Poll: Why do you hate the Star Wars Prequels?

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Mouse_Crouse said:
I for one do not 'hate' the prequels. However a few things did bother me. Medi-chlorians (or however the hades you spell that) and the virgin birth, bothered me. But honestly the part that bothered me the most FAR more then any other was when Padme died during childbirth, it completely contradicts Leia's story in episode VI where her and Luke have the touching heart-to-heart about how Leia remembers her mother, and how she was always sad. In fact she mentions that she died when she was very young. Young? as in 5 minutes old? c'mon! It was a good scene that gave us an honest connection between Luke and Leia, and gives meaning to why he's so upset when Vader finds that fact out.
Not quite. The Skywalker family had a deep connection with the force. If we forget the medichlorian stuff, even with the mythos of the original series it's possible that Lea remembers her mother through the life swirling energy that is the "force."

OT: I don't hate the prequels. There was so much potential that could have made them all the more better. Both Anakins should have been replaced with better actors. The kid actor I can slide a little because, well, he could at least show the emotions of a little kid. But the older Anakin was terrible at emoting. Everything he said felt like he was trying too hard to act or show emotion. The love scenes weren't enchanting in any way, they just felt too generic and bland. Nothing was special about them.

Some of the negative criticism I don't even understand. For one, the tech difference between the prequels and the original. First of all, look at the type of planets that are shown in the original: Desert, Forest, and a Tundra. Of COURSE those planets are going to have low technology, they're all hostile to live on and what not. Secondly, all the really big tech planets like Coruscant only appeared in the prequels. And even when the planets did show up in between the two sets of movies, almost nothing about them did change at all. The appearance of Mos Eisly in the prequels looked exactly the same as it did in the original, as did Coruscant at the end of Return of the Jedi.

As for Jar-Jar, I could care less. Yes, he's annoying. And like Rebecca Black and Friday, we should all get over it and move on.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Jar-Jar binks was just lulzy.

But I'm fine with almost everything pre-Yavin. I love all the lore taking place before the death of Darth Vader. All of the lore after it is pretty depressing as far as I'm concerned. You just see all your favorite characters fall to the dark side, and die. It's quite saddening.

While all the prequel lore is all about developing, and really interesting wars. KOTOR is brilliant in this respect.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I hate the prequels with a burning venom, except for Darth Maul, why you ask? That double bladed lightsaber, I don't care how unwieldy it would probably be in real life, that thing is awesome, the rest however.... did I mention that lightsaber was cool?

Oh and 5 was my favorite, something about those AT-ATs caused my childlike mind to go crazy...and it still does today

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I liked the prequels. they will never beat the originals but they are certainly good. Also, four people make them good:

Darth Maul (Holy shit he looks awesome, and double sided lightsaber!)
Qui Gon Jin (Because he's Liam Neeson)
Jango Fett (Becaause he's Jango)
Mace Windu (Because He's Samuel Jackson)

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
I don't hate them. The first one is pretty poor, although it has a few good things about it. The second one is rather good, and the third one is brilliant.

I think a lot of Star Wars would have hated the prequels no matter what they had been like. Some people just love to hate, especially sci-fi fans.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Slenn said:
The appearance of Mos Eisly in the prequels looked exactly the same as it did in the original, as did Coruscant at the end of Return of the Jedi.
I could be mistaken, but I believe the ending to RotJ Celebration scene was added in the remake in the 90s. I don't remember seeing those planets in the original release.

As for the Leia thing, I still don't buy it. They way she talks in that scene gives the impression that she actually remembers her mother, not just a 'force impression'.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Because George Lucas couldn't even direct his ass out of his chair during the production of these movies, let alone the movies themselves.

And they even managed to make Samual L. Jackson boring: If that isn't an achievement in shitty movie making, I don't know what is.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Okay, gotta pick this apart here.

DAPLR said:
Y'know for every example of love and betrayal, I thought of a perfect example from the prequels. Easy as pie. The betrayal of Anakin to the Jedi, his wife and ultiamtely himself, was portrayed excelently, I really felt like he was torn between his love for Padme and his commitment to his dream of being a Jedi, and all the burdens that come with that dream.
First off, how much did he love Padme? So much that he would never harm her? His almost casual slaying of her does not speak of any deep love, certainly not the kind that would impel him to overturn everything else he cares about. Dovetailing with my original point, much more screentime is given to the elaborate and overblown lightsaber fight than to this key moment. Heck, as much time is given to him offing Nute Gunray as Padme Amidala.

DAPLR said:
Jango was FFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR more essential to the plot than Boba Fett was in his film than Boba was in his film.. Still cool, but Jango was more fleshed out. I'm presuming were excluding the Expanded Universe which turned Boba into a wholly fleshed out character...
This is true. Boba Fett was an intriguing character precisely because he wasn't fleshed out. He had only a handful lines of dialogue and exactly one action sequence. Fans loved him because he was mysterious and they wanted more, but mostly because he had a cool helmet.

