Poll: Which generations of Pokemon do you "recognize"?

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
All generations had their good and bad ideas and... as long as I still enjoy playing the games I don't much care about the rest.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Every generation has a distinct feel to it, and they put a lot of work into it, so I acknowledge all of them.
I'll give you one example of a rather stupid design: Seel. It's deceptively (read:stupidly) simple.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
MorsePacific said:
To be honest, I like some of the fifth generation Pokemon more than most of the first generation. Have you seen how cute Tepig is?
Yep, everybody loves bacon.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Only up to 3rd generation. After that I found the games weren't as fun so I stopped playing them.
Edit: 1st and 2nd Gen were my favourite, although there were some 3rd gen I really liked (Metagross, Swampert and Aggron) FTW

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Ursus Buckler said:
werewolfsfury said:
ya know this kind of thing bothers me. pidove is a pigeon because it's BASED on a pigeon what do you expect for it to look like? not at all what it's based off of? and what about older pokemon like seel? it's just a seal with a horn and improper spelling, shellder is just a shell with eyes and a tongue and grimer is a lump of slime I just don't get this type of thinking
The fact that Shellder and Grimer and Seel are still recognisably Pokemon is what puts them above Pidove. I'm not saying that any of them are Pokemon that I particularly like, but at least they're original. If you live in any urban area, you'll see a Pidove every day. The fact that they HAD to resort to using a pigeon of all things just proves how they've run out of ideas.
So what about Pidgey(=pigeon)?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Only the first three gens, simply because I haven't bought the fourth and fifth gen games. Not for any particular reason, I just haven't got around to it. I am quite hazy on second gen though, it's been too long. May dig out my copy of Crystal...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I still keep up with every new ones they made at best. However I suppose it was when Ruby and Sapphire came out I sort of stop recognizing them well acknowledge the third generation. I just dislike design most of the Pokemon designs in Ruby and Sapphire (but I'm perfectly fine with the next gens after that).

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Scrustle said:
Well they are all "legitimate", they're all made by Nintendo, but I can only reliably recognise up to generation 3. I know some of 4 (I have Pearl), but I don't know them anywhere near as well as I know the ones before. That isn't directly because they are running out of ideas, it's just I am less interested in them because they are running out of ideas. The designs themselves aren't forgettable, they just suck. So I'm not interested in memorising them, or playing the games long enough that it happens without me trying.
Well, arguably the ones in Black and White aren't legitimate. It was my understanding the actual pokemon were designed by the American studio for some reason, as opposed to the Japanese studio that designed previous pokemon.

Anyway, probably the first three generations for me. And it might just be me, but in games that have a mixture of generations, do Johto pokemon seem to be the rarer ones?

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
Mau95 said:
Have you ever seen a pigeon?

http://www.mjbpestcontrol.co.uk/userfiles/pigeon-proofing.jpg

K, now that you've seen a pigeon, let's compare.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/55/016Pidgey.png

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c3/519Pidove.png

Out of the two, Pidgey actually bares the least resemblance to a pigeon. In fact, there's actually been a bit of work done to the design. Pidove is pretty much when I totally lost faith in Pokemon as a franchise, aside from the Garbage Pokemon and the Ice Cream Pokemon. Not only is it a pigeon (or a rat with wings) but it is JUST a pigeon. They're just pathetic. I have no idea why my opinion is causing so much uproar.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I go up to the forth generation, even though I kind of stopped playing at the third. There are a few I like in fifth generation... but for the most part, the designs are just getting stale... and kind of round and blobby.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Ursus Buckler said:
Mau95 said:
Have you ever seen a pigeon?

http://www.mjbpestcontrol.co.uk/userfiles/pigeon-proofing.jpg

K, now that you've seen a pigeon, let's compare.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/55/016Pidgey.png

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c3/519Pidove.png

Out of the two, Pidgey actually bares the least resemblance to a pigeon. In fact, there's actually been a bit of work done to the design. Pidove is pretty much when I totally lost faith in Pokemon as a franchise, aside from the Garbage Pokemon and the Ice Cream Pokemon. Not only is it a pigeon (or a rat with wings) but it is JUST a pigeon. They're just pathetic. I have no idea why my opinion is causing so much uproar.
Pidgey is just a brown bird. Nothing original or creative about it. Ratatta is a rat, nothing original or creative about it. Persian is a cat, nothing original about it. Voltorb is just a ball, nothing original about it. Mr. Mime is just a mime, nothing creative or original about it. You see where I'm going with this? Pokemon have always had bland unoriginal designs. To pick on Pidove while praising previous gens is silly because they all have their uncreative duds. I also find it odd that people complain about bland designs, but also complain about the more offbeat designs. What do people want? They complain about stuff being too simple compared to the originals (which is completely wrong) and then complain about them being too far out there compared to the originals (which had an unchanged mime and a dancing black woman with blonde hair). The reason people favor the old gens over the new is because they grew up with them, and associate them with the fun and excitement they had discovering them as a kid. It's pure nostalgia.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Ursus Buckler said:
werewolfsfury said:
ya know this kind of thing bothers me. pidove is a pigeon because it's BASED on a pigeon what do you expect for it to look like? not at all what it's based off of? and what about older pokemon like seel? it's just a seal with a horn and improper spelling, shellder is just a shell with eyes and a tongue and grimer is a lump of slime I just don't get this type of thinking
The fact that Shellder and Grimer and Seel are still recognisably Pokemon is what puts them above Pidove. I'm not saying that any of them are Pokemon that I particularly like, but at least they're original. If you live in any urban area, you'll see a Pidove every day. The fact that they HAD to resort to using a pigeon of all things just proves how they've run out of ideas.
Ah but that is just you. The problem here isn't the Pokemon, it's you. You paid more attention to the first generation and know every detail of them.
Now that the fifth generation is out, you see a Pokemon and criticize it for "not being original" you just haven't really gotten used to the new pokemon, that's all.

Shit changes, get used to it. There is a reason I like the 4th and 2nd the most, they brought what I felt were the best areas for change, also they has my favorite Pokemon.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
binnsyboy said:
Scrustle said:
Well they are all "legitimate", they're all made by Nintendo, but I can only reliably recognise up to generation 3. I know some of 4 (I have Pearl), but I don't know them anywhere near as well as I know the ones before. That isn't directly because they are running out of ideas, it's just I am less interested in them because they are running out of ideas. The designs themselves aren't forgettable, they just suck. So I'm not interested in memorising them, or playing the games long enough that it happens without me trying.
Well, arguably the ones in Black and White aren't legitimate. It was my understanding the actual pokemon were designed by the American studio for some reason, as opposed to the Japanese studio that designed previous pokemon.

Anyway, probably the first three generations for me. And it might just be me, but in games that have a mixture of generations, do Johto pokemon seem to be the rarer ones?
False.

The Pokemon were still designed by the Japanese, making them not only legit but consistent, the "American" source you got is just the local that Pokemon black and white are set in, a representation of New York. Also there were less johto Pokemon than one thinks.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
I was a pretty die-hard Pokemon fan for years, but after seeing the 5th Generation Pokemon I finally gave up. I like the Legendaries on the cover art, but that's it.