Poll: Why all the Dislike for Jeff Dunham?

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
He has about three or four jokes per puppet. Seen him once=Hilarious! See him twice=Really? Thats it?

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Every single one of those puppets is a single mediocre joke. Extended into an entire fucking segment.
And people feel the burning need to stuff it down your throat at every opportunity. A reference or a quote or something. Usually from that fucking undead terrorist because nothing else was memorable and even that was only memorable because HOLY SHIT GUYS ISN'T THIS RISQUÉ.

But, you know, opinions. Not everyone feels the same about everything. People are free to like him and I am free to find him stupid.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I was a fan of him back around the late 80's to early 90's. Then I didn't see anything about him until after 2000, and I just lost interest. His starting stand-up comes across as lukewarm, safe opener jokes. Then he busts out a bunch of stereotype jokes with visual aids (puppets).
He used to do a lot more actual "ventriloquism" in his act. My favorite was when his puppet Peanut would get out his own puppet, which was a small version of Jeff himself. Anyway, maybe I'm just done with the guy because I've seen all his stuff a long time ago.
That and the fact that he's getting WAY TOO MUCH attention. It's like the song on the radio that never stops playing, and no matter how much you liked it at first you never want to hear anything from that band again just because you're sick of getting them shoved in your face and told how great it is.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Look, the Animals only ever made 3 good songs (one of which is awesome), but I still love em. Jeff Dunham made me laugh my ass of in the beginning, Peanut being my favorite act. And he's crazily talented. Just because he now repeats his jokes, doesn't mean I have to hate the first shows. So I guess I still love the guy.

Tjacu

Apr 17, 2011
Like other people here have said, he was funny the first time, and I still laught at that show every now and then, but his later shows have been really bad, and the show was indeed bad to say the least, and yes it was the racist jokes that made me go meh....

Tropico1

Aug 27, 2008
I like the guy just fine. That said, I only ever watched his first special and a few videos on youtube. I agree that if I started watching him all the time it would quickly get old, but that begs the question... WHY would I start watching a ventriloquist act all the time in the first place??

He's fine for what he is... a guy you go see perform one night out, go "wow that guy's got talent" and then move on. There are thousands of acts that are like that. I mean, I love STOMP, but I only ever went twice, pretty sure I'm not gonna go again. Same thing.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Who is this Jeff Dunham you speak of?
There are some of us who don't know who he is, and although i could look him up on Google, a small video would be in place here.

Plus a different poll option of don't know would be nice.

Joel Dawson

Jun 26, 2011
I found the entirety of Spark of Insanity absolutely hilarious. However, since then, each successive thing I see gets less funny since it seems he doesn't change his jokes very much.

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
For every 1 fan someone has, they will have 10 haters.

I don't mind Jeff. He makes me laugh sometimes, but not a whole lot.

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
I had pleasant memories of him from when I was younger. (He's been around a long time.) And I dug one of his Comedy Central specials after having not seen him in so long. After that, though, he seemed to become overexposed very quickly.

Still, I don't get the scathing hate, either.

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
his jokes, while funny the first time around, lose much of their glamour when repeated. be it by your neighbors, your friends, or your family. the only truly funny one is of him talking about the dentist with peanut.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
He's a good ventriloquist, but a terrible comedian. He reinforces tired stereotypes about people. He's the kind of comedian that hillbilly yokels love to laugh at because he makes fun of Muslims and Mexicans, two things that they hate. It's not that I'm offended by him, don't give me the bullshit Mencia argument. Political incorrectness, etc. can be done well, but all he does is repackage stereotypes as puppets, that's it. I would normally say, "To each his own", but not when the man isn't just a bad comedian, but also a jerk.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
hes probably the only ventriloquist who has ever made me laugh, so i gotta have respect for the guy. its not the easiest medium to launch a career with. its like seeing a mime become as famous as Jeff is.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
I used to really like him. He had a unique style of comedy that most others at his level wouldn't even think of. And for the first couple specials it was great. But theeen...he began to run out of material, and the show was just a bad idea.

So all in all. He started great, I still like those specials, but after that...he just got...meh. I have no hate for the guy though. Just don't think he has any stand up material left.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
When most of his puppets are based around mocking a certain minority, it can get a little offensive. Is he original? Ya, he is. Is he funny? On occasions. Are some of his puppets mocking certain groups of people based on long standing stereotypes? Oh yeah.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Arguing with Myself and Spark of Insanity were excellent, but it went down the toilet after that. I love his old stuff, but I think he's lost the spark.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
So, fellow Escapists, tell me if you like Jeff Dunham and what you like about him (I don't wanna feel like I'm in the minority here), and if not, why you don't like him. But please try to be civil about it, okay?
I think he's... who the fuck is Jeff Dunham?
(3 youtube clips later)
I choose the option "Meh, he's meh".