Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Guillermo Gonzalez said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lets see here...
Dragon Age - One of the worst games I've ever played.
Mass Effect - Too boring to get into.
Oblivion - Too boring to get into.
Fallout 3 - Amazing.
Star Ocean - Too boring/bad to get into.
Final Fantasy 7, 10, 12 - Great.
Final Fantasy 1, 13 - Decent.
Final Fantasy 8 - Too boring.

I guess I'll go with Square Enix since I can actually play their games without falling asleep. Well, Final Fantasy at least...

GSC Game World is by far the best.
You consider Mass Effect and Dragon Age bad, while you consider Final Fantasy great/decent...
wow, i need to lay down.
JamesStone said:
Guillermo Gonzalez said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lets see here...
Fallout 3 - Amazing.

I guess I'll go with Square Enix since I can actually play their games without falling asleep. Well, Final Fantasy at least...

You consider Mass Effect and Dragon Age bad, while you consider Final Fantasy great/decent...
wow, i need to lay down.
Lay down? Dude, this guy needs to go to the hospital. I think is brain is starting to rot.
There's nothing wrong with the list, Square games were always much more fun than Bioware games, even if they weren't as deep.

Bojinglez

Feb 13, 2010
I haven't played any bioware games besides mass effect 1 and 2, and the dragon age 2 demo. As far as i see it mass effect is more of a 3rd person shooter than anything, and from the short amount of time i played dragon age 2 it was just like an action game. I love morrowind, oblivion, and fallout, but at the same time they're almost action games as well, you don't even need to really think when you play them. I'll go with square enix even though most of their stuff is garbage now. Square soft on the other hand made some good games.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Guillermo Gonzalez said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lets see here...
Fallout 3 - Amazing.

wow, i need to lay down.
You have to go lay down because someone has a different opinion then you? Wow...

Dragon Age was just... well... if I wanted to read a book, I would have. Way too much dialog and too little "combat". Turned based combat was more engaging than the "combat" from Dragon Age was. In Dragon Age, you click on someone, wait for them to die, then click on someone else. Well, sometimes you don't even have to click on someone else. Only time I've seen something worse was when I set Final Fantasy XII up to fight for me. And at least in FFXII you could program what the AI you weren't play as would do, to an extent. To suffer through that game I literally had to turn invincibility on and watch TV (good thing it was the weekend the X-Games were on). Mass Effect was started to be the same way with the erm... maybe hour I played of it?

Maybe some people like dialog, combat that is not at all engaging or fun, and what I considered to be a rather bland story, but it isn't my thing... Thought that'd be pretty obvious considering I mentioned FPSRPGs to be the best.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Morrowind is my fav RPG of all time.

....But I pick Bioware. Because all of their games are great.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
SQUARE ENIX.

SQUARE ENIX.

SQUARE ENIX.

Seriously, WRPGs are not and never will be as good as JRPGs. /rant

*ultimate flame shield*

~Tom</3

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
You left out alot of options like Obsidian, Atlus and many other smaller rpg devs

OT: From the 3 i got to choose bioware because KOTOR was the first rpg i got invested in

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
Ask me which of these makes the best games, and we might have a discussion on our hands.

Ask me which makes the best RPGs, that's easy. Only one of the three make RPGs, in my opinion. Square Enix' games are RPGs in the same way Modern Warfare 2 is an RPG. Bethesda is a little better, but still offer practically no actual role play in their games; frankly, Oblivion is essentially a sandbox game like GTA, and suits that classification better. Sure, it has stats that you level up, but that's really not the meat of that game, the exploration aspects is. Let's keep in mind that "Role playing game" doesn't mean "has numbers in it and stuff".

Now, are the games I classify as RPGs (of which BioWare's games qualify) better games than anything else? That'd be impossible to answer with any credibility.

My big question is, where is Obsidian in the poll? I have a soft spot for them, and that's why I'd like to vote for.

penguindude42 said:
SQUARE ENIX.

SQUARE ENIX.

SQUARE ENIX.

Seriously, WRPGs are not and never will be as good as JRPGs. /rant

*ultimate flame shield*

~Tom</3
No flames here, but I hope you realize that's pretty much only a matter of personal taste! I for one could say the exact opposite (I wouldn't, as I realize a lot of people enjoy JRPGs more, seeming to indicate that even though I don't like them much, there's something to like). Still, you're welcome to your opinion. My only beef is that we call them JRPGs, as if there's actually a shred of role playing going on in them!

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
I hated the only FF game I ever played with a burning passion.
I didn't like Mass Effect, or DA: Origins.
I loved Oblivion and Fallout 3, and I didn't mind New Vegas.
Bethesda gets my vote

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
I grew up playing squaresoft games like FF adventure, FF IV,VII, VIII, IX, X Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross along with Kingdom hearts, and it seems since X square has lost their touch since merging into Square-Enix, since after FFX all others blew cock. I haven't tried and Beth games but since I started playing Bioware games, I cant help but feel that bioware is the winner when it comes to the current generation of games, they allow you to stear the game the way you want to with choices, relationships and other good RPG elements that the square games are now lacking. In a nutshell square better start listening to its fans or go bankrupt, Beth seems to be up there too(not that Ive played their games) Bioware though drew me in with KOTOR, Mass Effect, and dragon age.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Story and characters are what I look for most in an RPG, so Bioware gets my vote easily. KotOR, Jade Empire, DA:O, and my personal favorites being the Mass Effect series makes it so they win hands down. Square comes in close second though cause I've yet to find a Final Fantasy game I didn't like, or at least out of the main series and the tactics series anyway.

SinorKirby

May 1, 2009
Ultimately, Square makes JRPGs which are a different genre from RPGs like the Elder Scrolls series, and Bioware makes third-person shooters and action games which have light RPG elements.

So the only RPG developer you listed would be Bethesda, which makes them the best RPG developer.

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
NickCaligo42 said:
Origin Systems. You know, the company that all three of these groups have been copying?
Really...? REALLY...?

They're not copying Origin, sorry man, but they're not.