Poll: Which of these old school RPGs should I play?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Ok basically I'm bored with what I normally play and I figured I already bought a bunch of the "best RPGs ever" during GOG sales so I figure I might as well get around to playing them. However I wonder which one I should play first. I do already have Planescape Torment installed and fully modded but I haven't gotten far since I'm a coward who doesn't want to screw the game up within the first level plus I have no knowledge of D&D. So I come here asking for recommendations for which one first(I'm calling Baldur's Gate right now). I personally would prefer reasons in the comments as to why I should play that one rather than just voting. Also if any of you have any tips for games running with D&D rules that would be greatly appreciated since that was the main reason I haven't played so many of these. So thank you for your time and comments then.

ThoughtlessConcept

Jan 10, 2009
Unless you want to do the engine update on BG1 I'd just read some backstory and then play BG2, the engine update take fooooorrrreeevvveerrr.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Knowing DnD isn't really a big deal with Planescape Torment since not only does it take place in a more obscure setting largely unhindered by DnD tropes but also because combat and rulesets are really just such a minor part of the game. A minor and pretty mediocre part, combat is not Planescape's strength at all. In truth it's easier to think of Planescape: Torment as an interactive book that also just happens to be in an isometric rpg game engine rather than as a DnD game itself. I mean it *is*, but that's not why any sane person plays the game, they play it for the story which itself can be fully appreciated on its own.

Planescape aside it's funny seeing Divine Divinity up there. Good game, great even, but it's not really like any other game on your list. It's more Diablo than Baldur's Gate or Fallout. Combat oriented non-tactical gameplay, very well done but also an entirely different beast than the other games. So really if you're looking for something more actiony that'd be a great pick.

Personally however I choose (predictable although it might be) Baldur's Gate. For someone new to DnD its almost guaranteed to be teeth gnashingly hard at the start and bound to be the source of some frustration, but that said it's also probably the most well balanced game of the list and easily one of the most satisfying. The story is excellent, the characters memorable, the combat entertaining and nicely tactical, and it even looks nice once you'd updated the resolution. Just a really well done all-round experience and in my opinion Bioware's best work to date. Other games might do one or two things better but the BG games are just the whole experience, I like that!

Icewind Dale meanwhile is a more combat heavy plot-lite version of BG above. Same engine, same combat, less story. So if you like the combat as many people did and still do the Icewind Dale series are fantastic. But if you're not sure yet... I'd save them for later.

Hope that helps!

ThoughtlessConcept said:
Unless you want to do the engine update on BG1 I'd just read some backstory and then play BG2, the engine update take fooooorrrreeevvveerrr.
Takes about an hour on my computer and certainly worth the time spent, especially since it opens up the possibility of amazing mods like BG1 NPC Project and Unfinished Business both of which I extremely highly recommend even for a first playthrough. Besides Baldur's Gate 1 is a fantastic experience, why push it aside just because the mods can take awhile to set up?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
The Madman said:
Knowing DnD isn't really a big deal with Planescape Torment since not only does it take place in a more obscure setting largely unhindered by DnD tropes but also because combat and rulesets are really just such a minor part of the game. A minor and pretty mediocre part, combat is not Planescape's strength at all. In truth it's easier to think of Planescape: Torment as an interactive book that also just happens to be in an isometric rpg game engine rather than as a DnD game itself. I mean it *is*, but that's not why any sane person plays the game, they play it for the story which itself can be fully appreciated on its own.

Planescape aside it's funny seeing Divine Divinity up there. Good game, great even, but it's not really like any other game on your list. It's more Diablo than Baldur's Gate or Fallout. Combat oriented non-tactical gameplay, very well done but also an entirely different beast than the other games. So really if you're looking for something more actiony that'd be a great pick.

Personally however I choose (predictable although it might be) Baldur's Gate. For someone new to DnD its almost guaranteed to be teeth gnashingly hard at the start and bound to be the source of some frustration, but that said it's also probably the most well balanced game of the list and easily one of the most satisfying. The story is excellent, the characters memorable, the combat entertaining and nicely tactical, and it even looks nice once you'd updated the resolution. Just a really well done all-round experience and in my opinion Bioware's best work to date. Other games might do one or two things better but the BG games are just the whole experience, I like that!

Icewind Dale meanwhile is a more combat heavy plot-lite version of BG above. Same engine, same combat, less story. So if you like the combat as many people did and still do the Icewind Dale series are fantastic. But if you're not sure yet... I'd save them for later.

Hope that helps!

