Poll: Which will go free-to-play/buy-to-play first: ESO or Wildstar?

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
I'm interested in trying both of these games, but not interested in $60 + sub fees. I feel like most people feel this way about MMOs in this day and age. It seems like unless you're World of Warcraft (and only World of Warcraft) it's only a matter of time before subscribing becomes optional.

Of the two biggest sub-driven MMOs to come out this year, which do you think will drop the buy + subscription model first? Do you think it'll be a good thing? Will you try either or both if they go f2p?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Wildstar. TESO has recovered and, while not hitting any home runs, is doing comfortable business. Being cross platform likely helps them there. Having a stronger IP was no doubt a boon as well.

Wildstar sold poorly and has had disastrous player retention, possibly the worst the genre has seen since Defiance. They also employ a raid-heavy theme park design that puts them squarely in World of Warcraft's wheelhouse, and WoW just launched their newest expansion, so Wildstar is going to be taking it on the chin for a few months yet.

In all honesty there's a risk Carbine gets shuttered completely, nevermind Wildstar going FTP.

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
I would think wildstar serves more niches that justify it being p2p for longer, although it may be more fruitful for it to just go f2p now.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Wildstar. At least ES has the lore and a fanbase behind it. Wildstar is simultaneously trying to create a new IP AND looks like it's aping WoW.

>Will you try either or both if they go f2p?

I rather they lower the sub fee than make it free to play. You can keep justifying the $15 as "not much for a month of entertainment", the problem is I am currently at 30 hours of game time per dollar spent on my library of games. That means I'll need to play 450 hours of ESO per month before I feel like the $15 is worth it.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I would say Elder Scrolls Online. Wildstar at least had a good reputation at launch (despite its numerous issues), while ESO was a notoriously bug-ridden mess.