Poll: Which Would You Rather See In The Future?

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i went for discovering life on another planet because that'll completely ruin every religion and with it all the hate and anger in the world :D

then we can finally become better humans and live happily ever after.

divorce rates would just disappear because the religious coupling wouldn't hold anymore and love birds would just live together without the bullshit baggage. weddings are a waste of money and all that "your stuck with ME FOREVER!!" *points at Religion again because its not realistic * im not against marriage, but i do think its stupid.

thats just my thoughts tho

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
divorce rates being lower does not imply happiness. in fact, divorce rates would currently be higher if it werent for stubbornness. a lot of married couples (especially older ones) dont care much for one another anymore, but remain married because they either feel that they might as well, or that they should.

so... yeah, im gonna go with the one that tells us we are not alone in the universe.

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
I think the insect one is more promising, cos it suggests habitable planets. And if there's other habitable planets to live on, then it means I can indulge in my occasional thoughts of "I Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore", which is nice. Whereas despite the divorce rate falling being kinda nice, it doesn't change my opinion to one where I want to not hop in a rocket. :p

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Asita said:
Broken options.

Proof of insect life on another planet == Life on other planets. Very exciting find, very little wiggle room in interpretation.

Divorce rate plummet == More marriages are happy and don't seek divorce || Legal process for acquiring divorce is rendered harder, thus lowering the divorce rate by virtue of impracticality alone || Social stigma makes divorce less socially acceptable leading to less pursuing it for fear of vilification || Less people get married leading to lower divorce rates by virtue of divorce not being required for a break up...lots of wiggle room, with many of the possibilities involving unsavory methods for the desired result.

And seriously, what on earth spawned this choice between two very disparate thoughts? And why specify 'insect life' instead of the more general 'life' as used in the OP?
Have to commend you for using Mordin as your avatar with a response like that.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
The divorce rate isn't a problem, people getting married too damn early and to people they just don't know well enough yet is the problem. Divorce is not an innately bad thing, two people staying in a fruitless relationship is just detrimental to both of their mental health, and as someone who's firmly of the belief that marriage is now, and indeed always has been, just a thinly veiled method of controlling women, I view the high divorce rate as a sign that the last couple generations are beginning to realize that we've been scammed.

I'll take roaches on Mars any day of the week.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I'm guessing that the divorce rate shrinking would be as a result of better mental health in general, and that state of affairs is much better for us than finding extraterrestrial animals.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Well... obviously life on another planet.

Firstly: I don't care if two people married out of some reason other than love and a mutual dependance.

Secondly: It doesn't neccesarily have to be because people love each other more. It could be because all people who are well versed in divorce cases suddenly have a heart attack, their head exploded, and they prolapse they entire digestive system all at the same time. Which would be something I'd want to see.

i'm not against marriage; it's a sentimental mile stone in many people's lives. I'm against people controlling each other with flimsy sheets of paper that basically say, "you owe me x amount of years of your life". And divorce rates going up would be a good thing, wouldn't it? People who are in love would stay married, and people who were in a loveless, fruitless and sexless marriage could peacefully seperate with much less a stigma and mess than, say, poking out each other's ear drums in their sleep and setting them on fire.

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
Aliens for me. Disproving in my opinion the intensely arrogant idea that we are the only life in the universe is a must for us to really move on as a society. As for divorce rates, I see both sides of it, my mum and dad are happily married and have been so for almost 40 odd years now I think, but my brother has ended an unhappy marriage and just found his soulmate. If divorce was a little easier, who knows if me and my brothers would have been born at the earlier more frustrating stages of my parents relationship BUT if it was harder my bro would still be in a very unhealthy relationship right now, so has to be aliens for me.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Seeing divorce rates plummet in the way you would like, OP, would be changing human nature. Most romantic relationships end for good reason, and healthy lifelong relationships have always been very rare. Fact is, I've only ever heard rumors of such things. Every lifelong relationship I've ever witnessed is very heavy on the sub/dom dynamic (no offense to our BDSM folks, and maybe I'm way off base, but I've only ever seen it happen as the result of trauma... even in my own parents.).

If the divorce rate were to plummet in a healthy fashion without changing human psychology, it would be as a result of marriage rates plummeting... fewer people believing they can be romantically attached to one other person for the rest of their lives when they're young.

As nice as that would be, I think finding life alien to our understanding of it would help it along through the disproving of literalist interpretations of the Abrahamic religions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I honestly don't care about divorce rates. Life on another planet, even if it's bugs, would be huge. This is easy.

Especially since divorce rates are not a metric of happiness, equity in marriage, fair treatment, or even amicable partnership. It would be just a statistic.