Poll: Who are the Masters of the Open World games?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
It's probably unfair of me to do this so soon after Skyrim and so long before Gtav but I just want to get the consensus here:
What company do you think makes the most immersive and/or entertaining open worlds to explore?

After playing San Andreas last generation, R* was my favorite, but now I'm not so sure.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
It's probably unfair of me to do this so soon after Skyrim and so long before Gtav but I just want to get the consensus here:
What company do you think makes the most immersive and/or entertaining open worlds to explore?

After playing San Andreas last generation, R* was my favorite, but now I'm not so sure.
I need some clarification OP, when you mean open world are you referring to the sandbox properties of what you can do in an open world game, or to the amount of details and npc interaction that was put into the general world?

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
TestECull said:
Mojang. Minecraft's worlds are larger than the worlds of all of those games combined.
A tedious point of disagreement (sorry, but I have to): Bethesda's Arena generated and infinite world every time you left a city. So not only was it infinite, it had an infinite world for every location on the map.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
TestECull said:
ResonanceGames said:
TestECull said:
Mojang. Minecraft's worlds are larger than the worlds of all of those games combined.
A tedious point of disagreement (sorry, but I have to): Bethesda's Arena generated and infinite world every time you left a city. So not only was it infinite, it had an infinite world for every location on the map.
And did it literally encompass more surface area than the Earth?
Like I said, each time you leave a town, there is a different infinite world to explore. I wasn't exaggerating, I meant infinite.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
boag said:
GonzoGamer said:

I need some clarification OP, when you mean open world are you referring to the sandbox properties of what you can do in an open world game, or to the amount of details and npc interaction that was put into the general world?
That I leave up to you: whichever of those properties you feel is more important.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Anyone but Bethesda. If I have to hear one more time about how awesome Skyrim and Fallout 3 are I might puke. Bought them both because of hype. Hated them both with a furious passion. They should change the listed genre from "RPG" to "Boredom Simulator".

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
MetallicaRulez0 said:
They should change the listed genre from "RPG" to "Boredom Simulator".
Because you say so? I highly respect your judgement, can we also change the genre of Halo to something that is not FPS, because I didn't personally like it?

OT: Out of the list, I'd say Bethesda. Although I like the Elder Scrolls games, that is not the why I chose them - the question is about open world not how much enjoyable is a game. The GTA series have historically not been that huge, and I haven't played the new ones (post GTA 3) but I doubt they outdid Daggerfall by a lot (correct me if I'm wrong). Same for most of them and Fable is really limiting, for example.

However, I haven't played Just Cause 2, so I may not be completely fair in my judgement.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
I personally think Namco Bandai (Is that how you spell that?) pulled off open world well in Dark Souls. It's not how you might expect open world to work, but it allows exploration will also keeping the story and character leveling fairly linear.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
TestECull said:
And yet that doesn't matter in this discussion. OP asked for biggest open worlds, not which ones hold your attention the longest
What? No he didn't. He said "What company do you think makes the most immersive and/or entertaining open worlds to explore?"

My favorite open world is in Wind Waker. It had a true feeling of adventure and exploration. Second choice would be STALKER Call of Pripyat for all the secret horrors The Zone can hide.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Bethesda. It's nothing to do with Skyrim, I'd have said the same even before it came out, or was even announced. TES games (as well as F3 and FNV, though the latter is not really theirs) have the largest-feeling games (Morrowind in particular, due to lack of fast travel), while offering the very liberating, distinctly open-world gameplay elements that go with it. Everything about the game screams open world and freedom (aside from the locked in dialogues, but even that's been remedied some with Skyrim, though not completely) and unlike the other games on the list like GTA (SA in particular) and JC2, which have huge, possibly bigger worlds (I believe JC2 is one of the largest worlds in gaming, bigger than the TES ones somehow [might not count dungeon sizes in that though]), they're not so much about exploration, which is, for me, the greatest thing about open world games.

Don't get me wrong, other games/studios/franchises aren't too far off. GTA is immensely liberating and the modes of travel are fantastic (particularly SA), some of the same goes for SR2 (I found SR3 underwhelming in that aspect, could be just due to lack of gameplay in it though). Prototype is another good open world game, though it's all about gameplay. JC2 is like if Prototype fucked GTA, you've got all the GTA there, but still got the hook-hand to grab people/choppers/cars with :p