Poll: Which L4D do you prefer?

Emendo5

Mar 25, 2009
Okay, so I've played the shit out of both L4D and L4D2. Both are great games, sure, but Valve made the point that L4D2 was their more refined version of the Left 4 Dead experience. However, I still find myself liking the original over the second. So I ask you, Escapists, which L4D do you prefer?

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
I like the first one. Honestly? It was so simple. I mean, there's nothing really complex about Left 4 Dead 2 but it felt a little, muddled. Plus the only level I found memorable was the Circus one. I also love the original characters more.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
I prefer the original, which I had for PC, over the second' which I had for Xbox. Probably for that sole reason.

PC Valve > Xbox Valve

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
I like Left 4 Dead 1 because it plays like a series of non-liniar explotation movies that can be in any order. I like Left 4 Dead 2 for the southern feel, the meele weapons, and Coach. I also HATE Lois for some reason. He always steals my healthpacks when I am limping along. Don't forget them jumping in the way of my bullets at all moments. Left 4 Dead 2 sort of fixed that by making the AI a little better. I don't like all of the monsters... and the Passing... ung... they killed my favorite #1 character from the rouster. ANd you couldn't even play as them! Why not a mix'n'match system!

MajorKris

Aug 10, 2009
When Left 4 Dead 2 first came out I found myself missing the original. But after awhile, I found myself enjoying 2 much more.

I enjoy the harder difficulty, the new special infected, realism, and the banter of the characters. I also say 2 because I enjoy versus much more compared to the first game. On Left 4 Dead 1 I would only play the campaign.

I do miss the characters however, but the new survivors have really grown on me.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I like the original characters but I like #2's gameplay. It's more varied with more special infected as will as the maps and weapons. They need to include the original characters more in L4D2 and I'll be happy.

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
I like Left 4 Dead 2 more just because it has much more variety than the first one. The characters are good but the original cast was the best. Some of the campaigns were better in the original as well. I hope Valve releases a patch or some DLC that has the best Left 4 Dead 1 campaigns. I think someone made a mod for them on PC, but I want to see Valve release them.

LordCastle

Mar 14, 2010
Left 4 Dead is pretty much just superior. The only thing I can say I care about enough to wish it was in L4D1 is the Deagle. But then, that's probably because the L4D2 pistols suck ass, making the deagle infinitely better in comparison. I liked the pistols in L4D1, I don't know how the deagle would rank up to them.

As a side note: Has anyone else noticed how absolutely useless the pump shotguns, uzi, and mac are? Melee weapons and deagle are better than tier 1 primaries.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
I said Left 4 Dead because I haven't actually played Left 4 Dead 2. I live in Australia and wasn't willing to sacrifice all the fun in the game, eventually I'll actually get off my ass and import, but until then I have the first one to play. Again and again and again.

LordCastle

Mar 14, 2010
Dr. Awesome Face said:
I said Left 4 Dead because I haven't actually played Left 4 Dead 2. I live in Australia and wasn't willing to sacrifice all the fun in the game, eventually I'll actually get off my ass and import, but until then I have the first one to play. Again and again and again.
Because playing it on the Xbox won't be worse than losing some of the gore? Haha, that's hilarious.

Salakayin

Apr 1, 2010
I'm sorta not sure at this point which is my favorite of the two, for I find both quite enjoyable. Both have aspects that I like over the other within in them, and thus it makes it kinda hard to decide when it comes to an overall of the L4D series.

When it comes to atmosphere, I tend to prefer the feel of the original L4D campaigns. The dark, claustrophobic environment really appealed to me as I was playing through it. Not saying that the atmosphere of L4D2 was bad or anything, but it was a lot...brighter, you could say. Not just in the sense that their is a mammoth load of sunlight, but that you have a clear goal on where you need to go for rescue. L4D you sorta just bounced around in the dark hoping that one of these options will prove to finally rescue you.

When it comes to game-play, however, I tend to prefer L4D2. It has a much more refined feel of play, and a lot more variety on how one can approach tackling on the campaigns. In L4D all I really ended up using were double pistols and the assault rifle < occasionally, but rarely, the auto-shotgun>. In L4D2 I have a wide range of secondary and primary weapons that I can choose from depending on my mood and how I want to slaughter zombies.

When it comes to the Survivors...it's a toss-up, really. I don't hate either one of them, although I tend to prefer the original Survivor cast just a bit more on the overall scale. However, I like and enjoy both Bill and Nick equally, so I can't really decide. They're both great groups of Survivors to work with, and their interaction in The Passing was quite enjoyable .

And I went on a rant about that, but that's what I get for writing a post after finishing Calculus work. But hey, there's my thoughts on the L4D games for y'all to read < or pass by because it's a large chunk of text, wouldn't blame ya>.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Gotta say, I love Left 4 Dead the original. No f*cking annoying Spitters and Jockeys. Plus it had Louis, the coolest black guy I know. :D

pedroREE

Apr 1, 2010
L4D

The chemistry between the characters in the 1st game cannot and was not easily replicated. Bill and Francis bickering, the simplicity of the maps, and the attention to the details made the game so much more enjoyable than the addition of beheading zombies and "RE: Your Brains" on the jukebox.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
I like the 2nd because.. cmon... SWORDS!!! And the gibbing. NOthing better then cutting open a stomach with a samurai sword to reveal the contents within :p

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
im going to have to go with 2. the first one was a classic but the melee weapons bring the second one to a whole new level. plus nick is the man. also i didnt think the passing was bad, and all 4 of the originals were there you just had to look for them

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I prefer the first one over the second. Better setting(s), better characters, less annoying crescendo events.
Though I wouldn't mind seeing a fire axe make an appearance in the first game...

Banana Phone

Jan 11, 2009
The first one was a LOT better to me. The characters and maps are so much better, and i preferred the simple 3-zombie system (nerfed my Smoker!) The expanded weapon choice in L4D2 was nice, though.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
AWW man, its like having to choose between kids!

well since they aren't kids, Ill go with Left 4 Dead 2 because it perfected and expanded on what the first one started.

Dream Team:

Bill
Coach
Francis
Nick

(they are also the best bots when you accidentally don't play as them)

P.S. RIP Bill, not only my favorite character but who I hoped would have a better death at least. Damn the voice actor for not returning.