Poll: Which Jaeger was your favorite?

SmokingBomber465

Mar 5, 2012
The three arms on Crimson typhoon <--

Anyone else been watching a lot of "Ultraman" recently as a result of seeing this movie?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ronack said:
Eren Jaeger in his meat-gundam was a nice surprise twist, tho.
No, it really wasn't. That was the point where the show went from "oh man, this is awesome" to "oh man, this is dumb."

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011

Failing that Striker Eureka. Although Cherno and Typhoon were badass too, pity they didn't show the napalm throwers on Cherno though.

Akalabeth said:
Terratina. said:
Cherno Alpha as well.

They had the best drift suits as well.
Uh . . . except for the lack of helmets. No spoilers but ya know
Wouldn't have saved them from the giant fist crushing and subsequent explosion

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
From the film, I really liked Gipsy Danger.

It's a shame, I was hoping my country might have featured in the film a little, but we basically never get mentioned in big films. Half the time, we aren't even on world maps...

Iron Gix

Mar 26, 2010
Cherno Alpha.
It reminded me of a Big Daddy
and the Russians looked very cool and interesting,really wanted to know more about them,hopefully in the dvd we will get more details or something

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Striker Eureka, and not just because I'm Australian.
Though it was fairly clear that, judging by the accents, the older Australian Ranger's actor had only ever seen a couple of episodes of neighbours at best, while the younger had clearly never heard an Australian accent in his life and instead went straight for a South London accent.
Seriously, how hard is it to get actual Australians, or at least some people who can come CLOSE to a decent accent?

OT: I just like the Striker's quick and deadly style, and the fact that it was smart enough to have an actual ranged weapon.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Definitely Cherno Alpha. They were all pretty cool but Cherno Alpha was this powerhouse that did not have enough screen time. It was quite disappointing to see those two Jaegers taken out so quickly though.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
Voted for Striker Eureka because it the most advanced, it's fast, and if it wasn't freaking digital it would probably have kicked both those Kaijus' asses.

Cherno Alpha is a REALLY close second because, as others have said, it was simply the most badass of them all. It had never lost a single engagement, and it took two Kaiju and one sneak attack from the fat toad to take it down.

How they handled Crimson Typhoon was just sad and disappointing. It should have been far more powerful, but they portrayed it as slow and weak. Given the effectiveness of the swords, those arm-saws should literally cut through those Kaiju, but it looks like it barely gives it a freaking paper cut.

And then there's Gipsy Danger, which, while the most boring in terms of design, is one you gotta love simply because it looks like a giant human punching giant monsters.

ninjapenguin1414

Jun 16, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Even the friendly Aussies get sidelined, half replaced by an American then exploded.
Since no one has pointed this out yet, Idris Elba the guy who played Stacker Pentecost (the commander or leader) who replaced the Aussie dad after he got hurt is from England so I'm not sure what American you are talking about.

OT: Even though I have no idea what it looks like I'm going with Diablo Intercept cause it sounds badass.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Before I even voted, I knew Cherno Alpha would be taking this one.
Don't get me wrong, Cherno is freaking awesome and I love her, I just like Crimson Typhoon more. Doing freaking sumo flips and three arms with buzz-saws for hands? Oh yeah!
Ironically enough though, if I could pilot one of my choosing from that group, it would be Striker Eureka. That speed is a real game changer.

And I have to say, some of the fan-made stuff is awesome and hilarious.

In the awesome category:

And in the hilarious:

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
My serious answer would be Unit 00 err I mean Crimson Typhoon >.>. A spin-off t.v. show could be pretty cool I reckon, show off the Jaegers that didn't get the screen-time they deserved.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Shanicus said:
chozo_hybrid said:
From the film, I really liked Gipsy Danger.

It's a shame, I was hoping my country might have featured in the film a little, but we basically never get mentioned in big films. Half the time, we aren't even on world maps...
Hey now, we got two aussie pilots, an aussie robot and they actually showed parts of Sydney that wasn't the Opera House (granted they did show it, but how else would the rest of the world know it was Sydney?), so we got more than we usually do.
I'm from New Zealand, not Australia. Notice the flag and country the image showed for the Jaeger I made on their site? Not to mention it's on my profile.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
None of them?

