Poll: Who WEARS wrist watches anymore?

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
GeorgW said:
Um, I wear one. An analog Swatch. But it's colourful to accentuate my childish side. I know a hell of a lot of people that do. And those that don't are constantly asking us that do what time it is.
It's the quickest way to tell time.
It looks good (it is technically jewlery).
It can have a lot of other funtions than to tell time.
I'm used to it, it would feel weird not to wear one.

OP, are you serious?? How can you not wear a watch, I've never understood that. I'm not trying to question your opinion, I'm just curious.
Well, I don't need one to tell the time. I have either my smart phone, computer, or whatever else for that.

Beyond that, I'm not really into wearing Jewelry much.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Zechnophobe said:
Well, I don't need one to tell the time. I have either my smart phone, computer, or whatever else for that.
I still don't get the reasoning for the excuse "I don't need a watch, I just use my phone to tell time." I don't care who you are, having the ability to simply glance at your wrist to tell the time is much better and more convenient than digging in your pockets for your phone.

I mean think about it. With a watch, one twist of the wrist and you know what time it is. With a phone, you have to fumble around in your pocket to get a grip on the thing, pull the phone out, press the button to pull it out of sleep mode, and only then do you know what time it is. If all that crap is "more convenient", then I really have to doubt modern society's definition of "convenient".

(Using your computer's clock to tell the time while you are using said computer I do understand, though.)

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Skywolf09 said:
Zechnophobe said:
I still don't get the reasoning for the excuse "I don't need a watch, I just use my phone to tell time." I don't care who you are, having the ability to simply glance at your wrist to tell the time is much better and more convenient than digging in your pockets for your phone.

I mean think about it. With a watch, one twist of the wrist and you know what time it is. With a phone, you have to fumble around in your pocket to get a grip on the thing, pull the phone out, press the button to pull it out of sleep mode, and only then do you know what time it is. If all that crap is "more convenient", then I really have to doubt modern society's definition of "convenient".

(Using your computer's clock to tell the time while you are using said computer I do understand, though.)
That isn't the point. The point is that I have a smart phone either way. Investing and wearing some other device that does something I can already do doesn't make sense.

Even more, the utility of knowing what time it is, is a pretty minor thing. For those times when I'm not near a computer, clock, or other publicly displayed time telling device, I generally know pretty well what time it is. Maybe I need to know when to return for lunch each day? The added benefit of the watch over the phone is so very, very slight. And once again, I have the phone either way.

To push even further, I would say that the forecast, for example, for the next few days(or hours!) is generally more useful to know than the time. I can Also get that info on my phone. But do you see me lugging around some device that only gets that? Nope.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
GeorgW said:
Um, I wear one. An analog Swatch. But it's colourful to accentuate my childish side. I know a hell of a lot of people that do. And those that don't are constantly asking us that do what time it is.
It's the quickest way to tell time.
It looks good (it is technically jewlery).
It can have a lot of other funtions than to tell time.
I'm used to it, it would feel weird not to wear one.

OP, are you serious?? How can you not wear a watch, I've never understood that. I'm not trying to question your opinion, I'm just curious.

Beyond that, I'm not really into wearing Jewelry much.
But you have to pick up your phone and you can't always be in front of a computer. You can always just turn your wrist around.

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
Na I'ma pocket watch guy, my jacket has headphone cable band that holds the chain perfectly then i put it in breast pocket on the other side. What?! it looks good on me, its a good conversation piece too... coolest ticking sound as well, pain in the ass to wind every 4 or 5 hours then resetting it in the morning but at least it's a habit now.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
cellphones... inconvienence in a phone.

I like watches, espicially if they have a laser emmiter you can murder people with! like james bonds!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I wear my wrist watch occasionally when I wear my suit, but it's only because my watch (I'm not kidding) cost me $300+.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I've always found them uncomfortable anyway. I haven't worn one since 1996 when I began regularly carrying a phone.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
Conclusion: Old people are the only ones who wear wrist watches.
Oh, well, thanks a lot, I guess I'm old.
Have you ever thought that some of us don't want to whip out our phones to check the time, sometimes, we just want to check it with a flip of the wrist? Or maybe we have jobs that require a watch which also indicates the seconds, and it's way simpler to just use your watch instead of taking out your phone and going into the clock application in order to find the stopwatch section.
So yeah, sometimes a wrist watch is more practical.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
There is a pretty good TED talk that says something about this, but I cant find it right now.

I dont wear it anymore, not since I got a cellphone I think.

Stocky37

Nov 15, 2009
I can't NOT wear my watch. If I ever forget it I'm constantly looking at my wrist wishing I knew what the time was. At least until I realise I still have my phone, but by then I don't usually care anymore.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Umm where's the poll?

I absoloutley still wear a watch, I don't want to be fiddling around with phones or whatever else I have that has the time.

I love my watch, I feel naked without.

Radiantskys

Mar 30, 2011
I would wear a wrist watch if I had one, always knowing the time without having to pull out my cell phone...awesome.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
I like watches, they're classy and there is something behind the idea of watches. I don't know if its the machinery or the concept or what. Also I wear three at once if I want to make people question their basis for reality.