Poll: Why do you hate the Star Wars Prequels?

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
Jar Jar - very bad
The actor who played anikin in episodes 2 + 3 - my least favorite actor of all time. ruined star wars for me.

however, i liked episodes 1+3. in 1 anikin was ok and i loved qui gon
episode 3 was action packed so i could look past anikin

i was fine with episode 2 but i hated anikin

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
twistedmic said:
First, there was Jar-Jar, which in and of itself is a crime.
The tech in the prequels was more advanced than the tech in the original trilogy. I hated how flashy and flippy-twirly the lightsaber battles got, they looked more like gymnastic events than actual fights.
The story and dialogue were god awful, the 'love story' was laughable, and the explanation of the force was fucking idiotic.
About the Tech thing and the gymnastic fights the Jedi order was a lot stronger and the republic with it before the Empire was created so that could see a degradation of tech and the Jedi's skills would lessen They where at the height of there power in the prequels so they would be diminished in the originals.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Well, I was thinking recently about the prequels, their flaws, and what I'd do if I could redo them, and I've arrived at a few conclusions;

1 - The original trilogy was sort of pieced together from pulp sources, a influenced from this or that, westerns and samurai movies, and then it was all launched into space, which just made it more awesome. The prequels on the other hand seem to have been made with the goal of "a Star Wars movie", so it just kind of feels like they're aping the old ones.
2 - This one is just my personal grievance, but their was WAY too much CGI in the prequels, and it's all really obvious. Worse of all, It's on stuff that didn't need CGI, like the clone troopers. Why did they have to CGI their armor on? It probably would have cost far less to just outfit a few dudes with plastic armor.
3 - The story. Just.... The story. So boring. I think one big mistake was that they pretty much just wasted Episode 1 on setup, then half of Episode 2. Did the original waste time on settinf up the backstory of the Rebellion? Hell no, they just dropped us right in. Also, how mundane was the story of the prequels? The Trade Federation tries to secede because of bad trade agreements or some shit? Boring. Maybe if the prequels had shown a younger Empire headed by the charismatic Emperor Palpatine slowly wresting power from the Republic, that would have been interesting.
4 - Timeskips, the original trilogy told more or less one story, with only necessary timeskips, the prequels had one when Anakin was 10, then they skipped 10 years, thn the skipped 3 more, it was all over the place. Plus, who in their right mind timeskips over a goddamn war? War is interesting okay? It just is, seeing to massive forces duke it out in the SW universe would have been awesome.
5 - Bad characterization. Jar Jar, the love story. All boring.

And now my breakdown of the individual movies.
Ep. 1 - My least favorite, because while all of the SW movies have been at the core, kids movies, this is the first one that really felt like it was meant for kids and only kids. Plus, the story that it tells really doesn't feel necessary to the mythos.
Ep. 2 - Tons of unnecessary and glaringly bad CGI and an awful romance. I think that this probably would have worked better as Ep. 1. Just straight to the good bits without unnecessary exposition in the Phantom Menace.
Ep. 3 - Not terrible in my opinion, but Anakin's fall to the Dark Side wasn't as great as it should have been. I did however, like Order 66 and the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan, the rest of the movie was flat though.
Overall the prequels had a lot of cool ideas but didn't execute them well, still I did like some elements of them, such as Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Grievous, Jango Fett and Boba Fett's definite origin story, the improved lightsaber duels, and that sort of stuff. Still, all that stuff was misused and pushed to the sideline in favor of angst.
As for the original trilogy.
Ep. 4 - My least favorite of the originals, it was really slow and spent so much time building things up.
Ep. 5 - The best, by general consensus, and my favorite. All the set-up was out of the way and they were able to just dive right in without explaining everything.
Ep. 6 - Great, save for the whole, ANOTHER DEATHSTAR thing feeling uninspired and the goddamn Ewoks. If only they'd gone with the original Wookie plan.

Also, I think the prequels would have been way better if they'd gone with this fan theory. (It's # 1.)
http://www.cracked.com/article_19266_5-movie-fan-theories-that-make-more-sense-than-movie_p2.html

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I for one do not 'hate' the prequels. However a few things did bother me. Medi-chlorians (or however the hades you spell that) and the virgin birth, bothered me. But honestly the part that bothered me the most FAR more then any other was when Padme died during childbirth, it completely contradicts Leia's story in episode VI where her and Luke have the touching heart-to-heart about how Leia remembers her mother, and how she was always sad. In fact she mentions that she died when she was very young. Young? as in 5 minutes old? c'mon! It was a good scene that gave us an honest connection between Luke and Leia, and gives meaning to why he's so upset when Vader finds that fact out.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Man, I wrote an entire article on another thread detailing why I don't like them, and why I believe the third one is the worst out of the lot. Short answer is that those movies took canon and shot it out of a cannon. If you want, I'll go dig up the thread and post the link.
Yes please.
Sorry for the double post, wasn't sure if you'd get the alert if I just editted the quote into my previous post.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Episode 3 has the absolute worst "NO!" in the history of film history.

I also hate how The Clone Wars came about and introduced Asoka and a shitload of other new characters. I can't wait for them to all die though. That'll be pretty great since you know they're all doomed.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
TimeLord said:
I liked Episode 1 and 3. Yes Episode 2 was laughably awful with the "love story" and Anakin's angst.
I much prefer the impressive saber battles in the prequels than the original trilogy.
Episode 1.... naaaah.
2 is more tolerable. Jango Fett!
Episode 3 is only tolerable for the inevitability of things going horribly wrong, which they did quite well.

