Poll: Who do you blame?

Madcat_87

Mar 20, 2009
Aww why can't I blame everyone.

I blame consumers for buying all the shovelware/movie tie-ins that keep getting released.

I blame the media and developers for over-hypeing every big, unoriginal release that comes out each year while the unknown stuff with great potential gets ignored because it isn't a guarenteed sell.

Actually no I can't really blame developers they're just doing what they love while trying to keep their job.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
Why is it self confessed gamers seem to think they are the major portion of the market for the gaming industry?

There are 2 types of games released, to cater for the players (Halo, Half life, etc etc) and then there are the games directed at the major money spending consumer, the ones who will buy Medal of Honour, CoD (the bad ones), Sonic games and a Wii.

Nobody is going to really make money out of true form gamers, because well we only buy the best, but when you can sell 1 copy of a game to us, where as sell 5 copies to some idiots, who is going to bring in the money?

Fronken

May 10, 2008
It's mostly the consumers fault, as with just about everything else, if people were to stop buying the crap games they pump out, they would have to go with fresh ideas for games so that they could stay in business.

Captain_Caveman

Mar 21, 2009
How about the Publisher.

Game devs have to do what the publisher wants if they want funding.

Thats why independently funded game devs put out creative stuff. And those funded by huge faceless corps put out more of the same.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i blame the developer's most of all they shovel crap out the door and expect us to play it

how ever on the other hand there are the consumers who buy the crap the developer's shovel out the door though i blame us to a lesser extent because we are not in charge of making the games an i like to think that the people who continue to buy the sequels are not idiots but simply misinformed though i may be a bit delusional

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
I split the blame between companies and consumers. People with good taste always seem to be the ones pirating games, so a lot of great games suffer from lackluster sales while shovelware flies off the shelves because the glut of new gamers can't tell the difference. Also people who buy sequels assuming they're better than the original.
They're almost always worse

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Developers for not sticking to what they need to be making, consumers for buying games regardless of shit story (Want proof? Army of two...2...? is coming out in the not too distant future. remember the first one?)

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I think the issue comes from the fact that there are only so many concepts that can be done and eventually we are going to run out completely. I think we're coming up to that time now. Only every now and then does a completely new idea come out.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Baelor said:
I'm curious as to the input of others on this matter. Creativity in games has largely flew out the window. Who do you blame for this, the game developers or the players? Please show your work.

I think the consumers are the ones to blame, why would you risk all that money to try and make something different when they'll buy something you already made if you repaint it.
Creativity has flown out of games?

I don't think it has. Every game is creative, even bad ones.

If there is a lack in creativity in games, the fault lies with the consumers, but they're only acting the way humans act in economic systems.. it's not really their fault they didn't buy up Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil. Those games were pre-destined to be cult classics, just like some movies.

I can't think of a game in recent years that didn't have anything new creatively to bring to the table, or a new creative twist on something older.

Lots of sequels, but even those have new creative elements.

I think your gold shoes are too tight.

CakeEater

Mar 21, 2009
D_987 said:
CakeEater said:
I blame people like EA, although they said they're changing, and the people who buy the same sports-game every year, and stuff like that... Hope i didn't offend anyone.
Thats an incredibly narrow minded-view. I buy either the Pro-Evolution or Fifa game each year. Why?

Because I enjoy football and the game are of a very high quality - I enjoy Lost Odyssey and Kingdom Hearts as much as Gears of War or Fable. - the quality of a game is subjective...
i guess you're right, but sometimes i just don't get it, might be that most people i know that play football games, football games in particular, are just the mainstream pop-kids, aka. i like things that shine. (football/soccer means the same in Denmark)

oh and didn't mean to offend anyone in my previous post. (the quoted one)

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
I think it's more of our fault. Games have universal pricing (59.99 - 69.99 quid in euro zone) and I think that we have not yet realized that if we are willing to pay so much for a non-essential good, amongst which there is a great range to choose from, we have to always consider the best option. If we don't, only we are to blame, and since developers have understood that customers will buy a crappy game or a good game for the same price, they are just ready to make a game that will not satisfy the universal concept of quality, which is meeting the needs and wants of the customer, and sell it for the same price that one which will, thus making the customer the only responisble for considering and controlling quality of the product purchased.