Poll: Which helmet type do you prefer?

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Man, I love the ODST helmet. I don't know what it is, but after being able to wear them in Halo 3, I fell in love. Then Halo 3: ODST came around, and, well... Let's just say a certain glorious hair-actor cemented my love for that helmet once I played as him.

Damn, he makes the ODST's look real good.

But, to be more on topic, I like full, face-covering helmets, which I count the ODST to be a part of: It only shows the face whenever the visor itself isn't polarized, which it usually is. Not to mention, full helmets protect the entire head, whereas I consider open-face helmets to actually leave ones face exposed to danger. Not so with the ODST helmet.

Thank god it's finally being put back in Halo 4. Unfortunately, as paid DLC, but hell, I'll take my ODST fix where I can get it. Now, if only I could get Nathan Fillion's dulcet tones to come out of my Spartans mouth...

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
Most def a full helmet. If I could be choose something else, it would be a full face mask. Balaclava, or just a scarf or something wrapped all the way around.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Where the hell is the "Don't care as long as it looks cool" option? I'm serious, so long as I think it looks cool I don't care.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
I absolutely hate all helmets. I will give up almost any amount of stats to not wear a helmet in games and then I'll feel worse in a compounding fashion for forcing myself to make an objectively bad decision. The single best innovation in video gaming is the hide helmet button.

The kind of headgear I will wear needs to meet at minimum 5 requirements.
- Does not obstruct the face beyond a certain threshold
- Does not hide or restrict my hair style.
- Is not dramatically out of proportion.
- Does not clip with any other graphics on my character. Usually this is hair or horns.
- Is in line aesthetically with what I personally want for a specific character.

This translates mostly accurately into: I occasionally like well modeled crowns, circlets, halos, goggles, hair accessories, and specific hats that do not fuck with my hair or clip with the rest of the character.

Vanilla_Druid

Feb 14, 2012
I am one to say that it depends. Helmets that completely cover the face make it easier to create large groups of soldiers for it saves the time and effort that would normally go into making the individual faces (it is possible to make them all look the same, but that just looks goofy). For important characters, however, I believe it is usually better to show the faces and hint at the hair to make sure they can be identified (there are exceptions, but this is a very general rule I have). I usually forgo helmets completely just because I hate wearing anything on my head in real life. Although I am quite fond of the Brodie helmets.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
It depends. Is the helmet going on the head of a character who's face and hair I took time to customize? If so then no helmet. If it's just going to be hidden the whole game, I may as well have just skipped the character customization part. If It's just a premade character, then whatever helm looks cooler.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
preferably no helmet at all, or at the most a circlet. but if there must be one of those two, then full helm. it's dehumanizing.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Personally? An intelligently designed full helm. What qualifies it as "intelligent"? Proper shape for one,designed to make a square hit difficult with the setting's go-to weapons,and a method to preserve peripheral vision,from either a Samus-esque ultra-wide visor,to the Kestrel Helmet's microcamera array on the armoured like a boss "visor zone". Hell,you know the Cerberus Trooper helmets? Look at the positioning of those red slits. Tiny,yes,but strategically placed to provide maximum protection and a full FOV.

Failing that...I'd like a medium helm. Protection is paramount,but peripheral vision is important if you operate alone.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Full helmets are the type I like the most. The only real exception I can think of is German helmets from the world wars. Although, in RPGs where I take a lot of pride in the character I made I tend to not have helmets at all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Full helmet type since I feel like a badass wearing that despite it will be a problem when I interact with the civilian (they need some sort of a human facial trait to be reasure there are still human underneath the combat clothing).

Aug 31, 2012
Full helmets definitely, the German style visored sallet with a bevor, and by no small coincidence my favourite sci-fi helmet is the WH40K Sororitas power armour helmet.

Apr 5, 2008
I don't like helmets in games where I've spent ages customising a face/hair for my PC. What's the point of character customisation if the character will be covered in a standard model 5 seconds in? I will even use a lower-stats armour to avoid a helmet or ugly armour model, or avoid putting anything in the helmet slot if there is no "Hide Helm" option (a real pain in games where a helmet contributes toward a "Set Bonus"). One of the first mods I downloaded for Skyrim hid most helms from view.

Like one or two others, the only headgear I will generally tolerate are various styles of glasses/eyewear, circlets/headbands and things that don't change a characters hair.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
loc978 said:
In real life... damn things are uncomfortable as hell, cause premature balding, and full face masks are very annoying in that they kill your peripheral vision (which is the only reason a video game with 90FOV could ever be "immersive". Just imagine that the PC is always wearing a really restrictive gas mask. Less than 90FOV... completely unrealistic restriction)... but one saved my life once (one of these [http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/kalski/Militaria/DSC00507.jpg], specifically... which by the by, aren't made of metal, poster above me), so I'm ambivalent towards 'em.
Does that make pumpkins in Minecraft the most immersive helmet in gaming?

Personally I prefer hoods or nothing, but if I must wear a helmet then I prefer a full-face helmet, provided it doesn't look shit.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Shock and Awe said:

Those helmets look sweeeet.
The german stahlhelm image has been redeemed somewhat as modern combat helmets are of a similar style. Being really well designed piece of protective headware helps as well.

I tend to go with the best looking helms, which are usually full face.

But if I did have to equip my personal mook army I would use an iopen face with a detachable faceplate for combat.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I dont like to be on any vehicle that requires me to were helmets.
Need helmet = high chance of cracking your head open, right?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The kind with the intent to protect the users entire head, face included. Isaac's Dead Space suits do this well, so do the Halo armors.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't cover the face it's not a helmet, it's just a glorified hat.

Hats may have their place, but the battlefield isn't one of them.

As for specific models? I've always been fond of the Enclave Helmets from Fallout:

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
It entire depends on how restrictive of the vision it would be. Full face masks with glass openings? your just asking for somebody to smear something onto it.

A full face helm might be more protective if somebody goes for the face, but if its not offering good vision, your not going to see the swing that decides to go for the midsection instead. Tunnel vision is deadly in a fight.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Typically full, looking at the Ranger helmets from Fallout and just about everything from Killzone, as well as the ODSTs and Spartans from Halo. Ooh, not to mention the sweet armors from Dead Space.

In some rpg games, typically fantasy, I don't like the full helmets 'cause their designs are silly, or I want to see the face for expressions.