After watching even a little bit of Gundam and/or Code Geass, the mechs featured in this movie were incredibly bland. Their primary mode of attack all seemed to be "punch things ineffectively," and only when shit got serious did they pull out their 1 (!) unique weapon, like a titty missile launcher or a zap cannon. The most "unique" themed mech was easily the chinese one, and they did *nothing* with the fact that it had 3 arms. Mount an arm on the chest, mount an arm on the torso, mount a long arm on the back and have it reach over the shoulder or under the legs or something; if you mount an arm behind another arm, so that it gets blocked by said arm any time you actually fight anything, the arm is totally pointless (as it was in the movie, the moment they came across a monster with a tail-arm they got their shit wrecked).

I was just put off by the lack of mech diversity. They look a little more unique than, say, anything from Bay's transformer snorefests, but given their origin in various manga/anime, they were unfortunately all very similar.

Just for a small preview of what could have been drawn from:

The Epyon whip-chain-sword that Gipsy Danger pulled out was badass on several levels, but that was really the only moment I was "wowed" by anything the mechs in the movie offered. It seemed more sensible than they'd all have some kind of "weapon," even if it was just a giant sword or lance or tail-mounted flamethrower. Yknow? Even when he just picked up a ship and whacked the bad guy with it, it seemed to be far more effective than the silly punching they did for most of the film.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
AuronFtw said:
None of them?

After watching even a little bit of Gundam and/or Code Geass, the mechs featured in this movie were incredibly bland. Their primary mode of attack all seemed to be "punch things ineffectively," and only when shit got serious did they pull out their 1 (!) unique weapon, like a titty missile launcher or a zap cannon. The most "unique" themed mech was easily the chinese one, and they did *nothing* with the fact that it had 3 arms. Mount an arm on the chest, mount an arm on the torso, mount a long arm on the back and have it reach over the shoulder or under the legs or something; if you mount an arm behind another arm, so that it gets blocked by said arm any time you actually fight anything, the arm is totally pointless (as it was in the movie, the moment they came across a monster with a tail-arm they got their shit wrecked).

I was just put off by the lack of mech diversity. They look a little more unique than, say, anything from Bay's transformer snorefests, but given their origin in various manga/anime, they were unfortunately all very similar.

Just for a small preview of what could have been drawn from:

The Epyon whip-chain-sword that Gipsy Danger pulled out was badass on several levels, but that was really the only moment I was "wowed" by anything the mechs in the movie offered. It seemed more sensible than they'd all have some kind of "weapon," even if it was just a giant sword or lance or tail-mounted flamethrower. Yknow? Even when he just picked up a ship and whacked the bad guy with it, it seemed to be far more effective than the silly punching they did for most of the film.
The problem with the parallel to anime is that one stylistic choice made borrowing too much incredibly inefficient: Speed. What Pacific Rim went for is lumbering and forceful assaults and movements, every step feeling like it displaces water on a huge scale. The sheer resistance made taking "anime" designs a bit ridiculous. Sure, they were "inspired by" a couple of them, but they couldn't make a 100% translation. Giant thirty something story robots don't glide slide and other shiny shit, it just doesn't work.

That's not to say they couldn't have made a movie with that particular style, but that's not what this one was going for.

Also, flamethrower? Really?

... really?

:p

Let's shoot fire at these highly armored Kaiju. I'm sure they'll think twice next time they chew through the fuel tank.

Oh, and Pacific Rim had one huge thing over bayformers: the Jaeger design was not riddled with random machinery that whizzled and buzzed for no reason. Most everything seemed like it had a place, even if it didn't. Bayformers just had spinny shit for the sake of spinny shit.

OT:
Striker Eureka, probably. I am still mad about the Chinese and Russian teams getting evaporated, but since Striker got more screen-time I end up liking it more.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
I love Cherno as well. Seriously, given the Russian mentality I imagine the exchange went like this.

A: We need a nuclear reactor, where can we get one?
B: Uh, a nuclear power plant?
A: Great, stick some legs and a rocket launcher on one of those!