Poll: Why do people text so much?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Alright so this question popped in my mind from seeing people texting everywhere I go, whether it be in college or anywhere I go to I always see people spending so much time texting when they could have just said what they were typing in 10 seconds. My feelings about texting can be best explained in the video below, now just so you know I don't think people are stupid for texting I'm just flabbergasted on why people text so much everyday.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
i text because its easier to read then to make out wat a person is saying on the phone
it also lets me start and pickup a conversation anytime i want
pictures are also a plus.
ps. nice avatar

Emendo5

Mar 25, 2009
I prefer talking myself, but I can see why you would want to text. You can start a conversation whenever and you can do so without someone else in the room hearing what your saying

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I only text when I don't want to spend the time calling someone.
Sure, it's retarded if you're going to hold a conversations, but if it's a quick exchange of information, then it's good.
Plus, if your signal sucks, using texts to communicate is a lot less frustrating than having to search for a signal all the time.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
It's so they can they can train their Thumbs to the point that they can pierce Steel, obviously

That, or it's a quick way to talk without having to worry about loud people making it hard to hear the person you're talking to.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
So I can have pointless conversations without awkward silences. I find it easier to talk over texts and Live Messenger and such. But it's also the best way to misunderstand what someone says, which is a huge disadvantage to me.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
I don't enjoy talking to people on the phone, so when I have to communicate, I usually go with a text.

That is, unless it's something really important that requires a lot of discussion, or one of the few people I can hold a phone conversation with without wanting to throw my phone out of the nearest window.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I like it because you dont have to respond to them.
"Hey man! it's me! that one douchebag you hate! i was just wondering if you wanted to come hang out with me and some other douchebags and do douchebaggy things!" and when he confronts me the next day, because of texting i can be like;
"oh! sorry! im out of texts (or it didnt go through or something) I'm sorry i misssed your douchebag milkshake love affair, text me next time!" I love texting.

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Texting is good for when you have about three minutes to quickly ask a question, make a statement or just generally shoot the breeze. You can answer them whenever you want, as quickly as you want. People think they are impersonal, and they are, but only if you have a full blown conversation with them. Using a device that lets you talk to people whenever and whereever you are, only to write the conversation? Yeah, weird.

Zetsubou

Sep 14, 2009
Quick exchanges of information and starting informal conversations are what I use it for.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Mostly I use it to say things that don't require an answer; things that would make a phone call a bit redundant. Otherwise face-to-face.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Composer said:
i text because its easier to read then to make out wat a person is saying on the phone
ps. nice avatar
Yeah, but there's no emotion or tone of voice when texting which can confuse somebody if they are read a text that was meant to be sarcastic or not to be taken seriously.

PS. Thank you for your comment on my avatar :D

I am Jack's profile

Aug 13, 2009
I think it is good for little tibits of information

"be ther in 5"
"where are you"
"are we goning today"

You know things with one word answers.

Not for like full on conversations

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
Marik2 said:
Composer said:
ps. nice avatar
Yeah, but there's no emotion or tone of voice when texting which can confuse somebody if they are read a text that was meant to be sarcastic or not to be taken seriously.

PS. Thank you for your comment on my avatar :D
and thus emoticons where born
sarcastic comments usually followed by >.>
but i get ur point...

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Because sometimes its easier than calling someone.

"What train are you catching tomorrow" or "When are you free?" doesn't really need an entire phone call.

Rimefrost

Mar 30, 2009
Texting is convenient for me whenever my roommate is sleeping in and I'm trying to be quiet, or when I'm in a loud place where people will not be able to hear me over the phone.

That and sometimes it's nice to have an automatic record of what you were discussing. Like if I text someone for what a certain homework assignment is, I can go back and check on what they sent.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
zen5887 said:
Because sometimes its easier than calling someone.

"What train are you catching tomorrow" or "When are you free?" doesn't really need an entire phone call.
Yeah, but how long does it take to type that? If you would call to ask that it be over in 5 seconds with an instantaneous reply back. I'm the type of person who likes to get things quickly.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I text because it's cheaper than calling. I have unlimited texting.

Though I prefer calling by a wide margin.