Poll: Which should I get: Wii U or PS Vita?

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
CaitSeith said:
Ryallen said:
Just adding some context here: I'm not into platformers, I like action-y games, I love RPGs, and I have no social life, so no friends to play with.
I think that isn't enough context, as the future of PS Vita is more uncertain than the Wii U's. PS Vita has much more games (with AAA graphic quality), but there are very few games planned for the future (even less than for the Wii U). On the other hand, if you worry that your parents may complain about what you play, Bayonetta (one of the best actiony games the Wii U has) can become a topic for arguments (just check the LP videos and see for yourself). PS Vita is portable and thus easier to play on private.
I'm 19 years old. My parents don't give a shit what I play. The whole reason that I even considered the PS Vita in the first place is because of Persona 4 Golden, in that it's a sure thing that I'd like it. What makes me pause, however, is the possibility that the Wii U has better games and is going to get better games in the future, whereas I don't even know if there are going to be any more decent games for the PS Vita.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Why the comparison? The Wii U is a home console (with a touchscreen controller), the Vita is a handheld device.

A more adequate comparison would be 3DS vs. Vita.

Anyway, if you flat-out don't like platformers then stay the hell away from Nintendo, because that's their bread and butter. For RPGs they have Xenoblade Chronicles X, and the Skylanders and Monster Hunter games. Also a couple of Dragon's Quests though I think those are MMORPGs.

On the other hand Sony has very good third-party support in Japan and gets tons of RPGs: Atelier (something like 5 games of those), Bastion, Demon Gaze, Disgaea 3 & 4, Dragon's Crown, Freedom Wars, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Muramasa Rebirth, Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Hearts, Tales of Innocence, etc.

As for "action-y" games, I think each console has a fair share of those. You might as well just google "Wii U games" and "PS Vita games" and compare. Personally I've never really associated Nintendo with action.
I did that. Both consoles came up with either platformers, games that I knew I wouldn't like, and games that aren't out yet, mostly for the Wii U, though. I already have a 3DS, so I don't need to compare it with the Vita. I've noticed that both consoles, however, are often said are under appreciated, to a certain extent, and that there are good games on both systems, hence the comparison.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I'm 19 years old. My parents don't give a shit what I play. The whole reason that I even considered the PS Vita in the first place is because of Persona 4 Golden, in that it's a sure thing that I'd like it. What makes me pause, however, is the possibility that the Wii U has better games and is going to get better games in the future, whereas I don't even know if there are going to be any more decent games for the PS Vita.
When it comes to sheer potential, there's no competition between the two: Wii U wins. But personally I think it's more important to look at what you can play now. When I have to decide on a new consoles I use the 'ten games rule'. If there aren't ten games available right now that I want to play, I won't get the system (yet). That got me through three generations without too many regrets, so... maybe try that?

Of course, if both systems pass the test you're still going to have to chose... Go with the console that compliments your other systems best, maybe?

Gustavos

Jul 19, 2009
The PS Vita is not a stellar system now, or ever. Though it is still alive and competing with the 3DS, it's not known for having anything on it that you really need. I swear a good chunk of PS Vita owners were made when Persona 4 Golden was released. A game that by all rights should have been released on PS3 as well, but wasn't to boost Vita sales. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but that's my opinion.

Most franchise titles like Uncharted and Playstation all-stars are just watered down versions of their PS3 counterparts, even if the games aren't always ports. Sony has so little faith in its handheld that it will go through entire conferences and conventions for Sony products and never mention the Vita. I get that you don't care for games that aren't RPGs, but that's something most gamers will grow out of once they try more of what's out there. I brought over my wii U to a friend's place and he was almost totally convinced to buy his own after playing Nintendo Land, of all games. A game that becomes infinitely better when you do have people to play with. So, stop wallowing about not playing games with people - Invite them! Friends, family members, anybody. Games are an excellent social medium. If you care about video games at all, then the Wii U is just far more worth your money. If nothing else, the Wii U is supported by its company and will continue to be for at least five more years.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
PS Vita isn't dead, Sony has just changed how they will support it. The future for Vita is indie games and ports of games that also appear on the PS3/PS4. We will not get another Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

That's why I wouldn't recommend it as a primary system. As an additional and portable one, it's definitely good though.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
144 said:
And....? did you just save those for reference or are you post stalking me? I also don't see why either of those statements are relevant or have any effect on my post in this thread. Nintendo is a big company, they don't need you to defend them from me and my evil pointing out that their network system is inferior.
Besides, if you found my opinions offensive why didn't you take issue with it then?

