Poll: Why do lots of people hate Heavy Metal?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Bludge said:
omega 616 said:
Seriously, I have heard drum and bass blasted from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning, I have heard it blasted on buses, heard it from cars racing round from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning and you can hear from one end of the street to the other.
Whats that got to do with anything i said? just out of interest.

omega 616 said:
No music is "hard" or "inaccessable" to get into, go to youtube, type in a band name you have heard of in whatever field you want to get into and follow the links to find other bands in the same field.
And what about when your metaller frends tell you that band you have been listening to suck and you should listen to another band that dont do anything for you, and if you dont and carry on listening to the stuff you like you get ostracised by half the people you know?

That and the fact that it just plain is a difficult genre to get into depending on what you are listening to. if someone comes from listening to main stream pop and then someone plays them some anaal nathrakh, are you honestly telling me its not gonna all sound the same to them until their ears start to pick out the things they have never had to listen out for before?

omega 616 said:
There are people in metal who get very angry when you incorrectly pigeon hole a band, those same people are also in every other group, or get angry about some other bull shit.
Oh i totally agree, you find those people everywhere, but in my personal experience it is the most concentrated and the most aggressive within the metal scene.

omega 616 said:
I have met far more ignorant and arrogant people outside of metal, all coming up with the exact same point "it is all just loud noise and I can't understand the singer" then go onto the typical "all metal fans are dirty satanists who want to suck the devils cock and they should all die in a fire" or "there all dirty emo's who cut themselvs with dity, rusty razer blades".
And im just saying that the most outspoken and agressive people with opinions that shallow have been within the metal crowd.

omega 616 said:
It's like me saying "all drum and bass is, is some heavy bass line and melody over the top. Only simple minded people listen to it while there racing corsa's pissed on stella", when in fact I like pendulum, blood sugar and slam (tarantula isn't bad either).
That made me laugh because i actually drive a corsa. haha. dont drink stella though.
I can't remember, but something provoked it.

I don't have friends, people wind me up (hey, come to this place at this time. So you turn up and they have forgotten about you ... for example). When I do talk about music it is only to people who aren't into metal.

Thats kind of obvious, from stuff that lacks any kind of musical depth to complex riffs and stuff, they are going to be "what the hell is this".

I would have to disagree, since most metal lovers dress a certain way and when the other groups see this attire they go on the "fuckin' dirty goffs", hell a girl got killed by a group of people 'cos the way she dressed.

Again I have to disagree, mainly 'cos it's exactly the same as the last point.

Osalot_TH said:
"I like pendulum, blood sugar and slam (tarantula isn't bad either)."

Tarantula is by Pendulum...just fyi.

And my two cents to this would be that people hate Metal for a lot of reasons, most of them ignorant...and religious.
So are slam and blood sugar.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
TonyCapa said:
Cormyre said:
There's some great bands out of Italy \m/_
Didn't want to quote him this much to say I'm Canadian or Italian descent but it's still enough for people to say "Your italian, you people don't like metal".
Lol that's about like someone coming up to my girlfriend and being like "you're black, you people don't like metal"

I can only think of two Italian bands I listen to off the top of my head, and one is defunct (Power Symphony), but Lacuna Coil will never die... they just get more... radio friendly

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Probably the same reason that those of us that like metal don't like country, rap, pop, etc. Just not our 'thing'. Oh, and just to throw this in, Nu Metal sucks ass, I don't care what anyone says.

Bludge

Jul 19, 2009
omega 616 said:
Bludge said:
omega 616 said:
Seriously, I have heard drum and bass blasted from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning, I have heard it blasted on buses, heard it from cars racing round from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning and you can hear from one end of the street to the other.
Whats that got to do with anything i said? just out of interest.

omega 616 said:
No music is "hard" or "inaccessable" to get into, go to youtube, type in a band name you have heard of in whatever field you want to get into and follow the links to find other bands in the same field.
And what about when your metaller frends tell you that band you have been listening to suck and you should listen to another band that dont do anything for you, and if you dont and carry on listening to the stuff you like you get ostracised by half the people you know?