ALYKZANDYR

May 9, 2011
I like all 3 originals the same. all true classics. The prequels are ok. I still enjoyed them just not as much as the first ones.

SideSmash

May 24, 2011
I don't hate them. I thought Episode I was fine, and I still don't get the whole Jar-Jar hate. I don't love his character, but I don't hate it either. Episode II I haven't seen, and Episode III was fucking awesome.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
Episode 3 has the absolute worst "NO!" in the history of film history.

that video encapsulates the biggest part of why the prequels failed in my opinion.

also due to the fact that star wars got into politics and realism..... that is star treks domain

star wars(originals) was basically a fantasy story in space... luke has to save the princess and the kingdom from the evil king and his dark knight... no midichlorian non sense

Dec 27, 2010
twistedmic said:
First, there was Jar-Jar, which in and of itself is a crime.
The tech in the prequels was more advanced than the tech in the original trilogy. I hated how flashy and flippy-twirly the lightsaber battles got, they looked more like gymnastic events than actual fights.
The story and dialogue were god awful, the 'love story' was laughable, and the explanation of the force was fucking idiotic.
I couldn't put it better myself. Still, the Phantom Menace's soundtrack was alright...

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
When ever there is a worst movies ever thred or movies you wish never exsisted thred or you can unmake X amount of movies thred the Star Wars Prequels are always there. Now I agree completely but nobody ever says why.

For example I hate basicaly every thing about them. I like the lightsaber fights but although they are very quick with lots of flips and twirls they have none of the impact the original lightsaber fights had. This alone is not enough to save them.

The worst things about them are:
1. they ruined Yoda. Yoda was suppost to be so wise and powerful that he was beyond needing a lightsaber but then they go and give him one and it looks stupid.
2. The really, really, really, really bad love story. I was so happy when Anikan went all dark side because it ment I would not have to watch any more bad love story acting.

So what do you think? Have I missed anything out? If you actually liked them explain why?

And about the poll I picked Empire. One of the BEST MOVIES EVER.
I've never really been a fan of Star Wars. I like ep. 5, mainly for it's visuals and the battle scene on the snow planet but that's also where the plot "happens" and it's not that bad of a plot, so yeah. The parts with Luke, Vader and the emperor in ep. 6 are nice as well.

The prequels?
ep. 1 - booooooooooooooooooooooooooring
ep. 2 - flashy and dumb
ep. 3 - just an excuse to kill off everyone who isn't in ep. 4-6

I like to watch them with Rifftrax commentary, though.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Here's my opinion on the prequel trilogy:

Episode 1: Honestly, I don't hate it. Barring Jar Jar (who is horrendous), I thought it really wasn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Episode 2: Pretty bad. The only scene in this entire movie that I actually LIKED was when Yoda busted out the lightsaber. Otherwise, I saw it once, and never went back.

Episode 3: Never saw it. Didn't see the point. I already knew EXACTLY what was going to happen (Jedi die, Anakin becomes Vader, etc), and I didn't feel like wasting my money or time after how bad the last one was.

cridia

Aug 2, 2009
Anakin as a kid, enough said. Ranks right up there with the Chinese kid from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Well, okay, that one is a little worse, but still.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Episode 1:

Dodgy CGI.
Jar Jar Binks was the most annoying thing ever.
Young Anakin was the second most annoying thing ever.
A lot of the supporting cast couldn't act for sweets.
George Lucas did his best to stop The Force being interesting.

Other than that though it wasn't terrible. Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson were good, the score was great, and I liked the action scenes.

Episode 2:

Most of the characters spend 90% of the movie doing fuck all.
Bringing Jar Jar back for just a 1 minute cameo when they could have just as easily forgotten his existence.
There are no words to express just how cringe worthy the romance was.
CGI still dodgy (though a little better than the first one).
Adolescent Anakin being just as annoying as young Anakin, but now with added teenage angst.

There were still some redeeming features though. Ewan McGregor, Samuel L Jackson and Christopher Lee were good. Action scenes were good, and I liked seeing Yoda actually fight, that was awesome.

Episode 3:

Romance still annoying.
Anakin still annoying, and this time every decision he makes is so retarded you want to yell at the screen.
All the tradgedy and melodrama about the fall of the Republic and the rise of the Sith fell flat because it was all happening to people you didn't care about.

Where Episode 3 really falls down though is the action. While this was the saving grace of the first 2, In 3 they just had so much of it that it lost all it's impact. The light Saber fights (which had been athletic but well paced before) were now just trying too hard and had no pacing at all.

The CGI was a lot better this time around though, and I liked General Grievous.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Why the prequels to Star Wars sucked?
Well, I can explain that in one word: Midi-chlorians.
Words cannot express how much I hated George Lucas when that one had sunk in...

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
Because they shoe-horn things from the previous movies into these to create "continuity," lack any feeling that the old movies had, and had actors that you didn't even need. Seriously, everything else was fabricated and done with green screen so why bother with actors? Just go all out and make everything CGI.

That animated Clone Wars miniseries made by Gendy Tartakovsky (probably misspelled his name but he made Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab) is what I can call the best thing that the prequels created because it had pretty good action and it was enjoyable... which then got ruined as well by making that into a kid's show using CGI like that movie nobody saw.

Lucas can do whatever he wants with his properties since they are his, but I can't agree with some decisions he has made. Bottom line, I don't care much for the prequels for better or worse.