Sep 14, 2009
eh, judging by your preferences, wiiu's bread and butter games won't be of any interest to you, while rpg's and some action games are what the ps vita has going for it.

I don't know what kind of deals you have available to you though, so one or the other could be more appealing depending on what deal you can find on it.

if you're not much of a social person, the ps vita will be good though, easy to take with you wherever you go and play when you want.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
major_chaos said:
144 said:
And....? did you just save those for reference or are you post stalking me? I also don't see why either of those statements are relevant or have any effect on my post in this thread. Nintendo is a big company, they don't need you to defend them from me and my evil pointing out that their network system is inferior.
Besides, if you found my opinions offensive why didn't you take issue with it then?
Right. Of course you don't see how those quotes are relevant. I call it a case of "intentional blinders". You purposely pretend you don't see the point of an argument through semantics, which is actually sufficiently clear. It would be silly to pretend that, if we're discussing the validity of someone's Nintendo-aimed opinions, other Nintendo opinions have no relevance. I won't say further that your opinions are wrong, but if someone is going to take advice from someone going against the grain, it's only fair to make him aware that the guy usually does this. If he agrees with your posts, or disagrees, there's no harm done in giving more clarity to the situation.

And as for posts, it's easy to find a comprehensive history of someone's ideaology in posts through 2 minutes of research. If your posts weren't frequently counter-the-norm in Nintendo cases (especially the MK8 DLC, which other people argues a lot with you over), then this post wouldn't exist.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
The Wii U

As an owner of both a Wii U and a Vita, and loving the hell out of both, Nintendo is just honestly handling the Wii U much better than Sony with the Vita.

Both consoles essentially went through a very bad patch and so far only Nintendo chose to stick with their product and things are working out pretty darn great for them now, there's already a handful of fantastic exclusives out for it and tons more coming. The Vita on the other hand, has...errr... Gravity Rush 2 maybe? Yeah, Sony threw in the towel with it sadly (so far, still clinging on to false hope here) and is leaving it in the hands of Japanese and indie developers now, the latter making some fantastic niche games but lots of them sadly never having much of a chance getting localized from what I've heard and unless playing indie games on a portable is a major dream of yours, you can grab those on another platform you most probably have anyway.

Heck I'm surprisingly enjoying my Wii U tons more than my PS4 which I've had for over a year now and the Wii U only a few weeks, between Hyrule Warriors addictive gameplay, Bayonetta 2 offering one of the best action experiences ever, Wind Waker HD charming my pants off and my backlog of other good ones like W101, Mario World and MonHun waiting to be enjoyed immensely, I'm genuinely feeling that long-lost magic I had with games when I was a kid and I'm loving it. The console itself is also fantastic, the store is charming as all hell, the interface is a delight to use, off-tv play is awesome and I love the fact that it allows me to use my gamepad as a remote for my TV. Its also great having it docked in front of the computer too because I can just easily access the internet through it and search up a guide when I get stuck in a game or something. Also recently set up a media server which is Wii U compatible so I can enjoy some off-TV screen movies now too when I feel like taking a break.

Go for the Wii U, the Vita is great but honestly something only worth grabbing when you find it on a very good special. You can make use of the Wii U's backwards compatibility for now to get your RPG fill with Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower and such until the new Xenoblade or whatever else comes along.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Oh, just remembered! Speaking of Wii RPGs, give Fragile Dreams as shot if you're going to get a Wii U. For me that's really one of the most memorable experiences on the Wii. The premise is that one day the earth's population just quietly died. Now there are only a few humans left alive and you're one of them, a boy named Seto. You wander Tokyo looking for a girl, maybe the only other survivor besides you. It's an action RPG but combat is rather clunky. Fortunately the game is not too difficult and the story and atmosphere more than make up for its shortcomings.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
If you're going to be in front of a TV, get a WiiU. If you're going to be on a train for more hours of the day, get a Vita.

My bumpy bus ride is too distracting for me to enjoy any games requiring precise controls, but I'm loving my WiiU when I get home.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I prefer the Wii U, but these machines aren't really in the same market, one is a conventional console, with an increasingly good range of games out for it, or coming soon, and the Vita is a very good handheld with a pretty huge game library.

If you mainly play games at home where there's a big-screen TV handy, the Wii U has to be better suited, but the main thing is the games library. Look at what both machines have, remembering the Wii U can play Wii games also, and decide based on that