Poll: Which do you prefer: an ambitious failure, or a safe success?

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
An ambitious failure brings knowledge and innovation.
A safe success halts progress and growth.

Safe to say I go with ambitious failure.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Ambitious failures. We need them. If everyone played it safe, than everything would end up being the same, and that's no fun.

Games like Mirror's Edge and movies like Speed Racer said "fuck it, LET'S DO THIS!!!" and tried some really interesting stuff. And even if they didn't always work, I'm glad they did it.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Das Boot said:
Kahunaburger said:
No, I'm saying that I base my opinion on the evidence and analysis that I've seen. If you have evidence or analysis you believe will change my opinion, feel free to present it. Otherwise, "well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" is not a counter-argument that is likely to make me change my opinion of Modern Warfare Whatever, Twilight, etc.
Oh my lordy jesus my gramma is being corrected by a guy who keeps stating opinions as facts.
What does the bolded text even mean? I'm sorry I don't think That One Thing That You Like is very good according to commonly accepted standards for evaluating things like it, but you getting mad about it isn't going to change my opinion.

If you do want to change my opinion, the best way to do this is to present evidence or analysis that you believe will cause me to form a different opinion.

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
I can respect trying to push the envelope of what can be achived in games. I like to see innovation even if it flops. There's always more time to go refine and fix the problems. A little progress at a time. For example, Reach toyed with the formula that made H3 a huge success. It gives more variety to Bungie's product. I can respect that even if it didn't capture my fancy as much as H3 did at first. I still like it as a game.

Safe success? Sure it makes money (which is more or less what the big publishing companies are doing) but it's just churning out the same product over and over again. It doesn't move the industry forward whatsoever.

The captcha sums it up pretty well for ambitious failures: Baby steps.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
"Why do we fall master Wayne? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up"
I would rather they try then to not try at all and stagnate. Sure they may fail but. The idea is out there now and if it's not them someone will pick the idea up, learn from the mistakes, and do it better.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Both

Safe successes give companies money to make ambitious failures, and ambitious failures give companies knowledge on what they can and cant add to their next safe success so they can get money to make their next ambitious failure.

It is a cycle

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but my personal preferences don't map 1:1 with commercial success. What do I care about Activision rolling in money? Stupid poll.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
majora13 said:
AMBITIOUS FAILURE! Am I the only one who instantly thought ME1 vs ME2?
So did I. It was one of the main games I thought of when I made this thread. But I bet you won't be able to guess which one I thought was which. ;D

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://imadnews.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/brink-cover.jpg

...yeah I'm going with a safe success, at least it's playable. Yeah there's that whole "well you can't blame them for trying" angle, but at the end of the day the game is still crap and I spent money on it.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Most of the time ambitious failure. Alpha Protocol, KoTOR 2 and Morrowind for example.

Morrowind did so much new stuff, so there were shitloads of bugs, glitches, mistakes, gameplay problems, etc. Skyrim on the other hand, tries pretty much nothing new. It pretty much cuts down content, it simplifies everything and has no soul as a result.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
when i look at all the safe successes, i just sigh at how lame they are to me.

so i prefer the ambitious failure. yeah, it didn't work, but least they strayed from the beaten path to try and make something stand out

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'd pick a Safe Success because ambition, "a soul" and whatever power-of-love-and-friendship bile won't do anything against the fact that you just wasted a lot of money/time/resources/all three on a failure

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Up to a point, ambtious failures are the way to go. They try some new things, some work, some don't, the working ones get expanded upon. A game built ONLY only ambition, with no standard parts, is likely to be an unplayable mess and no matter how safe and unfiorm a game is, it's still more fun than one that bugs out and crashes as soon as you press 'Start'.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I am of the firm belief that fun comes first. As such, an ambitious failure that is unfun is, IMO, worse than a safe success that is still fun.

thedragon232

Jun 7, 2010
What I like to see are ambitious and creative games because that can be the foundation for a successful game.
My one problem with a Safe game is when the company begins to milk the games name with annul release as seen with COD and Assassins Creed.