Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I guess i have to go with Bethesda.
They just hold that special place in my heart.
And its right next to my glass claymore.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Lets see here...
Dragon Age - One of the worst games I've ever played.
Mass Effect - Too boring to get into.
Oblivion - Too boring to get into.
Fallout 3 - Amazing.
Star Ocean - Too boring/bad to get into.
Final Fantasy 7, 10, 12 - Great.
Final Fantasy 1, 13 - Decent.
Final Fantasy 8 - Too boring.

I guess I'll go with Square Enix since I can actually play their games without falling asleep. Well, Final Fantasy at least...

GSC Game World is by far the best.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Why is Square Enix up there? They haven't made a good rpg since the late 90s(but then again I haven't played many rpgs from them exception for the Final Fantasy games so a bit of an unfair statement)

OT: Bethesda without any doubts.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
RastaBadger said:
I hate Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general so Square Enix is out. As for the others Bethesda made Morrowind (one of my favourite games of all time), Daggerfall, Oblivion whereas Bioware made Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins and KotOR. Judging from this I'm going to have to go with Bethesda because they don't work for EA.
Damn it! You pulled the EA card - Nice. They do wreck games, poor basterds should just die, but I give em another 10 years atleast (unfortunately), don't go selling your shares yet. I wish EA wouldn't interfere, but somehow they just do, they don't let the creative process be, and they don't let developers just get on with the job, if they did, they'd be richer and better games would be made (leading to more sales, hence richer). I haven't heard Bethesda acquised of this crime yet, however, they did make Star Trek: Legacy (which sucked), so, I'm still going with EA/Bioware.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'm going to kick against the pricks and say Obsidian, because Troika and Looking Glass are no-more.

jpblade666

Dec 23, 2010
Atlus beats all of them, Atlus beats all of them into bloody little giblets and feed then feed the giblets to indie developers.

I voted for Bethesda because I enjoyed their games. Square hasn't done anything I like in a while (personal tastes, don't ***** me out please) and Bioware is awesome but I still prefer Bethesda.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Semitendon said:
Oblivion is the best RPG I've played, with KOTOR being a close, close second. Sadly, while Mass Effect 1 was good, and Dragon Age Origins was decent, the watered down, and linear progressions of both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 decimate any high opinion KOTOR might have brought Bioware.
Yeah because you know, Oblivion wasn't watered down or linear at all.
Compared to ME2 and DA2, you are correct. ME2 was especially horrible, as a large portion of RPG elements were removed altogether.

Your claim is that Oblivion is just as bad. Comparativly, maybe it was, but since I haven't played an RPG that was better, my opinion stands.

Feel free to suggest a modern RPG that was better. Keep in mind that I do not play JRPG's.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Presently Bethesda wins by lack for lack of a better option. Bioware is pretty much an EA puppet at this point and Squeenix seem far more interested in making slightly interactive bad CG movies about angst ridden androgynous twats. Both Bioware and Squeenix anymore are nothing more than examples of everything that's wrong with the gaming industry.

However if you want to look at Bioware's work before becoming just another EA whore then they have probably one of the more impressive bodies of work out there. If you want to go back to the ye olde days of the NES to the early PSX days back when it was just Square, not Squeenix, they were responsible for some of the best games of those times with Final Fantasy FF6, Secret of Mana Chrono Trigger, and later on FF7 and FF Tactics.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Bioware hasn't made an RPG for years. All they make now is sub-par action games. People laud them for their story and characters but I'm honestly not sure if they have a single character that isn't a walking stereotype, especially in the most recent games

Bethesda makes fantastic games, but they are always a little rough around the edges compared to the much more seamless Bioware and Squeenix games.

Squeenix hasn't done any interesting from a gameplay or story perspective for years and years and barely anything from an artistic standpoint. Plus JRPGs aren't really my thing.

Overall, Bethesda is the only one who looks like they might still be able to make games that compare to their old games -- the only developer of the three that isn't in decline, so I choose them.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Having finished KOTOR the other week, I'm going to say Bioware.
That and I absolutely love DA:O.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
BioWare, because both Mass Effects and KotOR, though Bethesda is damned close. Won't get into the reasons why too much, but the Mass Effects pretty much had everything I want in a videogame, and KotOR is KotOR. Bethesda just make open-world games like nobody's business, and I've spent more hours than I care to admit in Tamriel and The Capital Wasteland.

