Poll: who's best as the joker?

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Little bit hard, that one.

Especially since the jokers that each actor played was a completely different era. I'm not really sure you can describe one of them as better than another.

Cesar Romero did great as a Silver/Golden Age comic interpretation, Nicholson was a legend in his performance drawing inspiration from the joker's portrayal during the 80s, and Ledger used the more contemporary late 90s early 00s joker.

Ledger was probably the weakest of the them all for me, however, as his joker was lacking the over-the-top theatrics long associated with the character.

Perhaps a better poll might be who was the best batman? Michael Keaton ftw!

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Jaythulhu post=18.75092.857416 said:
No, just no. I really wish that first Batman movie had never happened. It was cheesy to the max. Batman is not supposed to be cheesy. And Burton also committed the ultimate cardinal Batman sin, HE KILLED JOKER. So bad, so very very bad.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
wewontdie11 post=18.75092.857324 said:
At the risk of coming across like a Ledger fanboy, I really do think his performance in The Dark Knight was brilliant. I was incredibly sceptical about the rave reviews he in particular was getting before I saw the film, but here I am eating my all too presumptuous words. His joker was straying quite a lot from the original concept of the character but it was needed to keep the film feeling vaguely realistic, and I really did like the change as well.
The Joker has not been realistic since the 1960's. Why would we want that.

Sirisaxman

Jun 8, 2008
Jaythulhu post=18.75092.857416 said:
Little bit hard, that one.

Especially since the jokers that each actor played was a completely different era. I'm not really sure you can describe one of them as better than another.

Cesar Romero did great as a Silver/Golden Age comic interpretation, Nicholson was a legend in his performance drawing inspiration from the joker's portrayal during the 80s, and Ledger used the more contemporary late 90s early 00s joker.

Ledger was probably the weakest of the them all for me, however, as his joker was lacking the over-the-top theatrics long associated with the character.

Keaton may have been the best Batman, but I think Val Kilmer was a much better Bruce Wayne.

On topic, I voted Nicholson, cuz I haven't seen Dark Knight. :-(

Zomni42

Jul 22, 2008
some one put me down for Mark Hamill.

btw.. anyone else remember the Joker-Fish episode?

and... Most of the time, in a the Comics and cartoons, the Joker is like.. The business man from hell, well dressed, Hair slicked back.. rather straight edge with the exception of being a complete and utter psychopath that would just as much kill you as anything else. While in Dark Knight he's like.... a hippie on permanent bad LSD trip... with a lot of focus and a vague malevolent agenda.

Luno

Sep 18, 2008
I think that Heath Ledgers joker was ultimately better than Jack Nicholsons but i think that goes down to the director more than anything. I dont doubt Nicholson could play a psychotic joker but its not really Burtons style...

On another, slightly off-topic note, i feel that Aaron Eckharts performance as Harvey Dent was also a stand out but admittedly overshadowed by Heath Ledger.

Ardghal

Sep 30, 2008
I thought Ledger was the best on the silver screen because he managed to convey what I think is the very best essence of the Joker, as diluted over 60+ years of somewhat contradictory continuity; that of a man who has sat down, thought about society and decided, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett, that the rules of society don't have to apply to him as long as he doesn't want them to.

However, as the best all time Joker in any medium?

I'd have to say Mark Hamill from Batman the Animated Series, if only because he was the one I grew up with.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
I voted Nicholson, but really, surely you coulda predicted how this was going to go?

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Ledger pretty much shat all over the other Jokers. His performance was so many times better than the others that it's really not even a contest.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Heath Ledger = The Joker from "A Death in The Family" and "A Killing Joke", which are the BEST Joker books ever written.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Although the most hyped performance this year, it was a dam good performance by heath ledger, I was really surprised it lived up to the accolades.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
Fanboy post=18.75092.856903 said:
They all played a different kind of Joker so there is no best.
i agree they all did different types of the Joker so it is kinda hard to choose but i gotta also go with ledger cause of the changing story of his scars (true to the joker background) and also cause im going as him to a halloween party :)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
shadow_pirate22 post=18.75092.856970 said:
Heath Ledger was amazing as the joker. The Dark Knight probably wouldn't have done nearly as well if he didn't play the joker.
Agreed.

Heath Ledger for me, by the way.

Sep 8, 2008
the recent one is by far better, hell i couldnt even tell what actor it was until the credits rolled.

Mage26

Nov 9, 2007
Mark Hamill is the best Joker. better than Heath Ledger because he's had to do it for a lot longer and was superb every time

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Each actor played a different joker, so this kind of voting is doubly unfair cause, not only are you factoring in actor skill, but also director and writer skill.

Jack Nicholson was a joker closer to the original comics while Ledger was Nolan's more "realistic" view of the Batman universe. Personally I prefer the latter. There's something more "real" about Nolan's view and Ledger's performance as the joker. He's insane, deranged, and a psychopath, but he's also so real you can almost touch him through the screen.

Not a particularly big fan of the 60's series...at all... So, Sorry Remero you're out.

Feb 13, 2008
Fanboy post=362.75092.856903 said:
They all played a different kind of Joker so there is no best imo
This. All 4 brought something unique to their time.

Although, if it was Frank Gorshin vs Jim Carey, Frank kicks Carey's ass.

Dr. Harleen Quinzel still beats all the Mr. J's though.