Poll: Who's in the wrong here?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I had a few friends like that, it used to really get on my nerves, especially as they actually lived closer to the place we were meeting up than I did.

They were girls, and with girls they will normally use the 'I had to get ready excuse', as if the idea of perhaps "beginning to get ready earlier" never occurred to them.

A friend of mine that I used to go to the gym with was also like that. He lived a 3 minute drive away, I lived a 15 minute drive away, and yet I'd always be there first by a good five minutes.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
He's in the wrong for being a dick in general, you're in the wrong for actually agreeing to hang out with him. When you know someone isn't dependable, don't depend on them for things.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Aarowbeatsdragon said:
So today i was to meet up with a friend, we were to meet up at 1 and he did not show up untill 3. So basically i spent 2 hours alone in a shopping mall with no credit waiting for him to show up. Now before anyone says "you should have gone home" i live really far away with only two busses a day so...yeah. Well what i want to know is, him and friends said after i was VERY pissed off "its okay because he does it all the time"...this is true that he does it all the time....but that does NOT make it okay...so i want to know, is he in the wrong for being that late or am i in the wrong for getting mad when i should expect it?
I was going to say he was in the wrong like most people who took this poll, but you mentioned one very important fact.

This person is ALWAYS very late. You should've known this and taken your time getting there. Even if you did have to wait two mind-numbing hours for him to finally arrive, since he is known to do this, it is hardly fair to blame him for a fault you are already aware of and failed to take into account.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
He's Wrong.

On bright side, could have been waiting on guy for fix. Would have made anxious 2 hours much worse. Wouldn't be posting about it online if that were true, though; other things on your mind.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
This person is ALWAYS very late. You should've known this and taken your time getting there. Even if you did have to wait two mind-numbing hours for him to finally arrive, since he is known to do this, it is hardly fair to blame him for a fault you are already aware of and failed to take into account.
you seemed to miss the part where i said that there are only 2 buses during the day because i live in the countryside, and the bus stops not even close to my house. So basically i HAVE to go in for 1 o clock and he knows this and agreed to it.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
JimB said:
I'll admit I'm a tad suspicious of the honesty of someone whose reaction to this situation is to take an online poll asking for validation. It reeks not so gently of the ulterior.

Anyway, of the story provided, the late dude is wrong.
As i've already said its to see if im the only person in the world that thinks just because someone does something all the time it doesnt make it right. I mean if i killed people all the time it wouldnt make it right would it?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Elect G-Max said:
This is probably the first-ever online poll in which one option picks up more than 95% of the votes.

We have finally been united in a common cause: the belief that your friend is a total dick.
Finally, a common belief that unites us all.

We should savour this moment, and then use it as the official motto for the Escapist, since it doesn't have one.

The Escapist: Aarow's friend is a total dick.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Knowing he'll probably be late isn't the same thing as knowing he'll be a full two hours late. Who is your friend, Crocodile Dundee on a Walk-about?

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Punch him. Every single time.
Then, if anyone bugs you about being punchy, say "I do it all the time."

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Aarowbeatsdragon said:
So today i was to meet up with a friend, we were to meet up at 1 and he did not show up untill 3. So basically i spent 2 hours alone in a shopping mall with no credit waiting for him to show up. Now before anyone says "you should have gone home" i live really far away with only two busses a day so...yeah. Well what i want to know is, him and friends said after i was VERY pissed off "its okay because he does it all the time"...this is true that he does it all the time....but that does NOT make it okay...so i want to know, is he in the wrong for being that late or am i in the wrong for getting mad when i should expect it?
That's kind funny, I was supposed to hang out with a friend today, too, and i waited outside his house for an hour before walking home.

That was at 1pm. It's 7 hours later and not even a text from him.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
So, you're mad and you came here to have a bunch of people agree with you to make you feel better about being angry at your friend.

Did I understand that right?

Evidently, you aren't as mad as you lead on, because then you wouldn't have bothered making a topic about it. You want confirmation that what you're feeling is "right", and frankly, I can't say it is. You're frustrated at him for being late, however, it's not like it's impossible to have a good reason for being late.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Jonluw said:
DoPo said:
Jonluw said:
If what we're being told is the entire story, then he's in the wrong, but stories being told by only one of the involved parties are rarely very objectively angled.
I'd agree, however in this case it seems pretty clear cut - there was a meeting and one person was late. The other one was angry about it. Who is at fault - the guy who was late, for he didn't uphold his promise, or the other one, for the late party has a history of being late.

I don't see to what degree personal bias can warp the story. Well, maybe OP waited for one and a half hours, rather than two, or maybe just an hour, however that doesn't really change the things in his favour, if you ask me - the other person is still late.
Yes, I was talking in a general sense, but what struck me as odd about this thread was that the scenario in the OP was of the kind where there is no ambiguity whatsoever as to who is in the wrong, so I get this feeling that something else might've been going on that we don't know about: otherwise the thread wouldn't have been worth posting.
It is possible that his other friends are just huge apologists that defended the kid, making OP incensed.

I know I've been in that position before, personally. Not about being late, but about friends saying that something another kid does is A-okay if they think it will avoid conflict, not realizing that it's just encouraging said kid to continue to be a douchebag.

Edit:
Danceofmasks said:
Punch him. Every single time.
Then, if anyone bugs you about being punchy, say "I do it all the time."
This guy has the right idea. Do this.