And Square is still being punished for FF13/14 and The Last Remnant. I have no hope for them anymore, and I plan on buying Deus Ex used just so none of my money goes to their pockets. Seriously, the company that made Final fantasy tactics is long dead and buried, and far too busy making Kingdom Hearts spinoffs on handhelds and shitty games that wish they were movies.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Semitendon said:
ChupathingyX said:
Semitendon said:
Oblivion is the best RPG I've played, with KOTOR being a close, close second. Sadly, while Mass Effect 1 was good, and Dragon Age Origins was decent, the watered down, and linear progressions of both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 decimate any high opinion KOTOR might have brought Bioware.
Compared to ME2 and DA2, you are correct. ME2 was especially horrible, as a large portion of RPG elements were removed altogether.

Your claim is that Oblivion is just as bad. Comparativly, maybe it was, but since I haven't played an RPG that was better, my opinion stands.

Feel free to suggest a modern RPG that was better. Keep in mind that I do not play JRPG's.
This is just so funny and unreal, I just have to interrupt here.

Did you know that for enthousiasts with good taste, the question is: which modern RPG is worse still than Oblivion.

It's a short list:
Arcania.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
veloper said:
Semitendon said:
ChupathingyX said:
Semitendon said:

Did you know that for enthousiasts with good taste, the question is: which modern RPG is worse still than Oblivion.

It's a short list:
Arcania.
To be fair, repeatedly getting kicked in face with a spiky boot is better than Arcania.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
My vote goes for Bioware right now, and oddly enough they're the developper whose games I've gotten into last.

Bethedsa does create some very interesting concepts, and their open-world RPG design is very fun in its own way... alas, I'm more interested in good storytellings. Oblivion has provided a ton of entertainment over the past few years, but it has largely been done as a diversion and/or to satisfy my desire to do some random exploring; and maybe the fun of trying out the many various mods. I'll definitely be getting (and enjoying) Skyrim, but it's looking like I'll be treating it as something similar to Oblivion - a fun diversion, but one which lacks a strong storyline to drive it. I haven't really bothered with the Fallout games (not interested in the setting), and I've played barely any of Morrowind as well (tried Oblivion first, and while Morrowind supposedly does thing better... it's rather inaccessible in comparison and doesn't manage to hold my interest long enough).

As I had noted, I enjoy good stories in my games; so Square Enix should be the obvious choice, right? JRPGs may be overly linear, but still have some of the best stories in gaming... unfortuantely, Square Enix hasn't been doing well the past several years. To be perfectly honest, the slip began roughly around when Squaresoft and Enix merged to become the current company; there were a few good games in the first few years after that, but afterwards it's been rather underwhelming. Looking back at the classics Squaresoft created, those are some of my favourite games of all time. Heck, I've only recently gotten around to trying Xenogears (I picked up a PS1 copy of the game years ago, it's been sitting around simply because I've been playing more modern games instead) and I'm greatly enjoying it. However, looking at their more recent installments hasn't been so good; just about all the Final Fantasy titles after FFX hasn't managed to hold my interest for very long. Square Enix appears to be trying to re-invent the series (repeatedly) to better fit into the modern era, but it just isn't working; the storylines are also lacking the charm of the older titles. There's so much potential in Square, but they just can't seem to get it right (for me, at least).

And finally, we have Bioware. Perhaps it's my misfortune to have missed out on all of their older and supposedly "better" games, but I'm finding that their recent titles have been outstanding (though I won't deny that DA2 was a disappointment). The Mass Effect series is a damned-near perfect blend of great (action-oriented) gameplay and outstanding storytelling; and it presents a great deal of choice about the storyline as well, not just concerning character progression. Dragon Age: Origins is another title I found to be outstanding, with yet another great storyline that you can affect a great deal. Even if Bioware's games all seem to follow a tried-and-true formula, it's done well enough that the only people who give a damn are those who are trying to come off as smart by being a critic that completely ignores the merits of a product for silly reasons.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Bethesda is never going to win on the Escapist forums. A poll at Kotaku or Destructoid would probably be different.

Bioware is still great, in its own right.

I voted Bethesda.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
veloper said:
Semitendon said:
ChupathingyX said:
Semitendon said:

It's a short list:
Arcania.
To be fair, repeatedly getting kicked in face with a spiky boot is better than Arcania.
Yes it is.
Score -1 for Oblivion then?