ThoughtlessConcept said:
Takes about an hour on my computer and certainly worth the time spent, especially since it opens up the possibility of amazing mods like BG1 NPC Project and Unfinished Business both of which I extremely highly recommend even for a first playthrough. Besides Baldur's Gate 1 is a fantastic experience, why push it aside just because the mods can take awhile to set up?
Well amusingly enough I've heard every single one of those but still thanks. Though one quick question about Baldur's Gate is there some serious well known balance issue in that game? Like choosing one class at random could turn the game into heaven or hell just on luck of the draw? That's mainly why I hesitate playing D&D games since I don't think I've ever heard of a single issue of D&D that didn't have grievous balance problems.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
As someone who strongly dislikes D&D inspired gameplay I enjoyed Planescape Torment far more than BG. The combat is very clunky but easier and more accessible, at least in my opinion. If you're just looking for an awesome story in RPG format I'd recommend Planescape. If you actually enjoy the archaic D&D elements then BG series is probably the better choice. Both have equally great stories with unique characters.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Personally I played BG1, no mods or anything, just recently. It was fine. It might be hard to go back to after I've played BG2, but before that it doens't really pose a problem. Still an incredible game.

I say play Fallout first though. It's easier to get into and isn't quite the time commitment that BG is. Tackle BG after that.

I haven't played Planescape Torment yet... but I'm getting closer with each other game I complete.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
80Maxwell08 said:
Well amusingly enough I've heard every single one of those but still thanks. Though one quick question about Baldur's Gate is there some serious well known balance issue in that game? Like choosing one class at random could turn the game into heaven or hell just on luck of the draw? That's mainly why I hesitate playing D&D games since I don't think I've ever heard of a single issue of D&D that didn't have grievous balance problems.
Not really. Obviously there are classes better at some things than others and a few that aren't nearly as useful as the others, but generally speaking picking one class at the start wont completely ruin the experience. Keep in mind also there are eventually going to be 5 other companions anyway who will balance out any weakness of your own character. By default the game guides the player towards a pretty good group composition with Khalid and Jaheira as well as eventually Minsc and Dynaheir joining you, but unlike modern rpg if you don't like them you're free to join up with other characters as well who each might have their own advantages and disadvantages. For a first playthrough I'd say stick with them however as well as Imoen as not only is it a well composed group but it's the one BG2 presumes the player will have had and so makes the most sense story-wise.

Going back to the player character however Fighters, Paladin and Ranger are consistently useful choices throughout the games and probably the ones I'd pick for a first time player. Archer in particular (Subclass of Ranger) are absolute destroyers in BG1 although their use diminishes a fair bit in BG2 when you start fighting more diverse and capable opponents. Still if you want possibly the most easy class to start with that'd be the one!

The other class all have their advantage and disadvantage but can also be tricky to learn right away and in some cases absolutely pathetic to begin with. A mage for example isn't going to be much use whatsoever for a large portion of BG1, although by the end of BG2 they're gods in terms of power. Still for someone new to DnD and Baldur's Gate the game is going to be difficult enough to begin with without also choosing a class that will only blossom in terms of usefulness hours and hours into the game. You'll have companions anyway throughout the games to play around with and experiment with other classes.

Still it's up to you. As long as you know the basic ideas (Fighters need high strength and constitution, mages intelligence, etc) it's pretty difficult to truly mess up. Remember the lower the number the better for armour class as well, amazing how many people don't get that.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
All of them. They're dirt cheap and you'd never have to worry your pretty head about having to buy another game again.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Arcanum of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. It's basically a steampunk D&D done like the old Fallout games and I've been hacing great fun with it since I got it from gog.com

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
MightyRabbit said:
I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Arcanum of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. It's basically a steampunk D&D done like the old Fallout games and I've been hacing great fun with it since I got it from gog.com
This. Arcanum shits all over the games in the poll (in my lovely oh so volatile opinion).

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Does Neverwinter Nights 2 count as "old school"? I mean, it's fairly recent compared to the rest of the list.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Planescape. Ten Planescape.

Then Arcanum but please patch it first. In my opinion, the rest do not compare. BG is good and all, but there's a marked difference between "good" and "perhaps the best thing ever". Story-wise, at any rate. It's probably better than Planescape on combat, though of the three, I like Arcanum best.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Baldur's Gate... Always Baldur's Gate.

Neverwinter Nights games are pretty good too, although not really old school.
Fallout games are great too, but it doesn't really compare to newer games in the series, whereas Baldur's Gate is still one of the best RPGs of all time, even compared to modern games like Sykrim.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
I've heard good things about Baldur's Gate. And from what I've seen, NWN2 is pretty good.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
One thing I'd suggest is that before playing, check out the GOG forum for the game you've chosen. Most of those have a stickied thread with a modding guide to give you widescreen options, updated graphics, unofficial patches and fixes, restored content, etc.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
Baldurs Gate after finishing that Icewind Dale then neverwinter nights the three series cover a fair amount of the Forgotten Realms.