Poll: Why are game characters never given the ability to be left handed?

Rocking Thunder

Jul 1, 2010
Whenever I play first person games, from shooters to RPG's, every game character seems to be right handed. While I understand why that is the default setting for game characters, what I dont understand is why there can not be an option for characters to be left handed. I am sure it would not be all that hard to program (just flip it around), and it is really odd for me to see a character holding a sword in his right hand, so why not just have the option? I am fine with a couple of games not having it, but I just find it odd that you can not do that. Thoughts?

bobtheorc

Jun 12, 2009
I'm sure I have played a shooter where you can change your characters hand, can't for the life of me remember what it was though.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
As a lefty from a family of lefty's...never given a flying fuck. Right handed people are just more common, the end.

I remember it was pretty cool in the original Black & White though that you could make your "God Hand" your left hand.

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
bobtheorc said:
I'm sure I have played a shooter where you can change your characters hand, can't for the life of me remember what it was though.
In Red Dead Redemption you can switch views (when aiming your gun) from right to left by using the d-pad.

If that's what you mean...

Mar 30, 2010
I can see it really screwing up the animations, to be honest. Take two right (or left) handed combatants - the shield arm of each fighter faces the sword arm of their opponent, and combat animations look natural. But if a left handed fighter and a right handed fighter are in combat, both opponents shield arms are opposite each other, as are the sword arms. To use existing animations would look totally unnatural, and obviously developers have decided the cost of motion-capturing and rendering the new animations that would be needed is not worth the expense.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
In skyrim it looks like you can assign anything you want to either hand. Also not technically a shooter but in InFamous you can make Cole left handed

Rocking Thunder

Jul 1, 2010
Well I can see for like swordfighting games, but what about shooters, I mean I dont think it would screw up animations if your cod character was lefthanded

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
In Counterstrike there is a command to switch, and CS is on PC so dont say its not easy.

ChaosDragon

Jun 26, 2008
Link from LoZ was always lefthanded; they had to flip the controls for Twilight Princess because more people are right-handed and use the Wii remote as such...

the GC version is still lefthanded tho.

and mo-cap and whatnot is not that big of a deal. all animators have to do is flip everything

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
Rocking Thunder said:
Jmurray21 said:
Have you not played guitar hero or rock band
I was talking more shooters or RPG's
Yeah I know. I'm just screwing with you.
I agree with the left handed option. it should be in there for RPG's as it's part of the 'becoming the character' RPG's boast about.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
You can change it to left handed in Counter-Strike but yeah that kinda thing isn't often done in games.

Probably because it takes more time to set up than just going with right handed and it doesn't really make much of a difference gameplay-wise.

Maleval

Feb 2, 2011
Counter-Strike had the option. Don't know about CS:S, though.
Also in Advent Rising you would equip weapons or powers to both hands using the left and right mouse buttons (I played the PC version) to activate the corresponding weapon/power, and since you usually fire with the left button in other games, the character ended up left-handed for the part of the game, where guns were relevant.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Some games do (CS comes to mind, though I may be wrong [having not played it for a while]) but a lot of the time it isn't really worth the effort. I'd feel safe saying that the majority of the gaming population is right handed, and out of those that are left handed, few would decide not to buy a game because of it.
Developers probably see the effort as being put to a better use by using it to improve other features. At least, thats what they like to think they do. Sometimes they just screw everything up instead.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
Not saying it's the right attitude but I assume it's too much extra work for developers to include something most lefties don't care about anyway.