Yes, Boba Fett is extensively fleshed out in the Extended Universe. He is now a runaway prince from a world where the national uniform is the Mandalorian armor that he wears. It's called Mandalor. They have a honorable warrior code, a tradition of self-independence, and have retroactively been heavily involved in galactic history for millenia. It's all very stupid, it erases whatever individuality Boba had, and the Star Wars Universe is worse for it existing.

Jango exists solely as a shrine to Boba. Now, the universe is teeming with Fett clones because Fett DNA is genetically superior to all others. He exists because Boba Fett fans want more and Lucas is foolish enough to cater to them. He was more important to the plot, that's true. But in a story supposedly about Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, why is the plot stretching to give extra screen time to some guy he never meets?

DAPLR said:
You think people would've loved more story on the enslaved Naboo? Don't be naive.
I probably am being a bit naive here. But at least "Episode I: Escape from Naboo" would have a focal point.

DAPLR said:
Look at your precious originals and you'll see a gross step on external drama. The destruction of Leia's home planet, Alderaan. It got Leia to say, 'No' and Ben to flesh out how vast the power of the force stretches out. Thats it. Fucking ridiculous. All of her family and fiends, everything GONE. And all we hear is a no and a sad face.
You're right. Can't argue that. I will point out, though, that the story centers around Luke, which is why his parents get names, dialogue, and screen time. If the story were about Leia, all we'd get is an off-hand mention that his parents were killed by stormtroopers. And a sad face.

DAPLR said:
Fans whine and moan about the new trilogy because thats what they are. New. And something new begets change. And people hate change. So thats why I hate them.
Fair enough. Hating something for being new is bad. I hate the prequels for not being new enough. Too much is shoehorned in from the later movies. C-3PO and R2-D2 didn't need to be there. Nor did Jango and Boba. Nor did imitation stormtroopers. Tatooine didn't need to visited once, let alone twice. Even the casual lesson Ben gave Luke on the Millenium Falcon is copied. Even the pointless (and baffling) title of Princess for Leia is dragged into this movie because Amidala is a Queen. These movies needed to be doing anything but parasitizing the originals.

Give me Gray Jedi. Give me Biological Ships. I'll take new Force Powers and traditions other than Jedi and Sith. I like new things and I would've liked to see more of them.

DAPLR

Nov 11, 2010
Veylon said:
Okay, gotta pick this apart here.

DAPLR said:
Y'know for every example of love and betrayal, I thought of a perfect example from the prequels. Easy as pie. The betrayal of Anakin to the Jedi, his wife and ultiamtely himself, was portrayed excelently, I really felt like he was torn between his love for Padme and his commitment to his dream of being a Jedi, and all the burdens that come with that dream.
First off, how much did he love Padme? So much that he would never harm her? His almost casual slaying of her does not speak of any deep love, certainly not the kind that would impel him to overturn everything else he cares about. Dovetailing with my original point, much more screentime is given to the elaborate and overblown lightsaber fight than to this key moment. Heck, as much time is given to him offing Nute Gunray as Padme Amidala.

DAPLR said:
Jango was FFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR more essential to the plot than Boba Fett was in his film than Boba was in his film.. Still cool, but Jango was more fleshed out. I'm presuming were excluding the Expanded Universe which turned Boba into a wholly fleshed out character...
This is true. Boba Fett was an intriguing character precisely because he wasn't fleshed out. He had only a handful lines of dialogue and exactly one action sequence. Fans loved him because he was mysterious and they wanted more, but mostly because he had a cool helmet.

Yes, Boba Fett is extensively fleshed out in the Extended Universe. He is now a runaway prince from a world where the national uniform is the Mandalorian armor that he wears. It's called Mandalor. They have a honorable warrior code, a tradition of self-independence, and have retroactively been heavily involved in galactic history for millenia. It's all very stupid, it erases whatever individuality Boba had, and the Star Wars Universe is worse for it existing.

Jango exists solely as a shrine to Boba. Now, the universe is teeming with Fett clones because Fett DNA is genetically superior to all others. He exists because Boba Fett fans want more and Lucas is foolish enough to cater to them. He was more important to the plot, that's true. But in a story supposedly about Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, why is the plot stretching to give extra screen time to some guy he never meets?

DAPLR said:
You think people would've loved more story on the enslaved Naboo? Don't be naive.
I probably am being a bit naive here. But at least "Episode I: Escape from Naboo" would have a focal point.

DAPLR said:
Look at your precious originals and you'll see a gross step on external drama. The destruction of Leia's home planet, Alderaan. It got Leia to say, 'No' and Ben to flesh out how vast the power of the force stretches out. Thats it. Fucking ridiculous. All of her family and fiends, everything GONE. And all we hear is a no and a sad face.
You're right. Can't argue that. I will point out, though, that the story centers around Luke, which is why his parents get names, dialogue, and screen time. If the story were about Leia, all we'd get is an off-hand mention that his parents were killed by stormtroopers. And a sad face.

