Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
I've been trying to figure out what it is about Bethesda RPGs that just don't work with me...I've tried fallout 3 and Oblivion and I really want to try skyrim but I have never finished a Bethesda game.

I think it's to do with mind set, Bioware is kinda of a "hey come be the protagonist of this epic tale in a great world we have created" where as Bethesda is more "come and explore this amazing world we have made oh and if you fancy it there is an over-arching plot but it's not that important"

Personally I prefer having a goal than just wondering, they are both great at what they do but Bioware gets my vote.

As for square, i don't have an opinion

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Stalydan said:
Wayneguard said:
I love the Elder Scrolls universe. Morrowind was my first high fantasy RPG and I've been a huge fan ever since. My vote is for Bethesda.
Quick question, will you be buying the Skyrim Collector's Edition? Or do you think the price is too high?
I'll be buying it day 1 for sure but not for $150.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Defense said:
JamesStone said:
Soooooo, you think that Final Fantasy can´t put someone to sleep? Even 7 had the falling asleep label, and seriously 13, decent? That wasn´t a game that was a interactive film.
I never said that, but most WRPGs I played have boring combat. It's either D&D hacky slashy team based combat or a crappy cover based third person shooter.

And yes, 13 was decent as a game. It's just slightly more linear than Mass Effect 2, if only because about 5% of choices in Mass Effect 2 actually matter. The only difference is that it makes sense in Final Fantasy 13. Mass Effect 2 is corridor TPS with chest high walls everywhere, by coincidence.
But FF13 is the best example of boring combat. I still can´t understand how people can survive those 20 hours that take to the game be good. Not just for the combat, I don´t mind a game when you don´t kill anyone, if the history is good and we can do bloody something. In FF13 we get to walk a reaaaaaaaaally linear corridor, with fights occuring in an alternative universe, and FF13 story isn´t good. It is just goddam confusing, it doesn´t give me any reason to like the characters and the capital sin: it doesn´t stack with gameplay. Most of the people who play FF13 understand the story by reading the text logs, and people who didn´t only understand probably because they already played other FF games after 7 and know in what kind of shit they are getting into. Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, had really important decisions, and it is good to remind that most of the decisions won´t be felt in the game itself, but on 3, so you always get the felling that you are building something epic, and the ME2 combat did enough variation to be fun. You only play classic TPS if you want (i.e. choose the soldier class).

Bajinga

Jun 11, 2011
Well this is easy:
-I hate Square Enix

-I have yet to play a Bethesda game

-I love Dragon Age: Origins

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
JamesStone said:
Defense said:
JamesStone said:
Soooooo, you think that Final Fantasy can´t put someone to sleep? Even 7 had the falling asleep label, and seriously 13, decent? That wasn´t a game that was a interactive film.
I never said that, but most WRPGs I played have boring combat. It's either D&D hacky slashy team based combat or a crappy cover based third person shooter.

And yes, 13 was decent as a game. It's just slightly more linear than Mass Effect 2, if only because about 5% of choices in Mass Effect 2 actually matter. The only difference is that it makes sense in Final Fantasy 13. Mass Effect 2 is corridor TPS with chest high walls everywhere, by coincidence.
But FF13 is the best example of boring combat. I still can´t understand how people can survive those 20 hours that take to the game be good. Not just for the combat, I don´t mind a game when you don´t kill anyone, if the history is good and we can do bloody something. In FF13 we get to walk a reaaaaaaaaally linear corridor, with fights occuring in an alternative universe, and FF13 story isn´t good. It is just goddam confusing, it doesn´t give me any reason to like the characters and the capital sin: it doesn´t stack with gameplay. Most of the people who play FF13 understand the story by reading the text logs, and people who didn´t only understand probably because they already played other FF games after 7 and know in what kind of shit they are getting into. Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, had really important decisions, and it is good to remind that most of the decisions won´t be felt in the game itself, but on 3, so you always get the felling that you are building something epic, and the ME2 combat did enough variation to be fun. You only play classic TPS if you want (i.e. choose the soldier class).
Nice opinions bro.

Also, a summary of Mass Effect choices:

X happens!
|-Be a tool\
|-Be bland-----------B happens regardless of your choice!
|-Be a dick/

With a few exceptions of course.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Bioware makes the best RPG from a story and character perspective IMO while Bethesda makes awesome sandbox RPG which allow the player to make their own story.

I don't think I've played a Square Enix game as FF seems so blagh to me.