Poll: Which Dead Space game did you enjoy the most?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
It's a bit of a tie between the first two games for me, though I think I can say that the first game wins. Clarkes voice and personality didn't fit at all with what I had imagined(also often felt that his dialogue was way too "teeny" compared to his grayish hair), so that ruined the game a lot to me. When I played the third game I just wanted the shit to end. Felt like an eternity to finish it.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I liked all three, but the second one was probably my overall favorite.

The first one is a very close second place, but some of the weird plot inconsistencies sorta broke my immersion and took me out of the game. Still, it genuinely felt like a spiritual successor to my beloved System Shock 2 at times, and that made me pretty happy.

I wanted to love the third one. I really did. The opening portion of the game set in the debris field was the strongest section of the game to me. I rapidly started to lose interest in the game upon reaching the planet. I never found it to be bad or anything, more just... equal parts unmemorable and predictable. I mean... honestly, was anybody surprised when Ellie's douchebag boyfriend stabbed you in the back? When it happened my response was less "Oh damn!" and more "Jeez... FINALLY!" I also didn't particularly care for the gun crafting system. Not so much because I thought it was poorly implemented or anything like that... just that it made the game WAY too easy. Not long into the game I had a weapon that basically made me an unstoppable killing machine. For anyone curious...

Frame: Heavy
Upper Tool: Telemetry Spike
Upper Tip: Diffraction Torus
Lower Tool: Tesla Core
Lower Tip: Diffraction Torus
Attachment 1: Ammo Support
Attachment 2: Ammo Box

Upgrade the damage and capacity. Game over.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Probably 2, from what I remember of Dead Space was that the PC controls handled like shit.

If that had been fixed it may edge out 2, I would need to progress further into the game.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dead Space 2 was great but I think part of that was ruined retrospectively though Dead Space 3, which fucked up Ellie's character, vetoed her relationship with Isaac on a lark and retconned a great & upbeat ending into something so meh and routine. By comparison, Dead Space 1 holds the upper hand. It doesn't have a story as good as its sequel, but it's scarier and more tightly built.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
Soundwave said:
I preferred the third one, actually, for a variety of reasons. I liked the idea that "being an engineer, I could engineer the ideal necromorph killing weapons", I liked the environments better, I really enjoyed playing as that poor grunt in the opening sequence. I liked not being forced to kill child-based necromorphs. I especially loved killing unitologists. I liked the cute salvage robots.

So maybe it wasn't scary. People consistently claim resident evil 4 as the best and it isn't scary either. It was also pretty easy on the resource management.

People complain about the existence of paying to win in Dead Space 3, but I don't think that's a fair argument either. Just from being thorough, in one normal difficulty playthrough, I had all the materials I'd have ever been able to use.
I understand what you mean by that, RE4 was an excellent game, honestly not scary, but in some cases it was a bit creepy (the regenerators). It's not the reason of finding the game scary was a bonus, the bonus was always felt from the previous two for that intense feeling you got all the time that gave you the thrill of horror (this is just my thought).

I don't think the pay to win argument is there to think it's unfair or anything, I just think it's existence makes people kind of angry, besides if you really want to win the game, just play the demo and the game gives you the equalizer gun (which is one of the best weapons in the game). If anything though if you really want to get every weapon in the Third game, replaying it a few times will get you all that in no time.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
Dead Space 3 was only "Dead Space" at the very beginning, The moment you touch the ice planet is where it stops.

Weapon crafting discouraged experimentation once you had something comfortable to use. I had a Pulse Rifle fully upgraded into clip and damage use with a rocket launcher and had an acid attachment. Come at me bro.[/quote]

Like the infamous suspicion that the new lost planet suit looked eerlie similar to the Dead Space armors... Anyway that kind sums it up in one sentence.

Chaingun + rocket launcher with stasis for this guy.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Soundwave said:
People complain about the existence of paying to win in Dead Space 3, but I don't think that's a fair argument either. Just from being thorough, in one normal difficulty playthrough, I had all the materials I'd have ever been able to use.
Playing with a friend on hard, we found that we had an abundance of crafting resources and our guns were plenty powerful. I kinda forgot the micro-transactions were there, to be honest. They were utterly pointless, but didn't actually affect the game.

Still, Dead Space 1 is my favourite, just because I tend to prefer the more slow-paced and "atmospheric" nature of the game. I didn't think it was all that scary, either, but it could get pretty tense; especially if you turn off the music.

I didn't like Dead Space 2, but I don't think I gave it a fair chance. The intro was so bad, it soured me on the whole thing. It wasn't that I kepty dying or anything (I didn't), it was just so horribly paced and devoid of subtlety.
Dead Space 3 was the only game that felt like I was rewarded for shooting pinatas, seriously the enemies will drop everything you don't need out of charity.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Falcondynamite said:
Again this is my personal opinion and I'd like to hear yours.
I am a huge fan of the Dead Space series and seeing threads like this come up- makes me happy. Thank you for asking us such a great question ^_^

Though I did have more fun with Dead Space 2. The mechanics and gameplay got crazier and I was more thrilled then terrified, since the atmosphere was more set on survival then horror itself like the first game focused on. Plus, Ellie was a grand character whom I cherished and got to actually care for. She wasn't a regular female character and really did help Isaac out which is a major plus since he wouldn't be the same without her in my opinion. The final boss was also downright something which felt like a plot twist. I like clever plot twists.