DAPLR said:
Fans whine and moan about the new trilogy because thats what they are. New. And something new begets change. And people hate change. So thats why I hate them.
Fair enough. Hating something for being new is bad. I hate the prequels for not being new enough. Too much is shoehorned in from the later movies. C-3PO and R2-D2 didn't need to be there. Nor did Jango and Boba. Nor did imitation stormtroopers. Tatooine didn't need to visited once, let alone twice. Even the casual lesson Ben gave Luke on the Millenium Falcon is copied. Even the pointless (and baffling) title of Princess for Leia is dragged into this movie because Amidala is a Queen. These movies needed to be doing anything but parasitizing the originals.

Give me Gray Jedi. Give me Biological Ships. I'll take new Force Powers and traditions other than Jedi and Sith. I like new things and I would've liked to see more of them.
Ugh...this is too long...gotta learn how to snip or whatever....

O.k....Anakin and Padme's relationship was that Anakin felt partially responsible for his mothers death since he arrived too late to save her. So when he got prophetic dreams of her (padmes) death, he couldn't bear to see her die too. This lead to his turn to the dark side, which was all an attempt to protect her. But when he felt that she betrayed him, he was so enraged that he actually physically hurt her. This rage was amplified by the fact he had been acting purely on his darkest emotions recently. And he didn't kill her, she lost the will to live after she gave birth. Ridiculous? Well, in a galaxy of frozen carbonites, 'talking' furballs, planet destroying battleships and magical space samurai, I think this is the most ordinary thing in this series. And her death had as much screentime as Vaders, since Vaders final peptalk to Luke is roughly as long as the birthing scene, so no, her death isn't over too quick.

Can't say much about Boba...since its hard to say much about a character with about as much screentime as Greedo -_-. So, fuck it. I can't really argue about a character thats a blank slate and for that reason, people love him. Its me saying, 'He isn't a real character', and getting the response, 'Thats why we love him'.I can't say shit, so whatever...

If the story was more focused on Naboo, you know what would happen?....'Wah wah, why are they talking about the people that everyone hates?' Everyone apparently hates Jar-Jar(I don't), so do you think spending MORE time with the Gungans would help!? And what would the story be ABOUT? Boring sob tales about stolen freedom with subliminal messaging of how people should value their freedom? We get enough of that from the first 3 Star Wars...

Epsiode 1 was an origin story. If they didn't go to Tattoine, how would they find Anakin? And if Anakin wasn't on Tattoine, why the HELL would Luke have any relatives on Tattoine!? The originals got away with a lack of origin stories because they weren't the start of the story. Were did these space Nazi's come from? Well, apparently episode 2 was ignorant enough to answer the question.

You may have a point about the drama thing...but Luke gets over his 'parents' death pretty quickly. At least Anakin showed some kind of REAL reaction. And theres a difference between, 'My parents were murdered', and, 'My home planet was destroyed'...just saying.

I feel genuinely sorry for George Lucas, LucasArts and the entire Star Wars film franchise for having to put up with fans who want and WANT AND WANT but give fits when they get it.
Seriously.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Why do I hate the Star Wars prequels? I don't. I actually liked all the Star Wars films. I even liked Jar Jar Binks. (Problem Escapists?)

The only thing I will admit is that Anakin was a bit of a whiny *****. His eventual transformation to Darth Vader made up for it though.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I hate them because they killed my dog.
I never really had a problem with them other than they seemed to drag a bit with "romance" subplots that were entirely unnecessary in a Space movie with Samurai.

Oh, and Jar Jar. At least he kept his mouth shut in the third one.

Klondisco

Aug 29, 2011
Hmm, why did I hate them? Well, I didn't. I was six when I first watched them, and I loved them. I really didn't understand the story, or why some people had the force and I didn't, but I saw lots of explosions. Lots. I knew that it was all Jedi V. Sith in the end, and that Anakin was important somehow. I laughed at some of the jokes and I actually did enjoy the movies.

Then I watched them again, and thought they were pretty stupid. I mean, R2 taking out the two droids in the hanger? The little puns that Obi-Wan has in the 3rd one? I still enjoyed some of the fight scenes, but it all seemed kind of unexciting to me now.

You do have to remember they were always intended to be kids movies, and still are. Just because you don't enjoy them now doesn't mean that some kid wont. I do still like the story, but really to me it just seems like I grew out of it. And I was a major, major Star Wars fan when I was a kid.

Just my two cents.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I do not hate them but they are not good. I am on the internet talking about the Star Wars prequels. I have lived this moment many times before.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
I loved the prequels. maybe I liked them because I saw the phantom menace the same time I saw the original ones, so the tech seemed to mesh together well. I didn't mind the story and the action scenes are amazing. that said, the originals are really good as well. the story is simpler and interesting and funny. I think a slightly different mindset for each set of three would works well. Although the last time I watched them all I gained a renewed appreciation of the old ones. maybe I just like the flashiness of the new ones because I was in my mid teens last time I saw them.