Poll: Which 'Spyro the Dragon' continuity did you like most?

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Talk about a franchise hot-potato, it seems Spyro is one of those video game characters that keeps jumping from company to company with different people making different approaches to the young heroic purple dragon.

So I feel I gotta ask, which Spyro continuity did you like most?

Now, speaking as someone who's only played the original Insomniac trilogy, Spyro was part of my childhood, the cartoony visuals, the awesome platforming gameplay, the great characters, they were all gems to behold. However, I haven't played many of the other games that came after them to form an opinion on them (like Season of Ice or A Hero's Tail).

Now, I don't know if it's okay to form an opinion on a game based to the youtube walkthroughs you've watched, but speaking as someone who's done so with all three Legend of Spyro games, I have to say I liked them too in a way, they took themselves more seriously, I think they were in ways better written, they had this great High Fantasy tone in them, and they also had great characters with great voice actors portraying them.

but I have say, I found the 'Legend of Spyro' Sparx really annoying. I mean, the buzzing Sparx did in Year of The Dragon was also annoying, but at least he only did so in the optional flight levels. But in 'Legend of Spyro', Sparx, whether he was voiced by David Spade or Billy West, hearing him talk made me wish I could take a fly swatter and squash that irritating insect. He got a little bit more tolerable when Wayne Brady voiced him in Dawn of the Dragon, and even then I think it was only because he talked considerably less and didn't act like a douche as often.

As for Skylanders, I never played nor watched any walkthroughs on those games, so I can't really form an option, but to anyone who actually has played the games, how would you compare Skylanders to the other Spyro continuities?

And to everyone who reads this form; what's your favorite of the Spyro continuities?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hardcore Spyro is best Spyro.

I thought everyone knew that.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Zhukov said:
Hardcore Spyro is best Spyro.

I thought everyone knew that.

-image snip-
Skylanders Spyro isn't "hardcore," he looks like a generic How to Train Your Dragon clone devoid of personality and attitude. Spyro is many things, but a bland looking salamander with wings is not one of them.

I'm going to have to go with the Insomniac games, and Year of the Dragon just because I have the most experience with it. I still have a blast swimming through the water levels every now and then--charging through the water is just so much fun! I've played the other PS2 games but they never did recatpure that for me. And that trilogy where Elijah Wood voiced him just sucked. Elijah Wood isn't Spyro, Sparx isn't supposed to speak[footnote]And if he does he shouldn't be a smarmy little shit that sounds like he's been kicked out of every comedy club in existence.[/footnote], and the only monsters that need health bars in a Spyro game are the bosses. Period. The battle style was way too RPG for a Spyro game, and the voice acting was grating.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Yeah, the PS1 Spyro games are my personal favorite. Although I may be a little biased in that regard as I never played the Legend of Spyro games. Although they do seem interesting I'll admit. Especially considering the first three Spyro games were never that big on story.

Also, fuck Season of Ice. That game was just horrendous.

Finally, as for Skylanders Spyro, I've never played those games, but from the looks of things, Spyro seems to have been either phased out or placed on the sidelines due to the massive roster those games have. At least in the second one I think.

I could be wrong though, so please feel free to correct me anyone who has actually played the games.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
I grew up on the Insomniac trilogy (Spyro the Dragon was, in fact, my very first video game), played Season of Fire and... whatever the third GBA game was, and the Legend trilogy.

I've got to say, I prefer the Legend trilogy overall-- rough order being Dawn of the Dragon, Eternal Night, and tie between the original Spyro and New Beginning as favorites. Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon were fun, but... I don't know, I just got kind of tired of more and more non-dragons being included. The Legend series didn't have that issue as much, and it even performed the nigh-impossible task of making Hunter likable. Plus, Spyro finally got permanent flight! It was just a better environment (I'm still in love with the Chronicler's island and Avalar from DotD), better characters, and they were just really fun. Admittedly still pretty cliche in virtually every respect, but done solidly enough that it was the comfortable kind of cliche.

... Sparx was pretty annoying through the games though. I do wish Billy West had stayed in through the third game though, at least it was kind of funny hearing Fry all the time.

Skylanders... I've softened my absolute hatred, and have settled into the same issues I had with the Insomniac games-- too many other characters, not enough Spyro/just plain dragons in general.