Poll: Which piece of hardware is more important?

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
I am using the basic, microsoft keyboard and mouse set up (http://www.mothercomputers.com/files/2/keyboard1000.jpg) that I would very much like to replace, possibly with something like a razer deathadder and a low end gaming keyboard. However, I also have a relatively old amw monitor, that can manage a max resolution of 1024 x 1280 (that I can't find a decent picture for). I'd ideally like to replace this with a LCD gaming monitor.

I would really like to replace all three of these, because I'm really not doing my computer justice with such awful peripherals. However, thanks to the 100% pure awesome that is star wars: the old republic, I can't afford to replace all three.

What do you think would be the best purchase? The gaming mouse, the gaming keyboard, or the gaming monitor?

EDIT: Sorry, the poll kinda broke. It also appears as if the escapist liked my topic so much it decided to post it twice.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Is the monitor LCD?
Or is it the really old CRT kind of monitor?

If your monitor is CRT, then you need to replace that as soon as you can.
Hell, I'd even sacrifice new games for that.

If not though, I'd say go for a mouse and a new monitor (depending on how good/bad your old one is of course).

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
The monitor needs to be changed. Keyboard and mouse are not a big deal, but a new monitor will make a huge difference. Especially ones that support higher resolutions and are widescreen..

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I would say monitor first, but as for keyboard and mouse? It depends on your preferred genres.

If you play a lot of FPS games you're going to want a high precision mouse, but for MMO's a gaming keyboard with some nice macro buttons is just fantastic.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
fenrizz said:
Is the monitor LCD?

If not though, I'd say go for a mouse and a new monitor (depending on how good/bad your old one is of course).
The one I have at the moment is an LCD, it's about 5 years old, 19" screen (not widescreen). The one I've got my eye on is a widescreen LED gaming monitor that's about 24", roughly £140.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Evil Top Hat said:
fenrizz said:
Is the monitor LCD?

The one I have at the moment is an LCD, it's about 5 years old, 19" screen (not widescreen). The one I've got my eye on is a widescreen LCD gaming monitor that's about 24", roughly £140.
I'd change that then.

I have a 22" widescreen LED monitor and the difference is staggering.
I doubt I could even get comfortable with a non widescreen again at this point.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Monitor. There isn't much need for a specialized gaming mouse and even less for a keyboard. Also, don't buy Razer. It's overpriced junk.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I've never found the need for a gaming mouse or keyboard. I manage just fine with my standard set.

I'm going with the general consensus; get the monitor.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Monitor. I've never felt the need for a gaming mouse or keyboard. I use a good old fashioned IBM QWERTY keyboard and it's just fine. The mouse is different but not that big a deal as long as I'm comfortable using it and it works.

Visuals make a massive difference. Spring for the screen.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Monitor first if it's really that bad, and if you are a seriously competitive gamer you need a CRT one.

The basic wired mouse and keyboard will serve you far better then you may think, and be sure to test any new mouse and keyboard before you shell out money, if they don't fit your style you will be throwing money away.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
Mr.K. said:
The basic wired mouse and keyboard will serve you far better then you may think, and be sure to test any new mouse and keyboard before you shell out money, if they don't fit your style you will be throwing money away.
My current mouse is wireless, as is my keyboard. I honestly don't know what my stlye is, because the keyboard and mouse I currently use are the only ones I have ever used, they are my only frame of reference. I don't even have a preffered genre, I play all sorts of games, some new, some old. I like RPGs, FPS and all sorts.

Thanks for the feedback though, you've all been very helpful!

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Upgrade the monitor. Everything will look better.

Don't bother with the keyboard.

As for the mouse, if it uses a ball, upgrade it to an optical one. There is quite a difference in responsiveness. But you don't need to spend much on it.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Buy a super awesome monitor.
Bad Jim said:
As for the mouse, if it uses a ball, upgrade it to an optical one. There is quite a difference in responsiveness. But you don't need to spend much on it.
I'm still rocking it old skool with a ball mouse and it's a major annoyance, I should probably upgrade it.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
My advice is to ignore those ppl telling you to buy a big LCD IF you dont have a good enough GFX card to run your games in native resolution it'll just look ugly and blurred due to interpolation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

I have a 23" widescreen LCD which came with my new PC but I also keep around my old 19" CRT for playing games in lower resolution and also for retro games especially 2d games with pixel art. (My CRT is fantastic for playing 3:4 aspect arcade games like shmups as I can just flip it on its side)

It all depends on the spec of your PC and what games you play but when it comes to upgrading its better to think about bottlenecks in your set up as one part of your computer affects the other.

However saying that if you do plan on playing a MMO the a big screen is a godsend, especially multiple montitors if the MMO allows it.