Poll: Why do they think I'm a bot?

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Hitokiri_Gensai said:
yesterday i got one that was upside down and backward. how the hell am i supposed to enter that crap!?
Same thing happened to me.
OT: I don't really mind captchas. But I don't like the ad ones that say describe this brand in X amount of words.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
What an intelligent bot, pointing out the flaws in a system so we don't expect you of being a bot. Nice try but we're on to you.

Things like this are best sent via message to the community manager I believe. Don't expect some uprising to occur because the mods get tired of seeing this bullshit i'm sure. There are numerous instances where people have tried to protest things and have actually got massive support and yet not a damn thing gets done. I think once or twice something got fixed, like the blob adds that jumped out and automatically started playing.

AbyssalSanhedrin

May 8, 2010
aprilmarie said:
Rawne1980 said:
aprilmarie said:
thank you? Are you saying my eyes are seductive? cause that is an actual photo of myself from about 2 weeks ish ago....

So my girlfriend needs a new toy......(sorry couldn't resist that one and too lazy to actually do a topic)
You certainly do have that look.

I believe I once heard them called "come to bed with me eyes".

umm...thanks...I was squinting due to the sun being in my eyes but it was the better angle for the colours in my hair......
Haha awkward internet chat-up incoming.

On-topic: Was going to post about how I've never seen a captcha on the escapist but then I get one for this post. Celestial conspiracy or poetic justice? You be the judge.

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
Wow i got a captcha for this post and it was even just straight up letters one of the words looked like a two year old was given a crayon and told to make a cow on it.

OT: It may be a way to detect bots but if someones account gets hacked by a bot then its not that hard to just take steps to remove the account. Its not like having a bot or two start posting because the system isnt designed to deal with high post accounts being hacked by a bot (or more likely someone who ruins bots because lets face it how often will bots no how to hack) will cause the entire site to go down and all the info to be lost.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well the way it's currently implemented, it isn't very effective anyway considering that they only pop up randomly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they need to implement the captchas into the user account creation. Presumably then if the bots can't even create user accounts then they're not going to be spamming us, are they? And that way any real live flesh and blood users will only have to deal with the captchas once and then never have to see them again. ...well at least not on this site anyway.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009

OT: the captcha's are getting a little old with me but they don't appear often enough to make me really mad at them but I would like it if they would appear less often IE never.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
AbyssalSanhedrin said:
Haha awkward internet chat-up incoming.
Would be amusing but i'm a married man.

Plus internet dating, not good at the best of times (before I met my missus I had a habit of dating mental women i'd met face to face, imagine my luck online).

Also kind of hard to flirt with all you buggers talking over me.

I was just pointing out she managed to pull off the sideways glance seductive look, turns out she was squinting at the sun.

But the plus for people reading this is if you squint and turn your head, someone may think you're giving them "the look" and it saves you trying to chat them up.

Crap dating tips brought to you by me.

Seriously, don't try it people you will probably just look strange and people will be scared at you squinted at them. I'm a 31 year old bloke thats been off the dating scene for 8 years, what I can remember about flirting you could write on a stamp. Never follow my advice .... unless it's about how to avoid shit off the wife .... I believe I have mastered that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
lunncal said:
Certain malware can access email accounts and send stuff in your name, so I imagine it's not that large a leap to go from there to making spamming forums using someone's account. That's the only reason I can see to keep Captchas for long-time members, anyway.
Never heard of that one. Dunno how that'd work. Probably never see one in all my life. Wouldn't that need to get by me lofty firewall first? 'Tis an impressive conflagration around the old compy-tor!

dmase said:
Things like this are best sent via message to the community manager I believe. Don't expect some uprising to occur because the mods get tired of seeing this bullshit i'm sure. There are numerous instances where people have tried to protest things and have actually got massive support and yet not a damn thing gets done. I think once or twice something got fixed, like the blob adds that jumped out and automatically started playing.
Dunno, man. The track record for responses I've noticed is that I get more out of a public address. I damn well killed Meebo here and sources say I changed rules, though I don't remember which ones. Long as they don't stupidly outlaw talking about it like certain programs that do things to the ads, I gots no reason not to complain.

canadamus_prime said:
Well the way it's currently implemented, it isn't very effective anyway considering that they only pop up randomly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they need to implement the captchas into the user account creation. Presumably then if the bots can't even create user accounts then they're not going to be spamming us, are they? And that way any real live flesh and blood users will only have to deal with the captchas once and then never have to see them again. ...well at least not on this site anyway.
I like that line of thinking. Frankly, if they DID do that at the start of it, they could have 'em show up LESS in the forums. Speaking of which, you said randomly, right? I thought this stuff was set to every twenty posts. Now, is that every one of MY posts, or every twenty posts on the Escapist? That part got me confused.

BTW: As a test, I've been getting them wrong on purpose, and they don't notice half the time.