Poll: Which Race in GW2 is the Fan Favorite?

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Humans.

Then Sylvari.

Then Charr and Norn.

Then Asura.

If we're talking starting area: Human>Asura>Charr>Norn. Not tried Sylvari.

If we're talking BWE storyline: Charr>Human>Norn.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
targren said:
I don't care if GW2 calls them 'Sylvari,' they're still fucking elves. The best part about GW? It had no goddamn elves.
They're really not. They seem to borrow more heavily from celtic folklore than the traditional Tolkienesque "High Elf" that has saddled the fantasy genre for the last 50 years. Aside from their affinity for plants, as they are plants, there's not a lot of common ground between the two.

targren

May 13, 2009
Emiscary said:
Either you're not very informed about them, or your definition of "elves" is so all encompassing that you must hate like 2/3 of all fantasy >.>
It's the latter. :) I'm very picky about my fantasy, apparently.

Finally getting around to reading Wheel of Time, in fact. No elves so far!

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I played femnorn during beta and the voice acting made my ears bleed it was so bland and horrible. So i'll either go charr or evil gnome, I don't play elves no matter the fantasy setting and my opinion on playing humans in a fantasy setting is not favorable. Its unfortunate because the idea of a big burly chick engineer seemed really cool to me.

tiakeravelonna

May 8, 2012
Jasper Jeffs said:
It depends on the profession for me, but I'll probably roll an Asuran Engineer on launch, I love their crazy animations. I've seen a few popular polls and it seems that Humans are the most popular race on average, followed by Asura/Sylvari and then Charr/Norn.
Agreed. To me, some professions seemed to "fit" certain races. I'll be rolling a charr engineer rather than an asura engineer, although the asura would fit that profession as well.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
targren said:
Emiscary said:
Either you're not very informed about them, or your definition of "elves" is so all encompassing that you must hate like 2/3 of all fantasy >.>

Yet, how are the Sylvari elves?

snekadid said:
I played femnorn during beta and the voice acting made my ears bleed it was so bland and horrible. So i'll either go charr or evil gnome, I don't play elves no matter the fantasy setting and my opinion on playing humans in a fantasy setting is not favorable. Its unfortunate because the idea of a big burly chick engineer seemed really cool to me.
I'm definitely playing Female Charr Engineer.

I hope they develop the Female Charr pectoralis muscles more then cover them in fluff (like they were in the character concept image)... From what I've seen, their chests are WAY too cylindrical and featureless (And no, I'm not a fan of "Give the hellcats breasts"... Or at least no "breasts" larger than Vin Diesel's or Isaiaha Mustafa's)... Actually, they needed more developed abdominal muscles than what I've seen. I don't CARE if they have fur over them!

targren

May 13, 2009
Scow2 said:
targren said:
Emiscary said:

Aesthetically [http://www.logicalgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sylvari-01.jpg], for [http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/5/54/Sylvari_01_concept_art_%28white%29.jpg] starters [http://i.imgur.com/4h274.png]

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
targren said:
Scow2 said:
targren said:
Emiscary said:

Aesthetically [http://www.logicalgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sylvari-01.jpg], for [http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/5/54/Sylvari_01_concept_art_%28white%29.jpg] starters [http://i.imgur.com/4h274.png]
And Enders, as well.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Intially I would say the Sylvari (I like the organic look to them especially their clothing) however unless we get to play as them (and the Asuran) in the next beta I voting for the Charr.
During the beta I was more drawn into the Charr storyline (I play all three legions) since part of their story is to rebuild your characters warband (close minded party) which remind me of rpg in general when you getting new party members except you can't switch them out for another member.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Emiscary said:
Never! I'm tired of putting up with dwarves. They've everywhere, and they're fucking stupid.
Damn, you're like me but with Dwarves. I'm that exact way with Elves, I'm tired of seeing them shoved into EVERYTHING. Oh we need one more race? Y NOT ELVES?!

They're always the same fey, magic obsessed, overly done-up bullshit too.

Really though, if there's one thing I think most people can agree on is we need some new contenders in RPGs instead of the tired old trifecta of Dwarf / Human / Elf.

Hell give us a playable race of Zoidbergs or something, something new and different.

As for me, I'm leaning towards Norn though I can see a lot of the love for Asura.

tiakeravelonna

May 8, 2012
The problem with GW is that there aren't too many other races that aren't evil. My husband wanted to be able to play as the Tengu, but really...what else is there?

