would hurt the release of the Wii. The jury's out on who invented the bandwagon, let alone who jumped onto it. Sony already had motion controls in the form of the EyeToy for the ps2 though, and the Move just added Sixaxis and MoCap balls to a better version of the camera.

Now these new captchas are pretty invasive ads. I can't post a comment til I type in "Choose DISH." And in doing so, I'm not only forced to acknowledge the ad but to reiterate its contents. Well there goes my anti-ad tunnel vision from years of browser use...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
As far as I'm concerned, it's irrelevant. The consumers lost.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Well, because the only thing that one console can definitely be best at (quality is a matter of personal opinion) is sales, I am inclined to say it was Nintendo that won this generation. The Wii is beating the second in line for top worldwide sales (Xbox 360) by about 30 million units. In addition, they have sold far more handhelds than Sony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Seventh_generation

Now, I'm not saying Wii is best, but since the only truly objective measure of success I could find was sales numbers, it does 'win'.

In all honesty though, the console wars are just silly. Why waste your time bickering about whose method of playing video games is best (PC. Master race FTW!) when you could be playing games?

Signa said:
As far as I'm concerned, it's irrelevant. The consumers lost.
And this. Who is out $1000+ from all the video games you bought this generation? You are. How many of those games do you still enjoy? Not very many, I would guess.

Burrito With Legs

Jan 27, 2012
Nintendo probably made the most money overall, even with their current losses. I'm sure Xbox will win this, but PS3 and Wii have way better exclusives than the 360.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Everything, really.

The Wii technically won by sales, and as "casual" as people like to call it it has the broadest value, the PS3 had some of the best games, and Xbox Live was the best service by far.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Glory to the sony master race!!!!
I'm sorry, but having grown up with a ps1,ps2, and now ps4 I can not partake of a rational discussion in the console wars. Sorry.
I like the ps3

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Was there a win condition to consoles? The only people that win anything are it's developers in any case. How about which one made the most money for it's creators and everything else at all is subjective and irrelevant.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Clearly the XBOX 360. PS3 may have had the most solid exclusive titles, but it was way overpriced. XBOX was affordable, and was competitive with PS3.

To me, I don't really consider the Wii competing in the same race as the XBOX and PS3. While the consumer base overlaps, Nintendo's best games are all exclusive titles, and asking whether that game was better on the Wii or the XBOX or PS3 is usually asking an absurd question.

Furthermore, the motion controls really set it apart from the other two for quite a while, for good and for ill. There were genuinely moments in the gameplay where the motion controls were quite fun and exciting, but there were also instances where they were quite forced and hard to control.

The other attempts on motion controls on the other two consoles seem to have pretty much failed to appeal to anybody who didn't already have a wii.

Omega Pirate

Sep 20, 2010
Wii since they Released Monster Hunter Tri for it, and that game is worth its weight in Unobtainium to me.