Poll: Who is Link's most annoying "Helper"?

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I think the question is fairly self-explanatory. Over the years Link has been stuck with quite a few "helpers" in his various games, usually they're there to provide exposition and tutorials but their special brand of "help" is more often than not less than appreciated by the player than it might be.

I'll give a little rundown of the helpers that have plagued Link in games prior, just in case you need some reminding (Also if the poll get's eaten these are the choices):

Navi (Ocarina of Time): Summoned by the Great Deku Tree to accompany Link on his quest to save Hyrule, Navi is the first of Link's many helper fairies throughout the series and certainly the most famous. Navi is known for one thing above all else: her cries of "Hey! Listen!" like a naggy clinging spouse as she bothers the player as they are trying to explore and do sidequests with "hints" to try and railroad the player back into getting to the main story. She takes a lot of flack on the internet for her constant nagging but does have some defenders and she's the reason Link can do Z-Targeting.

Tatl (Majora's Mask): Like a sightly more snarky and less annoying Navi. They're basically the same except Tatl is a bit more blunt. Still yells out "Hey!" and "Look!" in the same voice though. Unlike Navi though she dose not communicate by yelling out "Hey!" or "Listen!" but rather by making a little ringing sound to get your attention. (Thank you to xptn40S for pointing this out to me)

Ezlo (Minish Cap): The first one to break the pattern by not being a fairy or a woman (in fact Ezlo is the only one of Link's helpers who is male), instead Ezlo takes the form of Link's hat.
hat. He gives you the power to shrink and is known for being a smartass and occasionally making comments at Link's expense. Also until Skyward Sword came out Ezlo was the one who gave Link his hat, thus giving the hat it's origin story.

Midna (Twilight Princess): Probably the most divisive helper in the list Midna is known for her intriguing backstory, good character development, and being a total ass to Link for a good portion of the game. Link often takes a good deal of (fairly harsh) taunting and mockery from Midna and she openly treats him as a slave early in the game. On the other hand she does develop a some affection for Link (whether or not it's romantic affection I won't get into here) and experiences genuine character growth over the course of the game. Most people I know love her, but I've known of at least a few who can't stand her, let's see what the Escapist thinks.

Ciela (Phantom Hourglass): Yet another carbon copy of Navi down to having the same voice clips, not nearly as famous though. Not much to say about her really.

Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks): So in Spirit Tracks Zelda gets her spirit knocked out of her body and follows Link around. Her special ability is being able to posses Phantom Knights in the game's main dungeon and help Link complete puzzles. Less of "tutorial fairy" than the other
helpers.

Fi (Skyward Sword): If there were ever a character that could take the title of "most annoying" away from Navi it would be Fi. The spirit of the Skyward Sword, Fi acts as a to guide Link on his journey by giving long rambley monologues and interrupting him during gameplay with her robotic monotone voice (yeah, despite being an ancient sword spirit she's also apparently a robot). Some of her tips are genuinely helpful others... not so much. She has a tendency to put random statistics in her hints: "There is an 80% chance that the MacGuffin we're looking for is in this area." She's also known for breaking into spontaneous dance as she delivers exposition after you find the game's MacGuffins and for singing along as Link plays the harp. (Also does anyone else think that her face looks terrifying as she sings? With her head tilted back and her mouth wide open in what appears to be a scream as her eyes show no emotion.) On the other hand it's nice to have a woman calling me Master...

So, the question is: in the Legend of Zelda series who do you think is Link's most annoying partner/ helper/ companion thing? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
New Frontiersman said:
Navi (Ocarina of Time): Summoned by the Great Deku Tree to accompany Link on his quest to save Hyrule, Navi is the first of Link's many helper fairies throughout the series and certainly the most famous. Navi is known for one thing above all else: her cries of "Hey! Listen!" like a naggy clinging spouse as she bothers the player as they are trying to explore and do sidequests with "hints" to try and railroad the player back into getting to the main story. She takes a lot of flack on the internet for her constant nagging but does have some defenders and she's the reason Link can do Z-Targeting.

Fi (Skyward Sword): If there were ever a character that could take the title of "most annoying" away from Navi it would be Fi. The spirit of the Skyward Sword, Fi acts as a to guide Link on his journey by giving long rambley monologues and interrupting him during gameplay with her robotic monotone voice (yeah, despite being an ancient sword spirit she's also apparently a robot). Some of her tips are genuinely helpful others... not so much. She has a tendency to put random statistics in her hints: "There is an 80% chance that the MacGuffin we're looking for is in this area." She's also known for breaking into spontaneous dance as she delivers exposition after you find the game's MacGuffins and for singing along as Link plays the harp. (Also does anyone else think that her face looks terrifying as she sings? With her head tilted back and her mouth wide open in what appears to be a scream as her eyes show no emotion.) On the other hand it's nice to have a woman calling me Master...
You pretty much answered your own question. Navi is notorious as the most annoying of Link's sidekicks, but if anyone could take the title from her, it would be Fi. The sad part is, I don't think it was intended for Fi to be annoying, she just... is. Navi at least can blame technological growing pains.

