Poll: Which film deserves the Best Picture award at the Oscars?

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Inception with all of it's mind numbing craziness has my vote. I enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon much more than Toy Story 3. I'm not a huge Toy Story fan but I get where people are coming from, it was a really solid ending to the trilogy.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm really surprised that, as of this comment, no one has voted for The Fighter. That was a damn good film, just not as good as TS3 IMO.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
AvsJoe said:
I'm really surprised that, as of this comment, no one has voted for The Fighter. That was a damn good film, just not as good as TS3 IMO.
It's my second choice, behind Black Swan. I agree, it was really good.

Slushy

Feb 15, 2011
Voted Black Swan.

Nathalie Portman deserves her oscar for best actress for sure. The emotional spectrum she presented is simply outstanding and the atmosphere of mental breakdown was flawless. But I feel that the award for best movie must be supported by main character, script, screen writting AND secondary characters. Vincent Cassel made a damn good job to create an extremely stressful and disturbing atmosphere but I think Mila Kunis's character didn't had enough chance to help this.

2nd would be Toy Story 3. The scene in the melting oven where they all hold hands and close their hands created a bubble of sadness that I never experienced since that scene in "Life is Beautiful" where Roberto Benigni is joyfully skipping to his death...
The humour was great, the story was great, colourful side characters, good soundtrack etc...

If King's Speech wins for best movie, I will be disgusted and furious but if Helena Bonham Carter wins for best supporting actress...

Look, she's a great actress but she gave for that movie doesn't deserve any kind of reward or praise.

a) When your playing a member of high social status or royalty, you need to keep of certain standard to comportment. Something I would call a "stiff" comportment expected by others members of the society you are part of. It's normal and expected and the actor's job will be to keep while allowing your emotions to pass trough it. And sadly, Queen Elizabeth royal "stiffness" was thick that no emotions what so ever pass trough. The whole movie she kept that appearance of mild annoyance and condesendence.

b) And to be a "supporting character" you need to "support" the main character as he struggle to vanquish adversity. She convinced her husband to go see Logue then monitored the process. Geoffrey Rush was the only supporting actor of this movie.

In my opinion, if you want to give her an oscar for supporting actress, give it to her for her great performance as Mrs.Lovett in Sweeney Todd. Hell, even as Bellatrix Lestrange in Harry Potter, she gave better performance.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Toy Story 3. Because of the opening sequence alone. "DEATH BY MONKEYS!"

EDIT: Though I'm seeing Black Swan tomorrow3 so I may change my mind. I wouldn't be disappointed if King's Speech wins. It has, after all, made me lots of money.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Marter said:
AvsJoe said:
It's my second choice, behind Black Swan. I agree, it was really good.
It's my second-favourite of the nominees, and my third-favourite of the year, behind only Toy Story the Third and How to Train Yo Dragon, Dawg.
5/5 - Toy Story 3
5/5 - The Fighter
5/5 - The Social Network
5/5 - Black Swan
4/5 - Inception
4/5 - The King's Speech
4/5 - 127 Hours
3/5 - True Grit

I have not yet seen Winter's Bone or The Kids Are All Right.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I would have to say Inception. It was a great film. Of course, considering the only other movie on that list that I have seen is Toy Story 3, there might be others there that are better than it.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Toy Story 3. It deserves this if not for its perfect ending to a groundbreaking film dynasty, then at least to prove that the Academy does accept animation as a legitimate form of filmmaking.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Black Swan was not only the best movie I've seen all year. It's the best movie I've ever seen

But The Social Network was so damn good that it might merk either Best Picture or Best Director from Black Swan. I'm hoping it wins niether.

I really liked Toy Story 3 but in my opinion How To Train Your Dragon was far better and I hope with all my fucking might that it wins best animated picture

Inception might have been good if it wasn't for Ellen Page playing a walking Cliff Notes the entire time and totally making the movie dull by explaining everything to the audience.

Here's how I'm hoping the Oscars play out

my preferential ballet for Best picture
1)Black Swan
2)The Social Network
3)Toy Story
4)127 Hours
5)True Grit
6)The Fighter
7)Inception
8)The King's Speech
9)Winter's Bone
10)The Kids Are Alright

Best Lead Actor: James Franco
Best Lead Actress: Natalie Portman
Best Supporting Actor: John Hawkes [sub]I think his performance is why Winter's Bone got the big nomination[/sub]
Best Supporting Actress: one of the chicks from The Fighter. Honestly why isn't Chloe Mortez up?
Best Director: Darren Aronofsky. Fincher might snatch it out from under his nose, though.
Best Original Screenplay: don't care
Best Adapted Screenplay: 127 Hours [sub]Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim both got shafted for nominations here. but if Kick-Ass was nominated that's where my vote lies[/sub]
Best Cinematography: Black Swan: Matthew Libatique
Best Art Direction: Harry Potter 7 part 1
Best Costume Design: haven't seen all the nominees, but The King's Speech
Best Sound Mixing: as long as The Social Network doesn't win I'm happy
Best Editing: Black Swan [sub]this award goes hand and hand with Best Picture 90% of the time[/sub]
Best Sound Editing: don't care
Best Visual Effects: don't care
Best Makeup: The Wolfman Duh...
Best Original Song: haven't heard 'em all
Best Original Score: HOW THE FUCK DID TRON NOT GET UP?
Best Short Film: Day and Night probably
I didn't see anything for: Short Live Action, or any Documentaries or Foreign Language films.
Best Animated Film: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR FUCKING DRAGON[sub]but since Toy Story is up for Best Picture and H2TYD isn't... The writing's on the wall here.[/sub]

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Of the films I saw (Inception, Social Network, True Grit and The King's Speech) I think The Social Network was the best, great acting, great pacing, a fairly classic tale told in a new way and incorporating aspects of a true story, and dialogue with razors in it. That is also coming from a die-hard Coen brothers fanboy (just not The Ladykillers OK).

cptawesome

Nov 2, 2009
I'd say my three faves were Social Network, Toy Story, and Inception. All were amazing, all made me cry, and in the end, they are just plain, damn good. I wish Scott Pilgrim had been nominated though, because that would take my pick in a heartbeat.

Btw, speaking of inception, I work at a movie theatre, and probably on of my favorite things about that movie was hearing the crown react to the final shot, where the top might be falling but it cuts to black and just says "INCEPTION." the whole crowd just groans with exasperation, and it is awesome.

Willeus

Mar 12, 2010
In reality, King's Speech is probably going to win the Oscar. For Pete's sake that movie was MADE to win an Oscar. A man's sudden rise to power while trying to overcome a disability is the kind of 'inspirational' story that the people at the Oscars eat up.

Personally, I would like to see Black Swan win the Best Picture Oscar because it had everything I look for in a movie, great writing, compelling character dynamics, unpredictable plot twist sprinkled with yet another plot twist. All around an amazing movie. I guess we'll see what happens at the Oscar.

Dieter Meyer

Jan 14, 2011
By other you mean 127 Hours/Winter's Bone?

I'm not sure yet! Watching 127 Hours tonight... I'm keeping my money on Black Swan atm though

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
My vote goes for True Grit. No movie entertained me more this year. That, and I'm a sucker for Jeff Bridges and the Coen Brothers.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Toy Story three I really liekd the story of the kid growing up and the toys coming to terms with being well thrown out
from what Movie Bob told about the Kings Speech it sounds pretty cheesie

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
If I had a vote I'd vote for Black Swan.

If I had to bet, I'd be A King's Speech - see Movie Bob's Gone Fishin'!