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Because I can't bring myself to pick only one, i'll just list them in order of which ones I like best:

1.Charr
2.Sylvari
3.Asura
4.Norn
5.Human

Yeah, I'll be playing 1 of each. In fact I'll be playing one of each profession. With 8 professions that means i'll be playing both male and female characters of the last human races.

Ickorus said:
I don't really have a favourite, I love them all.

The internet seems to favor the Charr though.
I just absent-mindedly tried to brush a bug off my screen while reading this thread. I was genuinely surprised when I realized that there was no bug on my screen to brush off. And then I felt truly embarrassed as I know I've seen your avatar before.

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
For me the big question is will characters get wiped between beta events? I know they will be wiped before launch, but in the meanwhile, I am tempted to stick with my Norn character because that race apeals to me the least. Once the game launchs I want to get more into Char>Sylvari>Asura>Human... Right now I like them all more than Norn. I'm not a huge fan of the "spirits of the wild" thing they got going on.

Ginger768

May 8, 2012
I just hope to god it's not the damned elves. What is peoples fetish with playing elves in every single fantasy game ever? And don't give me a bull crud reply that Sylvari are not elves, you know it to be true. People talk about dwarves being over used, look at elves! At least some games make dwarves have a Differentiating lore(Dragon age), and when they are present in the universe they barley even show up!

But elves on the other hand are widely used the same way. As nature loving near humans who worship trees have long hair and are almost universally attractive. I was excited about the radically unique racial options in GW2 until i saw more Elves. They already ruined the diversity in WoW. I'd hate for them to ruin it here too.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Ginger768 said:
I just hope to god it's not the damned elves. What is peoples fetish with playing elves in every single fantasy game ever? And don't give me a bull crud reply that Sylvari are not elves, you know it to be true. People talk about dwarves being over used, look at elves! At least some games make dwarves have a Differentiating lore(Dragon age), and when they are present in the universe they barley even show up!

But elves on the other hand are widely used the same way. As nature loving near humans who worship trees have long hair and are almost universally attractive. I was excited about the radically unique racial options in GW2 until i saw more Elves. They already ruined the diversity in WoW. I'd hate for them to ruin it here too.
How did a race that had been around since the Second Warcraft game (And hinted at in the first despite its small scale) "ruin" the Diversity of WoW.

Also... Sylvari may have a few superficial similarities to Elves, but they are NOT long lived, an old race, nor particularly adamant about protecting nature. In fact, if you paid ANY attention to their lore, you'd see that, yes, they are "elves"... but not Tolkein Elves. "Elf" is synonymous with "Capricous Fey" - which is what these things are. They are alien. Heard about the "Nightmare Court"?

Looks like an elf to me!

Ginger768

May 8, 2012
Scow2 said:
Ginger768 said:

How did a race that had been around since the Second Warcraft game (And hinted at in the first despite its small scale) "ruin" the Diversity of WoW.

Also... Sylvari may have a few superficial similarities to Elves, but they are NOT long lived, an old race, nor particularly adamant about protecting nature. In fact, if you paid ANY attention to their lore, you'd see that, yes, they are "elves"... but not Tolkein Elves. "Elf" is synonymous with "Capricous Fey" - which is what these things are. They are alien. Heard about the "Nightmare Court"?
Have you seen the WoW Census? About 50% of the horde is made up of Blood elves. Let me say that again. Fifty percent of THE HORDE is ELVES. The horde is defined as a faction that is made up of beast with noble hearts. Not Elves. I've said this on a million forums before:Elves ruined the Aesthetic and diversity of the horde.

And yes i have looked at the Sylvari lore and made a race that i originally only thought to be Aesthetically displeasing to actually be the worst written Elves ever. Taken from the website:

"The story of the sylvari begins with a human and a centaur. The human was Ronan, a warrior with the Shining Blade. Separated from his patrol, he discovered a cavern filled with strange seeds and guarded by powerful plant creatures. He took one of those seeds and brought it home to his family, only to discover that his entire village had been slaughtered by the White Mantle and their powerful would-be gods, the Mursaat. Grieving, he planted the seed on their graves and swore to never take up the sword again."

Not to sound homophobic or offend anyone but: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Seriously what the living hell is this taint on paper? I wanted to puke while reading this it's worse written than twilight. A human and centaur tired of war plant a tree that grows an entire race of elves from the ground that share a magical dream? The Guild wars universe is in no way a deep or intricate universe but this crap just cheapens the whole thing to Capcom style writing.