... Dead Space 3 doesn't exist t me. Ruined Ellie's character, introduced a dumb love triangle, had hardly any horror or good puzzles, co-op made it to easy and the ending was... a reminder of Mass Effect's 3 ending. It totally killed it and I can't tell you how much it hurts me. I don't even consider it a Dead Space game. But that's just my opinion.
I liked the concept of Dead Space 2's final boss and thought the idea of it was awesome... it's just it took less than a minute to conquer it and felt a bit underwhelming. Ellie is one of my favorite female leads in gaming and I refuse to acknowledge that she ever existed in Dead Space 3... It was a clone of Ellie, the non-cool kind.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Dead Space 1 because I never played the others. The ending of Dead Space was good and fitting, no sequel necessary yet there are sequels? that tells me one thing: Money grabbing BS franchise shit.
I?m not going to play that garbage.

Falcondynamite

Apr 22, 2010
Tuesday Night Fever said:
I liked all three, but the second one was probably my overall favorite.

I wanted to love the third one. I really did. The opening portion of the game set in the debris field was the strongest section of the game to me. I rapidly started to lose interest in the game upon reaching the planet. I never found it to be bad or anything, more just... equal parts unmemorable and predictable. I mean... honestly, was anybody surprised when Ellie's douchebag boyfriend stabbed you in the back? When it happened my response was less "Oh damn!" and more "Jeez... FINALLY!" I also didn't particularly care for the gun crafting system. Not so much because I thought it was poorly implemented or anything like that... just that it made the game WAY too easy
I'm sure someone who's never seen a movie in their life could've seen that betrayal coming from a mile away. I'm also fairly certain they turned his body into a meet puppet on the scene so you could destroy his corpse and bring Ellie his head. Would've preferred he get killed like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVMfBLXVoo

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I'm not done with Dead Space 3 yet, but so far two is my favorite. Had a better story, better locations since you weren't just stuck to a single ship, Issac could talk, and it was still creepy. So far, Dead Space 3 has slightly more characters (not that you get too attached to begin with, but still) and the crafting system is pretty nice. I'm currently playing it co-op, but I not really caring for the story too much. Its interesting, but the villain just seems so...not lame, but boring. Also, it doesn't really feel creepy, but that could easily be because I play co-op. I do hate how Carver isn't referred to as much in cutscenes. He gets his own sidequests and that's cool, but I thought it would be slightly better. Hate Ellie's boyfriend or whatever since he was a jerk to just be a jerk. Dead Space 1 was cool, but I was tired of literally doing everything on that ship with everyone else seemingly doing nothing.

So...yeah, Dead Space 2.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Honestly I didn't like any of em. They felt like Survival Horror games without the Horror. Also the controls sucked so badly.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Dead Space 2 is my favorite.

While I find the first one to be the scariest and the third to not be a good Dead Space but still a good game, I find 2 to be a pretty good blend of action and horror.

And this set-piece with the Tormentor was awesome.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Falcondynamite said:
I'm also fairly certain they turned his body into a meet puppet on the scene so you could destroy his corpse and bring Ellie his head. Would've preferred he get killed like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVMfBLXVoo
Heh. When my husband and I played it co-op, we spent a good five minutes or so after that cutscene just stomping on him until there wasn't much of anything left.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Ishigami said:
Dead Space 1 because I never played the others. The ending of Dead Space was good and fitting, no sequel necessary yet there are sequels? that tells me one thing: Money grabbing BS franchise shit.
I?m not going to play that garbage.
Just play DS2 then forget that a 3rd one has ever existed.

zarker

Oct 14, 2012
Dead Space 3 by far. Dead Space 1 had the best atmosphere of the 3 but wasn't scary and had that awful asteroid mini-game that just ruins any thought of replaying it for me. Dead Space 2 had none of the atmosphere and just bored me for some reason. Couldn't get more than 3 or 4 hours into it.

DS3 had co-op which I played with a friend. Some of the most fun I've had in a video game. Running around RPing as Isaac and What's-his-face, bros till the end, stomping enemies into a fine paste for the loots and the lols. It definitely wasn't the best Dead Space game but it was the only one I can say that kept me entertained throughout.

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Dead Space 1, easily.
Dead Space 2 went in the wrong direction completely.
Dead Space 3 took a massive shit but by then I no longer cared.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm one of those who really enjoyed all three, but #1 was the favourite (though #2 comes close behind).

There were parts of #2 I really loved, including revisiting the Ishimura, but other sections let it down-- such as the end-boss fight, which was just frustrating rather than challenging.

I also preferred figuring out how to destroy the regenerating Hunter in #1 to simply running away from the Ubermorph in #2.

#3 comes in third, but it was still fun. I didn't so much like where #3 took the story. There was no satisfying answer for why the Markers seemed to give two distinct voices (one working against the Necromorphs, one helping them). They just made them evul.