That and the fact that it just plain is a difficult genre to get into depending on what you are listening to. if someone comes from listening to main stream pop and then someone plays them some anaal nathrakh, are you honestly telling me its not gonna all sound the same to them until their ears start to pick out the things they have never had to listen out for before?

omega 616 said:
There are people in metal who get very angry when you incorrectly pigeon hole a band, those same people are also in every other group, or get angry about some other bull shit.
Oh i totally agree, you find those people everywhere, but in my personal experience it is the most concentrated and the most aggressive within the metal scene.

omega 616 said:
I have met far more ignorant and arrogant people outside of metal, all coming up with the exact same point "it is all just loud noise and I can't understand the singer" then go onto the typical "all metal fans are dirty satanists who want to suck the devils cock and they should all die in a fire" or "there all dirty emo's who cut themselvs with dity, rusty razer blades".
And im just saying that the most outspoken and agressive people with opinions that shallow have been within the metal crowd.

omega 616 said:
It's like me saying "all drum and bass is, is some heavy bass line and melody over the top. Only simple minded people listen to it while there racing corsa's pissed on stella", when in fact I like pendulum, blood sugar and slam (tarantula isn't bad either).
That made me laugh because i actually drive a corsa. haha. dont drink stella though.
I can't remember, but something provoked it.

I don't have friends, people wind me up (hey, come to this place at this time. So you turn up and they have forgotten about you ... for example). When I do talk about music it is only to people who aren't into metal.

Thats kind of obvious, from stuff that lacks any kind of musical depth to complex riffs and stuff, they are going to be "what the hell is this".

I would have to disagree, since most metal lovers dress a certain way and when the other groups see this attire they go on the "fuckin' dirty goffs", hell a girl got killed by a group of people 'cos the way she dressed.

Again I have to disagree, mainly 'cos it's exactly the same as the last point.
Anyone who dresses in a certain way is going to have another group dislike them for it, thats just life. Metallers think exactly the same way about chavs, townies, emos, surfers etc. there is always gonna be a stereotype attached to certain styles.

And yes i know about Sophie, and its fucking tragic, but i wonder if you would have brought that point up if it had been a group of metallers that had killed a chav?

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Listening to Metal/Heavy Metal usually makes me happy. If someoene kills himselves and he was a metal fan he would rather have emotional problems. You should look into that instead of blaming it onto the music he listens. And I present you Sentenced my favorite Metal band.

<youtube=1DVDQwkYRCk>

<youtube=hb2IyBzXGiU>

Best song title ever

Nov 27, 2010
The reason a lot of people don't like metal where I live is because they've never listened to it. Seriously, I have heard the sentence "how can you listen to metal, it's just a bunch of shouting and banging" a bazillion times in my life, and it really pisses me off, because people's for it comes from sheer fucking ignorance.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I don't like Heavy Metal because I don't like the sound of it (the Guitar Riffs and the screaming...yeah no. I am well aware that a lot of Metal doesn't involve the latter, though), and I don't really like the culture behind it. You know, the ridiculous hair, spiked gloves, motorcycle and excessive amounts of black leather. That's really minor though, it's mainly because it just doesn't sound nice to me.

For the record, I'm a big electro/techno/synthpop fan.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Bludge said:
Anyone who dresses in a certain way is going to have another group dislike them for it, thats just life. Metallers think exactly the same way about chavs, townies, emos, surfers etc. there is always gonna be a stereotype attached to certain styles.

And yes i know about Sophie, and its fucking tragic, but i wonder if you would have brought that point up if it had been a group of metallers that had killed a chav?
We think that about chavs and townies 'cos the jews thought that about nazi's, we hae the ones that torment us.

I have yet to see or hear of a group of goths/whatever attack a group of chavs/townies.

I wouldn't know 'cos like I have said, I have yet to hear or see something like that happen.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Because their first view of Heavy Metal is Bikers, Death Metal, and bands like Papa Roach or Slipknot. They then think it's all like that. That or something bad in their life happened that was tangentially related to heavy metal.
Also, because people are ignorant dicks. No one can just agree to disagree about their preferred music.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
I don't hate heavy metal. It's just really hit or miss with me. More often miss. Then again the metal I like tends to have somewhat less vocals and that's how I am about any genre. I like the instruments not the voices. I was brought up on classical and jazz so I'm probably kind of jaded. The fashion doesn't bother me because I can care less about your clothes as long as they're clean and don't look like you fell in a giant blender.

