Poll: Which do you prefer: Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
I'm sure that this has been done before, but I've got to ask: Which of the two recent Fallouts do you prefer? Personally, I prefer Fallout 3: better story, atmosphere, setting and above all: Immersion. Not to say I don't like New Vegas, in fact I was just playing it. But whenever I was about to immerse myself, I would run into a unicycle-cowboy-robot or a guy in football gear pretending to be a Roman and come crashing back. And then there are the bugs. Oh dear Lord, the bugs. The first time I played, I had to restart my game because Elder McNamara was bugged: I couldn't talk to him, search him if killed or pickpocket him, ergo I couldn't even complete the Main Quest (I had killed House and Yes Man). I know they're fixed now, but I didn't have that problem with Fallout 3 when I got it.
That said, I find that New Vegas is longer, has better graphics and physics and generally better gameplay (i.e the Jurry-Rigging perk and repair kits makes it much better). But I find Fallout 3 is better. Plus, Mr New Vegas can't hold a candle to Three Dog.
EDIT 1: Also, I really didn't like the New Vegas DLC: Dead Money was the mother of repetition, you couldn't go back afterwards (though on reflection that's good), Honest Hearts was just shamelessly copy-pasted campsites and Ranger Towers as far as the eye could see... Old World Blues was great, though. "What are those?!?!? Hand penises?!?!?! Oh, fingers."
On the other hand I loved all of Fallout 3's DLC. (Mothership Zeta was too repetitive, though.)
EDIT 2: I see a lot of comments saying that it's more like the original Fallout games, but I've only ever played Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Ergo, I can't say.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
The difference between New Vegas and Fallout 3 to me is simply that New Vegas is fun, and Fallout 3 is not.

I think the main reason for this is that the atmosphere and setting of Fallout 3 is sad and dull, while New Vegas is kind of silly and fun. Yes, Fallout 3 is immersive, but I don't want to be immersed in that world. I play games to enjoy them, and Fallout 3 just depresses me, so I play New Vegas instead.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Let me lay out the things each game does right, I'll start with Fallout 3:
-Atmosphere
-World 'layout'
-Exploration = Reward
-Bringing in newcomers to the series
-Establishing that the new gameplay style worked
-Freedom in progression of the overall plot
-A concise and wrapped up story

And for Fallout New Vegas:
-Faction Tracking
-A higher number and better impact with the 'decision points' in the game
-Weapon variety
-Companion Functionality
-Add on content (As in, so far all of them have been pretty good and it took about 3 expacs for Fallout 3 to hit its stride)
-Improved Characters (I.E. people I gave a shit about)

Each one has its pros and cons and I just felt like establishing the pros, as the cons for one game are the pros of the other...

Here's the best way I can think to say how I wanna see Fallout 4 developed, in a set of rules:

1. Bethesda handles the technical stuff, 'coding' things and putting everything in the world, they handle the QA and whatnot

2. Obsidian focuses on the pre-planning and the art direction, they write the story and design concepts for the world, characters and more

3. Expansions are handled the same way, with BethSoft getting to handle ONE expansion pack on their own and Obsidian handling the rest

4. Patch notes are listed in the games from now on, because I wanna know what moderations and changes are being made, as there are some in New Vegas that have properly balanced or powered up weapons

5. Last but not least, if they repeat a past mistake from either game, Todd Howard and Chris Avellone must take a hard and firm kick right to the balls for each mistake that is repeated FROM a professional kickboxer wearing a pointed steel toe boot

And trust me, this would be painful for EVERYONE, the LAST thing I wanna see is an awesome dude like Todd Howard in severe pain.

Feb 16, 2010
new vegas wins by being more light hearted and fun. It managed to capture the tone of the orinal 2 a lot better, and is therefore superior.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Vishnu Namboodiripad said:
new vegas wins by being more light hearted and fun. It managed to capture the tone of the orinal 2 a lot better, and is therefore superior.
So, "It's better because it's more like stuff I've played before" is your answer.

How daring.

To me the games are almost one in the same, and I don't mean that as a knock on New Vegas. But Fallout 3 may go down as my favorite game of all time ( i just started replaying it for the fifth time) and New Vegas, in spite of all its problems, sucked me in about as much as its predecessor. New Vegas actually pulled ahead a little bit on the virtue of Old World Blues alone, which is the single most fun I've ever had in Fallout

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
WHY the fuck does someone make this thread anew every single fucking day. I swear ive seen this thread so many damn times on this forum.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.283531-Your-opinion-on-Fallout-New-Vegas-VS-Fallout-3#11144167

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.273059-Poll-Fallout-3-or-Fallout-New-Vegas#10539619

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.273059-Poll-Fallout-3-or-Fallout-New-Vegas#10539619
In all honesty, I don't see how this is annoying. If you've seen this so much time, why not ignore it? Why post anything? I mean it's not like this thread is mandatory.

Anyways, New Vegas all the way. The politics and the multiple endings with tons of different variables were just more engaging than the "save-the-world and find your daddy" plot arc in Fallout 3.\

Edit: Also Old World Blues from NV is hands down the funniest crap ever right up there with Portal 1+2.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Vishnu Namboodiripad said:
because nothing's better to be light-hearted than a post-nuclear apocalyptic wasteland,

amirite?

Jun 24, 2009
I really prefer Fallout 3. It was more fun, had better atmosphere and a better story. New Vegas was just mediocre and plagued with glitches. Plus the actual 'New Vegas' area was a joke. The combat was still fun though.

Oct 30, 2010
New Vegas hands down. Characters I found interesting, some actual moral choice, storyline I was interested in completing, awesome DLC.

The only thing Fallout 3 did better was having more explorable areas/buildings unrelated to anything. In New Vegas it seems every location is tied to some quest (or empty, like the airport in the southeast corner).

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I'll always prefer Fallout 3.

It's the atmosphere and feel above all else, I find it a much easier world to get lost in.

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
Fallout New Vegas holds more true to apocaylptic setting, but Fallout 3's was just so much more fun. It's kinda quality vs. quantity, though both games were very high quality.

Setting- Fallout 3
Guns- Fallout 3
Special Guns- Fallout NV
Quirks- Fallout 3
More quests/gameplay- Fallout NV
Characters- Fallout NV
Cool Locations- Fallout 3

That's about the whole list I can think up.
Fallout 3: 4
Fallout NV: 3

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Both, for different reasons. Fallout 3 in my opinion had a bleaker, more accurate atmosphere that one would expect even 200 years after a nuclear war, when civilization was still trying to pick up the pieces. I'm a sucker for the dark, post-apocalyptic material, so naturally, Fallout 3's environment sparked my interests. New Vegas on the other hand has better combat and role-playing mechanics, so I am immersed in the gameplay much more than in Fallout 3.