Poll: Who has the harder overall end goal? Commander Shepard or Gordan Freeman?

Timaithis

Apr 15, 2008
So I was watching my two favorite Miracle of Sound songs Gorand Freeman saved my life and Commander Shepard. And I was thinking out of the two of them who has the harder time of it objectively. Not just who has the more powerful enemies but also who has the the less resources to accomplish it, their internal resources, their allies, the technology they have, etc. I find it interesting cause they are my two favorite protagonist and they represent two completely different ways of letting you self insert. And I am at a loss by myself to objectively figure out who has the harder time of it. Personally I am leaning towards Gordan Freeman possibly cause his universe seems more bleak. So if you could help me out vote and give your reasoning.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
Timaithis said:
Not just who has the more powerful enemies but also who has the the less resources to accomplish it, their internal resources, their allies, the technology hey have, etc.
Based on that Criteria I'd cast my vote for Gordon, Not only is he not a trained soldier/mercenary. He very rarely has any allies or extra resources to accomplish his goal. He was a scientist who picked up a crowbar and fought for his life.

Commander shepherd was a high-ranking officer in the human military and had a galaxy of aliens/technology and weapons to help him defeat the reapers. plus he always had at least 2 allies with him to help him out.

Commander shepherd faced the bigger threat, however Gordon Freeman was the more unlikely hero.

Timaithis

Apr 15, 2008
That makes a lot of sense. And was what I was leaning towards. However Gordan Freeman is fighting from a guerilla warfare prespective and I have always thought of that as a slightly easier proposition from a logistic standpoint you don't have to worry as much about defending civlians etc, setting up and defending supply lines, manufacturing weapons and equipment since you can just steal all that stuff from the enemy. You can just slowly wear the enemy down on your own terms rather than being forced to go toe to toe with them. Though not sure if that makes that much of a difference overall.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Gordon is fighting a gurellia war against an enemy with seeming unlimited resources. We don't know how strong the Combine is, we don't know how big they are, we don't even know what their aims and goals they have. Gordon has some cool weapons, like the Gravity Gun, Dog, etc.

But the G-Man is seemingly omnipotent and I suppose Shepard had nothing like that.

Also the Reapers aren't miltidimensional. The Combine are. Earth held out against the Reapers for months. Earth held out against the Combine for like...7 hours?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Timaithis said:
That makes a lot of sense. And was what I was leaning towards. However Gordan Freeman is fighting from a guerilla warfare prespective and I have always thought of that as a slightly easier proposition from a logistic standpoint you don't have to worry as much about defending civlians etc, setting up and defending supply lines, manufacturing weapons and equipment since you can just steal all that stuff from the enemy. You can just slowly wear the enemy down on your own terms rather than being forced to go toe to toe with them. Though not sure if that makes that much of a difference overall.
Well, that depends on a variety of factors (how popular the guerillas are with the locals, how secure enemy supply lines are, whether the enemy resorts to reprisals against civilians or not, spies and informants, etc.). Even successful resistance movements often have to overcome long odds and frightful losses before prevailing.

While Gordon has to rely on whatever he can scrounge from the Combine, Shepard has the resources of a galactic military behind him/her. Also, Shepard is a trained soldier, whereas Gordon is more of an "everyman" suddenly thrust into a number of life-or-death scenarios.

It's also worth noting that Shepard never had to worry about inane jump puzzles with insta-death consequences.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Freeman. He's one man and a rebel force compared to the combine who can take a planet in 7 hours. Shepard rallies the whole galaxy to fight the reapers.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Lets see a theoretical physicist in a hazmat suit VS a evil multi-demensional, multi universal alien empire that rules over possibly thousands of worlds.

Or

A highly trained military operative with the forces of several alien races at his back against a race of machines that don't even rule one dimension.

Im going with Freeman having the harder job.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Timaithis said:
So if you could help me out vote and give your reasoning.
Honestly, I haven't played much Half-Life. I have played all three ME games, though, and Shepard arguably failed to save galactic civilization from the Reapers--hell, he/she essentially gave up in the end. As far as I know, Freeman hasn't done that. So his odds are better, if only because he hasn't forfeited yet.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Freeman has zero expectations on him. Everyone is sitting around waiting for Shepard to save the Galaxy. I voted Shepard.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Good poll, I had to think about it quite a bit.

Shepard has to get in and work hard at politics, but he/she has the backing of powerful allies.

Gordon Freeman has people rally to his cause without question, but they end up dying pretty fast.

Nothing in HL2 seems to be as powerful as the Reapers, but then again the Combine force that took earth was a rather small expeditionary force and we have yet to see how big or even what the main Combine army is.

SajuukKhar said:
Lets see a theoretical physicist in a hazmat suit VS a evil multi-demensional, multi universal alien empire that rules over possibly thousands of worlds.

Or

A highly trained military operative with the forces of several alien races at his back against a race of machines that don't even rule one dimension.

Im going with Freeman having the harder job.
This is why in the end I chose Freeman. Shepard comes trained and prepared, Freeman is thrown into the situation against his will.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
GethBall said:
I havent played Half-Life before, but aren't the Combine just a bunch of evil dudes in hockey masks?
No, they really arent. Without really going into it. Those your describing are the cheap knock off attempt to establish a local militia the Combine can use while they figure out how to integrate humanity into their technology.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Shepard faced more powerful enemies but was definitely better equipped.

Gordon faced weaker enemies but was significantly less equipped in both technology, allies, and amount of preparation time.

Jan 13, 2012
kingcom said:
GethBall said:
I havent played Half-Life before, but aren't the Combine just a bunch of evil dudes in hockey masks?
No, they really arent. Without really going into it. Those your describing are the cheap knock off attempt to establish a local militia the Combine can use while they figure out how to integrate humanity into their technology.
Well, what are they then? When I look up Combine on google images it just has those gas masked guys (really cool looking btw). Have they actually shown them in the game. Gaaah... this is really making me interested in half-life.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
kingcom said:
GethBall said:
The highest ranking known Combine race are giant telepathic worms, and Valve has hinted that even they may not be the true master race of The Combine.

The Combine are actually kinda scary, when you think about how powerful they must be.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
kingcom said:
GethBall said:
The highest ranking known Combine race are giant telepathic worms, and Valve has hinted that even they may not be the true master race of The Combine.

The Combine are actually kinda scary, when you think about how powerful they must be.
The Combine rule multiple dimensions. They aren't massive space squids but they do have interdimensional forces and enslave an unknown (possibly massive) amount of dimensions.

Just imagine Reaper sized Striders though. Oh shiii-----

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
endtherapture said:
The Combine rule multiple dimensions. They aren't massive space squids but they do have interdimensional forces and enslave an unknown (possibly massive) amount of dimensions.

Just imagine Reaper sized Striders though. Oh shiii-----
Whats scary to think is that in a way The Combine are MORE advanced then the Reapers.

They are so far evolved they don't need spaceships, they can just Teleport their asses almost anywhere.

Also The Reapers were assaulting Earth for weeks, The Combine systematically beat the combined forces of all of Earth's nations, and forced a surrender, in 7 FUCKING HOURS.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Shep, my vote goes with Shep.

Not only is he up against the Reapers but he has to contend with EA.

No video game character should ever have to go up against the evil of EA.