Poll: Why do you buy Madden?

cptjack42

Mar 16, 2009
It's a question I ask myself every time I see people rush to buy the new madden game. I've never really been a fan of the series, but I know some of my friends are obsessed with it. So, why do you buy it every year?

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I don't, because I have no interest in football, neither the American version nor the Brazilian version.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
I'll take this from an NHL perspective considering its the same thing. I don't buy a new NHL game every year unless something revolutionary (like the Be a Pro online/offline mode) is added. This year was the first time I bought an NHL game one year after i bought NHL *previous year*. I normally buy them every other year, they seem to update the graphics engine and physics on a bi-yearly basis so I try to fall-in with those and skip the 'just a roster update and one new mode'

BTW: NHL 09 isn't great, well, it is for the first 3 weeks. Then after 3 weeks you start to notice whats missing, all the game breaking glitchs, lack of options in certain areas (creation zone especially) etc. The Be a Pro mode is the only thing that matters, and EA patchs the game like that too. All the fixes are to the Be a Pro mode and nothing else.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I'd say it's usually the appeal of new graphics and a better engine, though this isn't always this case for their seasonal sequels.

Also like Syphonz said in his post about the NHL games, that he'll buy it if a new revolutionary feature is added.

I never really play any sports games or have the desire to, only every so often I might take interest in one but we're talking 2-3 years or more. I'll usually play a couple to see how the genre has mature and progressed.

The Giggling Pin

Jan 7, 2009
I stopped buying the madden games a number of years ago when i realised that i had been doing exactly the same thing for years and hammering the computer in to the ground.

1. Give big man ball
2. Run up the middle
3. Start again when big man falls over or score and kick ball back.
4. Win
(nope, no ???? or profit here!)

I suppose i just don't like american football enough but i also felt that the game never really challenged me in the was that a soccer game does. Oh, well.

sonidraw

Mar 1, 2009
The latest copy of Madden that I have is 07, and before that it was 98. That's only two copies in the last eleven years, so I'm definitely not what you would call a devoted fan of madden.

However, I absolutely love American Football. The combination of athleticism and strategy/tactics makes it one of my favorite sports, besides baseball. Basically any sport that makes me think or generates late game suspense is a favorite of mine.

Still, I too see little difference between a copy of Madden and the copies made before and after it. If at any point I think a new Madden game actually makes some serious gameplay improvements and adds more customization, I might be interested in buying it.

The main reason I bought 07 was because in comparison to 98, there really were a lot of improvements. The process of Madden evolution is much slower than other game franchises, but it does happen.

thebestaround21

May 23, 2009
I only bought my Madden 09 because I was hoping for an amazing jump from my PS2 to 360 but i have to say I liked the PS2 version a lot better there were less bugs (screen plays and other gamer rage things) and I like football and really what they should be doing is just put the rosters on DLC and not have people pay 60 bucks for a new face and plastic packaging.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
I don't: I do not care to play or watch utter shit.

I have never purchased a sports game. If I wish to play sports, I will grab a skirt, a leather harness, a sword, a few tigers, and fucking play.

Modern sports are no fun.
We should gather as many people from the escapist as we can, then go to rome and duke it out in the colloseum. That would be awesome.

Oh and as for the topic, i don't buy madden or any other sports game... they give me less satisfaction than getting a blow-job from my vacum cleaner

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The reason I play many vidjama games is because they let me do something I would either be unable to do or would ruin my life by doing. If I wanted to play football I would get a bunch of friends and we would pretend that annoying rule about the game stopping if the ball touches the ground does not exist.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I haven't bought a Madden game since 1998, and since I only borrow my friend's copy. It's just because Madden games aren't worth the money, I just hate EA so much that they will never get another penny from me.

RobotoWorks

Aug 17, 2008
Every year, my neighborhood holds a block party, similar to burning man.
But instead of burning a "man", we each buy a Madden Game, and create a bonfire with the disks :)

sokka14

Mar 4, 2009
i buy them because every now and then i feel stupidly optimistic. even though i despise EA, i still think i'll enjoy this one.

got one fairly recently because i hadn't bought one for about 5 years.
then i remembered why it had been 5 years.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
Because... people... like to play them...???

Seriously, it's so incredibly obvious I'm not quite sure why you bothered to ask.

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
i work at a store that you pay toplay games there, and for the strangest reason, a lot of people i would consider pretty...well im not going to be polite about it, are idiots in every sense of the word, ask about a madden tourney. i have only seen those on espn, and they are shit.

the madden franchise isnt really even a game just a retred of a game older than i am, with some extra bells and whistels added on every realease.

i dont play football, i would prefer hokey, at least in there you can watch a good'ol fist fight between players.

old game, easy to milk concept= shitty in my book

Pyrrian

Oct 3, 2007
I've always liked the Madden series. There's not really much reason to buy it every single year, but I do pick up a copy every 2-3 years, depending on how things look. It's just good, clean, over-the-top fun to give the computer team a good smashing. I always have a good time making an insane created team and trying to run the score as high as possible, too.

Plus, it's kind of a nice at-home multiplayer game. A lot of games don't really lend themselves well to same-system multiplayer, as split-screens tend to suck a lot. Football, though, works pretty well.

It's also funny, because each version has a few big bugs in it. They always get fixed in the next game, but then some other big bugs come out. It's kind of a funny cycle, and it usually creates some added amusement.

Really, if EA put out a Fight Night game every other year, I'd probably buy those interspersed with a Madden game in the gaps. It'd work well.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
I don't.

I think you'll find that's the most popular answer among the Escapist.