With other people though it seems to be more the fashion and that the little metal they heard sounds incredibly angry. They then lump everything together as trash, demonic music or whatever. Then again many of those people seem to hate anything that wasn't around in their childhood, so to me it's another case of, "This current generation is moral-less/useless."

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I enjoy some bands. Kopriklaani (folk metal), Black Sabbath, Metalica, Blind Guardian... That's pretty much it. As a whole genre, I like it, but not enough to look for new bands zealously.

pipers_r_gods

Jun 18, 2009
I actually think it's a little bit of an odd question to ask why people like the kinds music they listen to. I love metal myself, but I started out loving classical music and jazz music first. A person's taste in music comes from how they are introduced to that music and the kinds of experiences they have with that music as well. Even though I love rock and metal I actually play bagpipes, and that's a type of music that not a lot of people can get into, but for me I think it's the most beautiful sound on Earth.
So, for the most part, I would say that a person's taste in music is subjective and based off their past experiences. It is not, however, right to demean someone for their tastes in music.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I dislike alot of heavy metal as to me it sounds like littel more then discordant music with shouting/screaming and little actual talent, as well as the fact that I find it very hard to connect emotionally to it, however there's a fairly large number of metal bands that I love- Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Brocas Helm to name a few

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
OP: about the depressed guy: WTF? metal is not depressing music... Depression is generally considered an inability to feel any emotion apart from despair. Metal is a music to call fire into your soul. I don't see it being considered depressing music.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
BrokenBoySoldier said:
little actual talent
When you can play an instrument as well as the average metal musician or write a song as musically complex as the average metal song you can state that you don't need any talent to do it. Or, on the other hand, having learnt all of that you would understand that a lot more work and understanding goes into it than you currently realise.

adam352

Jan 11, 2010
Funny story:

A friend once tried to have a go at me for listening to 'emo' music (not my only genre) because it is depressing.

I cited a fallout boy album which is very up-beat in pretty much every song

He told me it was depressing because of the lyrics

He listens to heavy metal, a genre with some very depressing lyrics (especially in his favourite songs)

My point, I think irrational dislike of music genre's happens everywhere, myself I'd be happy with an 'its just not my thing' instead of a rant that makes no sense

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Heavy metal takes a different mindset to get itno sometimes. Especially genres like death and black. To me it's not just the abrasive noise that it creates that turns people off, but the odd timings and noises and things.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
This is a very interesting topic. For one I am black(African American...whatever), and I listen to primarily Rock/Alt Rock. People assume that I primarily listen to rap/R&B and get all weirded out when they see my ipod which has collectively maybe 30 rap/R&B songs vs thousands of Rock songs.

To make a long story short, most people that have commented on this dynamic automatically assume that most of my music is "Metal". They classify Pearl Jam, Korn(sorry can't do the backwards R), System Of A Down, etc as "Metal". This says to me that their problem with "Metal" is not the music itself but some stereotype they have in their minds. So take it with a grain of salt that opinions are personal(even when mis-informed) and don't let it get you down that people are ignorant.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
GiantRaven said:
BrokenBoySoldier said:
little actual talent
When you can play an instrument as well as the average metal musician or write a song as musically complex as the average metal song you can state that you don't need any talent to do it. Or, on the other hand, having learnt all of that you would understand that a lot more work and understanding goes into it than you currently realise.
Anyone can learn to pick up and play an instrument, the talent you speak of comes from being able to create something which sounds good, which to my ears 70% of metal does not, but then theres no accounting for differing tastes, especially in something as diverse and divisive as music

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I must say some of the metal is really good in music quality. I'm not a fan though.

One thing I cannot grasp is... the huge drum sets and overdone drum rolls. What is the point? I much rather have the guy hit one fatass drum that blows your head off once every second than ten tiny hits in under a second that barely scratch the bass out of the speakers.

It's still good, though. Sometimes I stumble upon some good pieces and can't think of anything other than "wow". Just a matter of general taste, not musical appreciation.