Fi is a close second, but I'm still voting Navi, because she's Navi and inspires images like this...

Although these days "Hey Listen!" is my text alert tone, and it still strikes fear into the hearts of all Zelda enthusiasts that hear it.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I'd have to go with Fi on this one. Navi's annoying, yes, but most of the time what she says is actually vital. It's more the "Hey, listen!" sound that's annoying rather than her. Fi, on the other hand, interrupts just as much as Navi but most of the time it's useless banter or constant reminders of shit we already know.

Dorkly sums it up pretty nice.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Definitely Fi. I never actually found Navi's "Hey, listen!" as annoying as many people seemed to find it, maybe in part due to me playing Ocarina of Time through with a friend.

But Fi, by god, is annoying.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Navi's incessant whining never really got to me at the time. . .if anything issues with targeting made me yell at the television more. Now I look back at it with a fond sort of nostalgia, and I like all the art/navi rave clips that have come from it. <3 Navi. You'll always be my facepalm favorite.

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
New Frontiersman said:
Tatl (Majora's Mask): Like a sightly more snarky and less annoying Navi. They're basically the same except Tatl is a bit more blunt. Still yells out "Hey!" and "Look!" in the same voice though.
No she didn't, Tatl made a ringing noise, which was way better than what Navi did. :/

But anyway, I picked Fi because of the fact that she feels the need to tell you where to go right after someone has told you where to go (and some other things).

There's being the kind of helper who constantly wants to remind you where to go now and then and then there's...Fi.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Honestly, I never found Navi to be annoying. She only seemed to talk to you when you seemed lost (which was not very often) and she'd through you right back on track. Not to mention she made targeting a hell of a lot easier.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I'm gonna vote Fi. I never got the Navi hate. I mean, it's been a while since I played it, but I don't recall ever finding her that intrusive. Maybe that'll change if I played again. But Fi's demeanour really irked me.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Sorry, Tatl. She was Navi with a condescending and annoying attitude. Half the time she was like "It's an X, uhh, kill it".

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Midna is the best, Fi is the worst. Fi just has too many moments that could be prefaced with her saying, "OK, now I know you're keenly aware of whats going on or maybe you'd at least like to figure it out. But there are a lot of stupid and lazy people playing this game, so I'm just going to spell it all out right here and now."

I never disliked Navi, though. I didn't know people hated her until...I dunno, I started getting on video game forums or something.

TheLastTatlFan

May 12, 2011
Tatl's my favorite (You're shocked, I'm sure.) and I suppose I like Ghost Zelda the least. To me, Zelda's always felt either irrelevant or forced on me. Skyward Sword and Spirit tracks are examples of the latter. They're also my least-favorite Zelda games.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i haven't personally experienced most of those, but from what i do know, i'll have to go with the owl from link's awakening. first the dude wouldn't shut up, his ramblings were long and unskippable, and worst of all, he'd always ask you if you wanted to hear it again and it would DEFAULT TO YES. god knows how many times i would be trying to scroll through his text just to accidentally tell him to do it again. ugh.

Kaijudomage

May 28, 2009
Clearly not enough of you people have played Minish Cap, Ezlo is far worse than Fi, who in my opinion, was tolerable.

Here is my case for Elzo, he never stops talking....

To the point of driving the person who is playing up the wall.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
While I'm inclined to select Fi, I have to point out a few things about her annoyance that seem a bit odd.

Everything from her monotone, robotic voice, use of statistical values (percentages), and constant interruptions and barrage of useless info seems almost programmed to her character. While Navi is organically annoying, Fi's annoyance is forcefully unnatural. It seems that Fi's existence stems from trying to one-up Navi by skipping the garnish and going straight into the "I'm annoying! Deal with it!" main course.

Navi is also the reason for the existence of loud and occasional annoying Zelda companions. That and that alone make her the most annoying character; without her, the others would surely not come into existence.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
They have all been annoying. Though I have a special hated for the Minnish Cap. Not really an companion but that bloody hat would not shut up when I just wanted to play.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Obviously the most annoying helper is the player.
Since the player is the only real helper.
The player even has to help with walking. And slashing swords. And well, everything.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
xptn40S said:
New Frontiersman said:
Tatl (Majora's Mask): Like a sightly more snarky and less annoying Navi. They're basically the same except Tatl is a bit more blunt. Still yells out "Hey!" and "Look!" in the same voice though.
No she didn't, Tatl made a ringing noise, which was way better than what Navi did. :/
Ah, you are correct. Thank you good sir, I'll need to do better research next time. I will correct that posthaste.

Again, thank you.